What's new

Dear Pipesmokers, I need your help

James, unfortunately I do not have the proportions. I tried years ago to get Dunhill to " Give them up" but they were not ameanable to that request. Any ideas on how to acquire that info? Thanks for the reply.

Regards!

Safaripete
Peter,

Dunhill hasn't blended their own tobacco for a very long time. If you know the blend and its proportions I know blenders that sell good tobacco varietals and sell them in more reasonable quantities to blend it yourself. Any toppings of course would have been proprietorial so I don't know if that would be helpful or not.

Blue Raccoon,
thanks for the info, however, I'm retired from the Navy and had Boots on the Ground in Nam during the spraying of AO, and was reevaluated about a year and a half ago. I was told that bladder cancer was NOT caused by AO. Have they changed, or we're they giving me the old VA BS. I had to go to the VA Facility in Portland, Or. Any help would be appreciated.Regards!
Safaripete

Last edited:
Hi Wilfredio

All the info given here by other members is good stuff, but most of the baccy recommendations aren't much use to us Europeans as we have difficulty getting American tobaccos!

My favourite, easy to get baccy from the Netherlands is Troost Slices, a flake tobacco with not much flavouring added. Lovely stuff. Of course, a flake is not ideal for a beginner but it is an easy flake to rub out before loading.

Also I have one of those Hans Christian Anderson sets, the Cutty style. Nice pipe and I tend to smoke it more as a standard length rather than the churchwarden! It doesn't get anywhere near the use of my couple of Falcons though. Now that's a great pipe for a beginner. Tough as an old boot and a great smoker, easy to clean and a cool smoke. Cost a bit more than a corn cob but far less than a lot of other pipes.

You don't say where you are in the Netherlands but if it's near Amsterdam, I can recommend a visit to Hajenius on Rokin. An amazing shop and museum! It has an excellent selection of pipes and tobaccos and a HUGH selection of cigars! Every time I've been to the city I've had to buy myself an Habano and smoke it in their lounge with their free coffee!

Good luck

Gareth

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
on the off chance you didn't know.. bladder cancer is associated with Agent Orange and will almost always get you a disability rating. Contrary to years ago the VA is totally different this days and very responsive. If you were on the ground in RVN you are considered to have been exposed.

Blue Raccoon,
thanks for the info, however, I'm retired from the Navy and had Boots on the Ground in Nam during the spraying of AO, and was reevaluated about a year and a half ago. I was told that bladder cancer was NOT caused by AO. Have they changed, or we're they giving me the old VA BS. I had to go to the VA Facility in Portland, Or. Any help would be appreciated.Regards!
Safaripete

Unfortunately, bladder and urinary cancer are outlying conditions in regards to Agent Orange exposure which result in boilerplate denial of disability claims by the VA.

All such claims are denied. VA Groups recommend appealing your case (which will also be denied).
The purpose of appealing is that at some point in the future, the VA may change its position on this ailment, and incorporate it into the parent list of disabilities that are associated with Agent Orange, and folks that have made a claim, and appealed a denied claim are likely to be positioned much better than those who just let it ride because they were told it wasn't a justifiable claim.

Good info including accepted and rejected ailments in regards to Agent Orange exposure here;

http://www.vietnow.com/pagesvaret/agent.htm

Hi Wilfredio

All the info given here by other members is good stuff, but most of the baccy recommendations aren't much use to us Europeans as we have difficulty getting American tobaccos!

My favourite, easy to get baccy from the Netherlands is Troost Slices, a flake tobacco with not much flavouring added. Lovely stuff. Of course, a flake is not ideal for a beginner but it is an easy flake to rub out before loading.

Also I have one of those Hans Christian Anderson sets, the Cutty style. Nice pipe and I tend to smoke it more as a standard length rather than the churchwarden! It doesn't get anywhere near the use of my couple of Falcons though. Now that's a great pipe for a beginner. Tough as an old boot and a great smoker, easy to clean and a cool smoke. Cost a bit more than a corn cob but far less than a lot of other pipes.

You don't say where you are in the Netherlands but if it's near Amsterdam, I can recommend a visit to Hajenius on Rokin. An amazing shop and museum! It has an excellent selection of pipes and tobaccos and a HUGH selection of cigars! Every time I've been to the city I've had to buy myself an Habano and smoke it in their lounge with their free coffee!

