What's new

Dear Pipesmokers, I need your help

Hello to all here in the Brown Leaf, and thank you for putting me on to another pursuit...

Well, not really. I've had it in my mind for some time now to try a bit of pipe-smoking. Funny thing is that I am in my 35th year of life, and apart from a 2 week period in high school and the occasional cigar on new year's eve, I've never really smoked in my life.
So to firstly find out if I'm not a complete idiot and alone in this I want to ask the following:
Have any of you started out on pipe-smoking and not having smoked cigarettes beforehand? And at what age?

I'm not looking for a daily habbit which I know is not good for my health (but probably pretty good for my wellbeing), but more of an occasional indulgence. I really like the outlook of having the occasional pipe, sitting in peace and quiet for an hour or so with a good book and maybe a wee dram. Thing is, my head keeps telling me it's a bad decision but my feelings are telling me to go ahead and do it and don't worry about it.

Secondly I would like some practical advise. I read a bit on the net on the pro's and con's of materials, shapes and such. I really do like the looks of a churchwarden type pipe (something like the Peterson Prince), but I wonder if it would be a good beginner's choice?

Thanks in advance for your kind help. :cool1:

Wilfred.

Hello to all here in the Brown Leaf, and thank you for putting me on to another pursuit...
Hello Wilfred & welcome to your latest AD..:biggrin1:

Well, not really. I've had it in my mind for some time now to try a bit of pipe-smoking. Funny thing is that I am in my 35th year of life, and apart from a 2 week period in high school and the occasional cigar on new year's eve, I've never really smoked in my life.
So to firstly find out if I'm not a complete idiot and alone in this I want to ask the following:
Have any of you started out on pipe-smoking and not having smoked cigarettes beforehand? And at what age?
For the most part, yes. I started a couple years ago on cigars. During those several months I also smoked probably a pack or less of cigs, most not inhaled - just puffed on cause I was around friends having some drinks or whatnot.

Somewhere in there I picked up a cheap basket-pipe & some low-quality bulk tobacco. I tried it on & off until about 10 months ago when I inherited a bunch of drug-store pipes from my grand-father-in-law. That certainly piqued my interest, then trying my first English blend was the drop that broke the dam of my newest AD. I was 25 which I assume is older-than average for getting into semi-regular tobacco use.

I'm not looking for a daily habbit which I know is not good for my health (but probably pretty good for my wellbeing), but more of an occasional indulgence. I really like the outlook of having the occasional pipe, sitting in peace and quiet for an hour or so with a good book and maybe a wee dram. Thing is, my head keeps telling me it's a bad decision but my feelings are telling me to go ahead and do it and don't worry about it.
There certainly is some amount of risk, but honestly everything in life is a calculated risk to some degree. You have to make that decision yourself.

I will say in general that regularly relieving stress is very healthy. So if smoking a pipe could help you maintain a lower blood-pressure & a more positive outlook on life then there is a decent chance pipe smoking could be a positive trade-off overall. My dad never smoked or drank & maintained a healthy weight yet had 3 heart-attacks before he reached 50. I think not having an outlet for his stress was the biggest problem.

Secondly I would like some practical advise. I read a bit on the net on the pro's and con's of materials, shapes and such. I really do like the looks of a churchwarden type pipe (something like the Peterson Prince), but I wonder if it would be a good beginner's choice?
I have heard some say their churchwardens never allow tongue bite, but I can't confirm this. My advice would be to hold off on that as a first pipe as many find them to be awkward & impractical.

I will tell what I recommend to anyone considering a pipe: Buy a Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe.

No they aren't the classiest thing out there but they can be bought for as cheap as $5-10. They are light-weight & in my (& many others) opinion can smoke as well as a $50-75 briar. They require little-to-no maintenance & break-in. Also as a new pipe smoker the chances you will damage a pipe from poor lighting or smoking technique are fairly high so cobs are much less disappointing than roasting a $100 pipe. I own a couple decent quality briar pipes but my cobs get as much use as any of them.

I've smoked a cigar only once or twice and never touched a cigarette (nor do I wish to). I still seem to be succeeding in enjoying the occasional pipe. I must admit that while a Missouri Meerschaum was indeed a very cheap start, I never really got over the aesthetics.

Know numerous people who started on pipes, never having had a cigarette habit. I started pipes and cigars about 30 years ago.

First pipe to buy is a - a corn cob. You can get one very cheap and find out if you like it before you get a more expensive pipe. In fact, get a couple of them, so that you can devote one of them to aromatics and another to other tobaccos.

If you find you like smoking a pipe, learn the technique to loading, lighting, tamping, and getting a even burn going, then move one. A church warden is a great choice, as it does smoke incredibly smooth and cool. If however, you are not wanting to be holding your pipe for the entire smoke, it is a very impractical choice.

