What's new

DE89 - great razor, but have I outgrown it?

I to love my EJ89 and will never give it up, And this is coming from someone that uses an ATT H-1

But if you really want something that shaves like a DE89 with a shim in it. Go for the Weber Polished Head with classic polished handle, it shaves just as smooth as the EJ89 on a Shim/Steroids, and the good thing the Weber is All 303 grade Stainless Steel And is only $70.00 Bucks. You won't regret it if you like your EJ89 with a shim.

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack your thread, but I've been DE shaving for almost a year with a DE89 and Gillette Silver Blues (previously used the Astra SPs) and am having similar feelings. I'm looking to add a second razor to my rotation that will give me a closer shave with minimal irritation. I've read that open comb razors are a good transition from safety bar razors.

Vintage razors are not for me, so if there are any recommendations on good new open comb safety razors I'd greatly appreciate it!

No worries, the more that chime in the merrier.

The weber does look nice, it's definitely built to last.

. . . last night boredom got the best of me and I placed a shim in my DE89 (just 1 blade) and the results were like nothing I had ever experienced before . . .

Newbie biting, I understand the concept of shimming, but how do you use them with a DE razor?

Newbie biting, I understand the concept of shimming, but how do you use them with a DE razor?

you take an old blade and cut the ends off of it (the area that would normally shave the hair off of your face). You put the shim underneath the shaving blade, it changes the angle of the blade slightly and in most cases works wonders.

you have a PM.

Last edited:
And for those who mentioned the Weber, for 1/2 the amount would the Razorock SLAB be a nice alternative?

And for those who mentioned the Weber, for 1/2 the amount would the Razorock SLAB be a nice alternative?

I imagine that the SLAB would be moderately more aggressive than the Weber, but more similar than different (if that makes sense).

My opinion:

EJ89 < Weber PH < Merkur HD < RazoRock 3-Piece

Least Aggressive to More Aggressive

I imagine that the SLAB would be moderately more aggressive than the Weber, but more similar than different (if that makes sense).

My opinion:

EJ89 < Weber PH < Merkur HD < RazoRock 3-Piece

Least Aggressive to More Aggressive

Good info here, thanks!

Well, I think I'm going to be placing an order for a Weber w/bulldog handle. Looking forward to my first stainless razor.

Well, I think I'm going to be placing an order for a Weber w/bulldog handle. Looking forward to my first stainless razor.

A very good choice.

Funny how I didn't see this thread until today. I have been shaving with a Weber on and off now for almost a year and just within the past few weeks I've been using it exclusively. But this morning I thought a change was due so I used my DE87. I was surprised because the shave I once enjoyed is no longer there! It just felt too mild and the razor was making me work hard. I took the blade out, installed it in the Weber and within minutes I had an effortless BBS shave.

What difference is it between the Bulldog handle and the regular handle? Is it just the length?

Coming from a DE89, is it better to go with the Bulldog or the regular?

Top Bottom