Good luck

Gareth
Thanks for chiming in on this Gareth.
I'm actually not living very near Amsterdam, but I've found a shop in the city of Zutphen (W. Schimmel) which supposedly has a nice collection of pipes. The website states it has a collection of 1000 pipes, so there must be something in there for me.
I've discussed this with the wife and she is actually very supportive which I think is pretty cool. Next week she and I have a couple days off, and we'll be going to have a look at my first pipe and tobacco. I'm not really sure about the HCA as my first pipe any more, but we'll see what comes out.
I will definitely let you guys know!

Wilfred.

Thanks for chiming in on this Gareth.
I'm actually not living very near Amsterdam, but I've found a shop in the city of Zutphen (W. Schimmel) which supposedly has a nice collection of pipes. The website states it has a collection of 1000 pipes, so there must be something in there for me.
I've discussed this with the wife and she is actually very supportive which I think is pretty cool. Next week she and I have a couple days off, and we'll be going to have a look at my first pipe and tobacco. I'm not really sure about the HCA as my first pipe any more, but we'll see what comes out.
I will definitely let you guys know!

Wilfred.

Hello again Wilfred

A good move on the HCA pipe I think. It is a nice pipe but for a beginner, I'd go for something a bit cheaper! You don't know if you'll like pipe smoking yet. I'm sure the shop will have a decent selection of cheaper pipes, the seconds or basket pipes as they call them over the pond. They are pipes that weren't good enough to be sold as best, often from good makers. There is nothing wrong with them and some of my best smokers are from the cheap basket!

I'd still recommend the Falcon metal pipe if you see them. The briar bowls are removable for cleaning and it's cheap enough to buy a second bowl. Instant collection. They aren't the prettiest pipe but they are great smokers and almost indestructible!

Enjoy your next hobby!

Gareth

When I decided to try a pipe (a couple of years ago) I too considered and was told start with a corn cob pipe, but a nice gentleman at my local smoke shop pulled a shoe box full of (nicely cleaned) estate pipes from under the counter and said I should try one of those instead. I ended up with a decent well-used briar for almost the same price as a cob. I still use that pipe occasionally, and recommend that route if possible.
I have a churchwarden, and it's one of my favorites. If you try it, and don't like smoking a pipe, I'm sure you could find someone who would take it off your hands.
As for tobacco, many good choices have already been recommended, but it will boil down to what you like. I've tried many, and settled on some local blends and a tinned tobacco named Captain Cool from Mclelland. Good stuff, mellow and gentle.
I've never smoked cigs, but an occasional pipe (or lately, a cigar) relaxes me, and is something I really enjoy. Hope you enjoy it too!

I began smoking a pipe at age 18 (back in 1970) and until very recently I would smoke 5 to 6 bowls a day. I am now down to only one bowl a day. As for pipe shape, that is really personal preference. My favorite pipe was the Savinelli Bing's Favorite. I had 5 in my collection and that was always my go to pipe. If I can con the doctor into letting me "officially" take my pipe up again, I will see about replacing them.

Have any of you started out on pipe-smoking and not having smoked cigarettes beforehand? And at what age?
I briefly smoked cigars when I was about your age, In the mid-90's they were all the rage. My fiancé couldn't stand the cigar smell but was OK with a pipe, so I switched.

I was never a cigarette smoker. My motivation to start smoking was that Maryland, where I lived at the time, had passed some really silly anti-smoking laws and this was a way to protest them.

I'm not looking for a daily habit which I know is not good for my health (but probably pretty good for my wellbeing), but more of an occasional indulgence. I really like the outlook of having the occasional pipe, sitting in peace and quiet for an hour or so with a good book and maybe a wee dram. Thing is, my head keeps telling me it's a bad decision but my feelings are telling me to go ahead and do it and don't worry about it.

I seriously have trouble with any smoker in the last fifty years who claims they didn't know smoking had negative health impacts. All that I have spoken to in person point out that it's a trade off between physical health and mental well being.

Secondly I would like some practical advise. I read a bit on the net on the pro's and con's of materials, shapes and such. I really do like the looks of a churchwarden type pipe (something like the Peterson Prince), but I wonder if it would be a good beginner's choice?

My recommendation would be to get a few inexpensive pipes. Get some straight, some bent, some textured, and some smooth. I started with "basket pipes" which were low end pipes that shops mixed together in a basket, thus the name, behind the counter. They weren't the high dollar pipes rating space on display shelves, but may have been odd colors, cosmetically defective, or for some other reason unpopular. They were $10 a piece, so it didn't cost a lot to try a variety and figure out what I liked and what I didn't.

I went into this thinking I wanted a long, straight, smoothly finished pipe. The straight pipe was always in my field of vision and the smooth finished made it hot to hold. The length made it tough to stick in a pocket. What I find instead is that I prefer a rather stubby, half bent, textured pipe with a broad bit. It's out of the way as I walk around or read, it fits in my tobacco pouch or a pocket for transporting, and if I wind up holding it more than normal the texture stops my entire fingertip from being in contact with the warm briar at once.