The biggest key is getting quality tobacco. Do you have a smoke shop nearby? If so, that's a great place to start.

If you don't, check out this place, Mars Cigars and Pipes. This is a link to a search for cobs. http://www.marscigars.com/search.aspx?find=cob

I know that many people love to start with an "aromatic" tobacco, because it smells like candy/fruit/vanilla/chocolate/etc... But those flavors come from things added to the tobacco to give them those particular flavors. And more often than not, those tobaccos are overly moist and because of that burn with an intensity that can bring about a sensation many call tongue bite, basically you steam fry a part of your tongue (not pleasant).

Get better quality tobaccos, they may seem more expensive, but considering how many smokes you will get from them, they are far, far, cheaper than cigars and cigarettes.

If you want to stay at Mars, and place a complete order there, here are some tobaccos I'd suggest.

Two Friends Celtic Mist - the only aromatic I smoke straight, w/out adding other tobaccos. Tastes a bit like Irish Cream, incredible smoke - and others around you will love the smell. http://www.marscigars.com/twofriends-celticmist.aspx (Blended by Cornell & Diehl, and American company who uses straight H2O for the humicant rather PG. Much better for the pipe smokers, burns cleaner. Also, their tobaccos come a bit drier than most others. Personally, I find to many tobaccos are far to moist and do not smoke well until dried. C&D tobaccos, given that they come drier means that you get more tobacco instead of some sort of moisturizing agent.

Another good started is Cornell & Diehl Haunted Bookshop. http://www.marscigars.com/canddblendsbulk-hauntedbookshop107.aspx It is a Burley and Virginia blend with just a hint of Perique. This is what many call an "American Blend" as the burley dominates.

I could go on all day and give suggestions from McClelland, Gawith and Hoggarth, Escudo, Dan Tobacco, Astleys, Esoterica, Rattray, etc...

There are literally thousands of great blends out there. Try as many as you can to find what you like.

I think the best tip is to get a tamper, pipe clearners, and find someone to show you how to fill a bowl, get the charring light done and how to "sip" you smoke.

Pipe smoking is one of my favorite ways to unwind. The whole ritual of getting a pipe ready and then smoking it is relaxing. And then, when the right blend hits that zone for you... Yes!!!

Peace of the Lord be with you.

I had only had a few cigars when I picked up a pipe about 9 months ago at 19.

I smoke at most a bowl a week. If it helps to put your mind at rest a Swedish study released (I think) a year ago stated that pipe smokers that didnt inhale lived on average 3 years longer and those that did inhale lived just as long. I have a smoke when I have time and feel like just sitting down and experiencing a good bowl.

I suggest picking up a cob to try at first then picking up a nicer pipe once you decide you like it and want to stick with it. No they're not the prettiest or the coolest looking but they smoke very well especially for the price. Invest in quality tobacco if you pick up some cheap tobacco all you'll get is tongue bite, bad taste, and a soupy pipe.

Last edited:
Hello Wilfredio, I have never smoked in my life, but decided recently out of the blue to pick up the pipe (I'm 33). It is the only smoke I ever really enjoyed smelling second-hand, and I will only smoke it outside on my property so I'm not too concerned about health. If anything it will help me age better since I will have to slow down and maybe go for a long walk in the woods. The pipe I purchased will have to be held, and that is so I have to dedicate my attention to it and relaxing, and too big to take with me anywhere practically. I blame this site for feeding my addiction to shaving, as well as helping me start a new hobby pipe smoking. Serously, this site is great, and I'm enjoying the new brown leaf section. Enjoy your shave as well as your smoke!

.....I could go on all day......
I can tell!
Wow, thanks to you and everyone for taking your time to answer my questions.
I guess I'll just have to go ahead and get myself a cob to see if I like the experience (probably will though...). On the whole churchwarden thing: I saw a Stanwell pipe (Hans Christian Andersen) that comes with two stems, one a nice straight and one churchwarden. Maybe that will be the best of both worlds.

I am now 39 and have been pipe smoking for less than a year and was not a tobacco smoker prior to that.

Last edited:
I started at 20, but never really got into in until very recently. I'm a month away from 30.

My one tip to is try every kind of tobacco you want. Don't stick to beginner aromatics or other light stuff that the store recommends. You may find you like strong stuff or light stuff, but try both because the smell is not always going to tell you about the taste. You can find great full flavor blends that won't pack a huge nicotine punch.

If I haven't wasted years trying to find the right aromatic, I wouldn't have gone 9 years before finding things I like, which is everything except aromatics.

I think Peterson is a great brand to start on. Go hold and see what you like. Shape will not matter that much and neither will having a churchwarden.

