What's new

Derby help!

I know there are a lot of Derby lovers here, so I'm curious how many shaves on average you get from them?

I've used 6-7 Merkur blades for 15-20 shaves and recently switched to a Derby.

It was the best shave I'd had to date.

Then I used the same blade for a second time and had all sorts of irritation.

Everything else was pretty constant:
Showered and scrubbed face
Applied a little CF pre-oil
Whipped up some CF sandlewood cream (was a little wetter than usual)
Then went to town. Usually 2 WTG and 1 ATG with some additional spotting here or ther.

Only this time, I had to use the alum block all over my face. Its not so bad today.. (I shave at night.)

I finish it all of with some coral skin food. (I'm pretty darn happy with that stuff.)

I have curly hair, but I dont think its so think. Though my girlfriend swears its like sandpaper after a two days...

Is two uses too much out of such a 'smooth' blade?

I'll of course pop a new one in tonight or tomorrow morning and see what I can get, or maybe I should try one last time with the same one just to figure it out?

Maybe a bad blade? The Derbies I tried out all went for 3 shaves. I've had one bad blade so far-- a Kai that on the first day was nothing short of incredible but for some reason on the second shave ate my face. Turned out the edge was damaged. I don't know if the razor got dropped on something while I wasn't looking or what. The next blades have not had this problem.

I'd say give another blade a go, and if that doesn't work, your face may just be suited to one shave on the Derby.

recently switched to a Derby.

It was the best shave I'd had to date.

Then I used the same blade for a second time and had all sorts of irritation.

sirahren,

I'm so glad you posted this. It seems that I'm not alone.

Just like you, I can only get one great BBS shave using a Derby and that's it. If I use it for the second time it pulls and I have more weepers as a result.

I'm still looking for a perfect blade.

Right -- the confusing thing here for me is that you say the first shave is good. I can think of a few possibilities.

1. Are you leaving any extra water droplets, or soap, etc. on the blade/razor? If you are careful to rinse off the head very well, and then shake all the excess water off, and maybe even blow hard on the edges of the blade to get those last few drops, then this should prevent rust or soap-scum buildup between shaves 1 and 2.

2. Are you really getting a good first shave? If you are, then I think your hairs may be wiry enough that you can only get one shave out of these particular blades.

Best of luck.

J

Derbys are not in my top 3. I would get a decent first shave but it took a whole pass before the blade would break-in. Shave two was great. Then the third shave started to be more uncomfortable and I would bin them after that because a 4th was impossible for me.

Have you given any of the Russian Gillettes a try yet? I find the 7 O'Clock Yellows to be great performers. They are sharp and smooth and last me for at least 5 shaves although I can eek out a couple more if I choose to.

I get three good shaves from a Derby, then swap it out. Shave four with a Derby doesn't work for me, at all. They've been a reliable and consistent product for me.

-- John Gehman

I get 1 decent shave, 1 perfect BBS shave, and 2 more decent shaves from a derby, in that order.

First shave is good, second time i use it i can get BBS with zero irritation, after that i dont even think about doing an ATG.

I've stretched a Derby to 7 shaves before because I had to. However, my Derby use normally goes like this:

Shave 1 = good
Shaves 2 and 3 = BBS
Shave 4 = OK to good (normally no ATG)
Trash

I get three good shaves from a Derby, then swap it out. Shave four with a Derby doesn't work for me, at all. They've been a reliable and consistent product for me.

-- John Gehman

That's exactly what I think.

I just recently received a new batch of blades, after some months hiatus. I could swear that before I was able to get at least 4, even 5 shaves with a Derby.

Top Bottom