I agree that a missouri Meerschaum corncob is a good choice for a first pipe. I have several. If you get one I recomend getting a "forever stem" to go with as the stem that comes with it is plastic and leaves a lot to be desired.

If you have money to burn though, go Peterson. I may be what some would call a "Peterson snob", but IMHO there's nothing that smokes better, for any price. You can get into one for $70- $100 for many of their lines and have it forever. As far as shape, pick whatever feels good in hand. You will know it when you hold the one, it will just fit, in the hand and mouth it will just feel right. If you have a tobaconist in your area he will have little vinyl sleeves to put on the stem so you can put it in your mouth to see if you like it.
He will also be you best scource of advice on a tobacco to start with, probably a nice Cavendish rather than some wild tasting aromatic.
Brett

I agree that a missouri Meerschaum corncob is a good choice for a first pipe. I have several. If you get one I recomend getting a "forever stem" to go with as the stem that comes with it is plastic and leaves a lot to be desired.

If you have money to burn though, go Peterson. I may be what some would call a "Peterson snob", but IMHO there's nothing that smokes better, for any price. You can get into one for $70- $100 for many of their lines and have it forever. As far as shape, pick whatever feels good in hand. You will know it when you hold the one, it will just fit, in the hand and mouth it will just feel right. If you have a tobaconist in your area he will have little vinyl sleeves to put on the stem so you can put it in your mouth to see if you like it.
He will also be you best scource of advice on a tobacco to start with, probably a nice Cavendish rather than some wild tasting aromatic.
Brett
Well, I've been to the nearest decent tobacconist last week ( see http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/292914-One-down-a-lot-more-to-go-I-think ) and the pipe I picked is a Big Ben made by a well known Dutch pipe manufactorer. They can be obtained in the states too I think.
It was about the same pricerange as a Peterson.
The tobacco he put me onto was Alsbo Gold, indeed a Cavendish (http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=G&TID=1059). Nothing fancy, but it burns well and doesn't have a funky/chemical aromatic taste.

Hello to all here in the Brown Leaf, and thank you for putting me on to another pursuit...

Well, not really. I've had it in my mind for some time now to try a bit of pipe-smoking. Funny thing is that I am in my 35th year of life, and apart from a 2 week period in high school and the occasional cigar on new year's eve, I've never really smoked in my life.
So to firstly find out if I'm not a complete idiot and alone in this I want to ask the following:
Have any of you started out on pipe-smoking and not having smoked cigarettes beforehand? And at what age?

I'm not looking for a daily habbit which I know is not good for my health (but probably pretty good for my wellbeing), but more of an occasional indulgence. I really like the outlook of having the occasional pipe, sitting in peace and quiet for an hour or so with a good book and maybe a wee dram. Thing is, my head keeps telling me it's a bad decision but my feelings are telling me to go ahead and do it and don't worry about it.

Secondly I would like some practical advise. I read a bit on the net on the pro's and con's of materials, shapes and such. I really do like the looks of a churchwarden type pipe (something like the Peterson Prince), but I wonder if it would be a good beginner's choice?

Thanks in advance for your kind help. :cool1:

Wilfred.

Hello, I started smoking a pipe at the age of 21, this is the first pipe I bought

$DSCN0449.jpg

It was my first experience with smoking anything and I still smoke pipes on occassion today.

About materials for pipes, I would stick with actual wood pipes like briar, mahogany, cherry, I would even go with corncobs, I would stay away from brylon pipes like Medico and others. Cobs are very inexpensive and excellent smokers, they are very economical and are a joy to smoke. They smoke very cool and feel great in your hand. Pipes made of briar and other woods are nice to, they provide a rich smoking experience but unlike cobs will develop a cake after while and you will need a pipe tool like this one to keep the cake at a minimum.

View attachment 246017

The shape of the pipe is a very personal choice to the individual, a Churchwardem pipe is a nice pipe to go with and a cool smoker. Be careful though, the stem is very fragile and will break in a heart-beat if you're not careful. If you decide to go with a churchwarden make sure you empty the ash and dottle with a pipe too and don't knock the pipe against any hard objects because the stem will beak.

As far as tobacco, there are many blends to choose from aromatics, vapers, English blends, Scottish blends, Irish blends, Balkan blends, Oriental blends, the list goes on and on. Again its all personal choice, enjoy the smoking experience and have fun, thats what its all about.

Top Bottom