Last edited:
I started with the aromatics, as a lot of others did, on recommendation of my local tobacconist. The smell was fantastic, the taste was so so, and the tounge bite was horrible. I do still like aros a lot, but have discovered that you do not have to sacrifice taste or have tounge bite with aros. I really love the tobaccos blended by J.M. Boswell (http://www.boswellpipes.com/). I am especially drawn to his Bear Blend which, even though it is not mentioned in the description, contains a small amount of latakia. Very tasty. If you decide to try some of his other blends I would also recommend Pipers Pleasure and Boswell's Best. I have also sampled several over the counter offerings and Careter Hall in a Cob cannot be beat IMHO. As was said earlier above, sample all kinds of tobacco as you would razor blades to find that type(s) of tobacco that suites you and your pipe. Good luck with your new hobby and enjoy your smokes.:a4:

I started smoking a pipe when I was 25 (I think), had been smoking a pipe for more than 20 yrs since...

I only smoke once a day, in the evening when I relax in front of the TV. I don't smoke during the day, none at all. I don't inhale and I'm able to stop for a week or two (usually when I'm not feeling well), and don't have any withdrawal symptons.....

I find that aromatic usually will burn too hot and give you a tongue bite. I normally smoke english or oriental which is sweet and smooth.

A corncob is a good starter.

Smoked cigs in H.S. years ago and a pack lasted a week plus. Took up cigars around thirty five and smoked two to three a week for ten or twelve years. When I saw our forum pipe and loved it's looks and workmanship. Now after a couple MM's and a few briars I smoke a bowl three or four times a week. My favorite backy is the robust English blends. Guess it's the latakia's pronounced flavor that has me. In Aro's the Boswell Piper's Pleasure is my fav, with their Best and PA Dutch Treat also in the mix. Will have to give Bear Blend a strong puff. In my limited experience you can not go wrong with a Peterson or Stanwell (limited offerings though).

Wilfred, I'm 63 years old and I've been thinking the same thing. One difference is I started smoking cigarettes in my early teens. Up to three packs a day in Vietnam.....switched to a pipe and cigars in my late 30's and quit smoking altogether.....cold turkey at 48. At 58 diagnosed with bladder cancer. Had tumor removed, and have been checked every 6 months since and no reoccurrence. Next check.......next Monday Still, I'm really contemplating going back to the pipe. I still have some old Costellos and a few Charatans. I think I'll talk to my urologist. He smokes cigars..
Pipe smoking, unlike cigarette smoking, is a relaxing endeavor. It's a deliberate act.....not like a habit of lighting up a cigarette. Done correctly, you can pack a bowl, and enjoy it for almost an hour..........a cool, cool smoke. I never inhaled a pipe, or for that matter a cigar. I always inhaled cigarettes. So, I think I will dig out my stash of briars and contemplate smoking. Crazy? Probably! But in need of some serious relaxation. Anyone know how to obtain Dunhill Custom Blended Tobacco. 20 years ago I tried ordering a pound or two of A16888 ( a blend shared with me by a musician in the NY Philharmonic) and they told me that I had to order a minimum of 10 pounds!!! Way too much! Well keep in touch via PM, let me know what you decide. Best Regards!
Peter

Peter,

Dunhill hasn't blended their own tobacco for a very long time. If you know the blend and its proportions I know blenders that sell good tobacco varietals and sell them in more reasonable quantities to blend it yourself. Any toppings of course would have been proprietorial so I don't know if that would be helpful or not.

I tried a cigarette here and there in my teens but never cared for them. Had a cigar on rare occasion and quite enjoyed them. It wasn't until a couple months ago that I took up cigars and pipe tobacco as a hobby. I'm 22 now.

I smoke a pipe and occasional cigar and have never had an addiction. I've smoked 4-5 cigarettes my entire life (not joking). Like drinking, I can enjoy one day and not have another for 3-5 months and never think about it.

Now shaving brushes, that's another story!

I had not been to London for a long time about 10+yrs. Last i visited London, I went to the Dunhill shop, they had a museum at the basement, amazing collection of pipes ! The 3rd floor (I think) is where they sell tobacco. There's a BIG book where all the blends are recorded. I bought some custom blend tins, Baby Bottom and June 86.

I still have 2 tins unopen :sailor:

Oh...how I miss the place....

I can't handle cigarettes, they taste like dirt. I tried my brothers pipe when I was 23 and was hooked. I smoke about 5 bowls a week and find it to be a great stress reliever.

There is a lot of great advice above and I agree to start worth a cob, then spend $$$ on a briar or meerschaum later on when you know what style of pipe you want. For tobaccos, Captain Black is cheap and decent, but your best bet is to find a local tobacco shop and get some samples of different blends.

I've been thinking things over and decided to wait for my paycheck next month and get the Stanwell Hans Christian Andersen. Cobs are not very easily obtained over here. As soon as I'll get the stuff I will report back here and share my experiences.
Once again thanks to all, who have joined in here and via pm, to share their knowledge.

Wilfred.

Top Bottom