What's new

Define wet shaving

I always assumed wet shaving meant you used water and something that lathers. However, it seems a lot of people define wet shaving by the type of razor someone uses. Mostly, I see DE, SE, and SR tools are referred to as wet shaving but cartridges aren’t

The only dry shaving tool I’m aware of is electric razors (but even some of those can be used with a wet lather). I did try dry shaving with a cartridge when I was a teenager—I learned to never do that again.

How do you all define wet shaving?

I always assumed wet shaving meant you used water and something that lathers. However, it seems a lot of people define wet shaving by the type of razor someone uses. Mostly, I see DE, SE, and SR tools are referred to as wet shaving but cartridges aren’t

The only dry shaving tool I’m aware of is electric razors (but even some of those can be used with a wet lather). I did try dry shaving with a cartridge when I was a teenager—I learned to never do that again.

Don't be swayed by everything you hear. Wet shaving is as you thought it was. Shaving with water. Period. You can use carts, DE, SE, Straights and even some electrics are meant to be used with water. Bottom line, don't overthink it. And don't let others force you into overthinking it.

Don't be swayed by everything you hear. Wet shaving is as you thought it was. Shaving with water. Period. You can use carts, DE, SE, Straights and even some electrics are meant to be used with water. Bottom line, don't overthink it. And don't let others force you into overthinking it.
What he said.

I don't use it. Never heard the term until ~ Dec. 15, 2015.

When discussing with folks I use traditional shaving. That is just as imprecise frankly, but the response suggests a connection. 'Oh like Grandpa' or 'old school'.

Wet shaving. Sounds kinky.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Yes. Simple. Wet + shaving.

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
I didn’t even know of the existence of a distinction between wet and dry shaving until recently - I thought water was always involved in shaving somehow, so all shaving was ‘wet’ shaving!

To me, "wet shaving" is simply a term to describe any type of shaving with soap and water.
However, ..... my joyous adventure here on Badger & Blade, as well as my sublime happiness
with brush, soaps/creams, safety razors, DE blades, and after shave splashes & balms .....
is best described as "traditional shaving." For me, that is a better term to describe our hobby.

I extremely dislike the term wet shaving.......

we should have coined terms like "traditional" or "classic"

I was absent from the board room that day......unfortunately we were not saved from this travesty!!!

camo

How do you not use a towel? By the time I’m done, the towel is so wet I can wring it out.

I dunno. I wet my face with a soaked brush prior to brushing my teeth and building lather in my scuttle. Then I lather first the first pass and let it set while I strip the razor briefly.

After three passes I jump in the shower and wash my face etc then thoroughly rinse of. I towel dry after the shower, but not my face because there’s more wet processes.

I splash cold water on my shaved zones at the sink and run an alum bar over it. I rinse the alum off with witch hazel and apply my balm. Finally I apply after shave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. Other stuff optional.

Top Bottom