What's new

Declaration Grooming Soap?

So I picked up some soap samples from Maggards and a couple of them were Declaration Grooming. I tried one today, the Fake Yellow Light, and it was more of a cream than a hard soap. Is that normal for them? Not that I wasn’t happy with it, it lathered OK the scent was excellent and it provided good slickness, but I guess I was hoping it would have been a tad bit harder. The other DG soaps that I got seem a bit stiffer.

How would you rate it? My buds say Declaration is top notch yet I have not tried.
I liked it. I had some difficulty with getting it spread good in my lather bowl since it was warm and so soft. I think the heat also caused some of the issue I had with getting a real thick lather. The smell was great and lingered for a long time. It had good cushion even without a thick lather. I want to see how it does cold though before passing final judgement.

The other three samples I have don’t smell near as good as this one. They are very weak. Now that might change once it lathers up. I shall see.

It's a very soft soft or croap. Milksteak is a great soap base.

However, it is a thirsty soap. It's easy to overload with how soft it is and how thirsty it is, but it's fantastic when you dial it in with great post-shave feeling.

Almost all american artisans are soft soaps (croaps) and not hard milled pucks. This is par for the course. DG is apparently on the softer side of this as is the case with WK. Supposed to be amazing though. Almost everyone rates it in their top tier.

Its really good soap, but not my style. Leaves kind of a slimy film on your face which i assume is because of the added fats in the soap. I think his scents are a little strange-they're just not for me. And for what its worth, i'm not sure many are his own home grown scents, either. He uses a lot of Chatillon Luxe scents in his soaps, so if you're into that perfumer then DG may be right up your alley.

Well I gave it another go today without prewarming the soap and it worked much better today. Lathered up really quick with a nice thick foam and great cushion. Interested to see how the other two soaps, Gratiot League Square and Convergence, shake out but I don't think either one has a strong a scent as Fake Yellow Light.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Razor: Rockwell 6S, #4 plate
Blade: Sharp Star (4)
Brush: Zenith aluminum boar, 27mm
Soap: Declaration Grooming Confluence
Aftershave: Pre de Provence balm
Growth: 24 hours
Passes: WTG, ATG, cleanup
Rating: 10/10

A description from Pasteur’s site:

Here in Saint Louis, the word “confluence” is used for many reasons. Of course, the easiest connection is the meeting of the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers. But also, due to its origins as a trading hamlet, many nationalities and backgrounds had to come together to trade together and merge their cultures to work together.

This scent is a confluence of the coniferous forests and the incense burning in the newly settled hamlet. It’s a confluence of cultures and of scents.

Notes: Frankincense, palo santo, benzoin, elemi, cedar, black spruce, atlas cedar, juniper and fir balsam.

The DGC lid has the St. Louis flag, which depicts these confluences… our rivers, the 3 flags flown over our soil (Spanish, French, US), the melting pot of our cultures. The scent of DGC is a buffet of pine, oak, and smoke. It is reminiscent of a summer evening campfire in the Sierra woods. The lather was rich, dense even. The razor didn't glide quite as well as, say, Haslinger Shafmilch, but the razor didn't tug or skip either. The finish was BBS with no irritation, no cuts.

I am proud of my hometown St. Louis. And as such, I am biased toward DCG. The quantity of soap is a bit less than what you would find from makers using this tub size (e.g., Stirling, Canada), and the price higher. But the quality is outstanding. This is an excellent soap that will remain in the rotation.

D7F04FB7-299F-472D-B919-4DBEE71E725B.jpeg

Top Bottom