What's new

DE vs SE

So I just tried a single edge razor for the first time....a gold Gem open comb lookin thing, with some single edge blades I bought at CVS. I wasn't really expecting much....more of a novelty (I've been DE shaving for around 3 months now).

The shave was great! Why would it feel so much smoother than my DE shaves? I've used a merkur and a slim, and a wide variety of blades....but this SE shave seemed a lot smoother, and I have a bit less irritation. Any ideas?

Also, is there a cheaper place to purchase blades (perhaps online)? CVS blades were 10 for $4, and $0.40 a blade seems high.

Granted this was my first SE shave....it could just be a fluke.

What razor did you use? The only new razors I have found have been all plastic things.

This one (it's far from new):

proxy.php

I would attribute the difference in shave quality to two things:

1) It might be easier to keep a proper angle with the head of a Gem, as the proper angle is a few degrees up from flat against the face. There is not the huge range of possible angles like there is with a DE.

2) The blade of a SE razor (including Injectors) is much thicker than a DE, and not flexible like a DE. In my experience, this means the SE has the great capacity to just mow everything down that is in it's path (including bumps, and pimples, so handle it with care).

P.S. Just saw you posted a picture of your Gem: that is a Gem Micromatic Open Comb, which is the most aggressive of the Gem razors.

GEMs can give some outstanding results, just don't let them lure you into sloppy technique. They can also give nasty cuts. Fans of SE shaving will mostly agree that the results can be much smother, and last longer than DE, but there's always those who will debate that point. Most will agree, though, that one reason for the change in shave "feel" is due to the heavier, thicker SE blade. Changes the sound of the shave too, huh?
Don't feel too bad about the cost of blades, I find my SE blades last twice to three times as many shaves as any other DE blades I have tried. That brings your overall cost down. The only blades I have purchased online were from Ted Pella, a medical supplier. You have to drop the bucks for 200 blades in a single shot. Many others have found great success with Amazon, I'm sure they can post some links and suggestions.

I would attribute the difference in shave
P.S. Just saw you posted a picture of your Gem: that is a Gem Micromatic Open Comb, which is the most aggressive of the Gem razors.

Good information, thanks! I suppose I do prefer the more aggressive razors. When I put the blade in that thing, and saw how much of it was visible, it did scare me a bit. Maybe I got a better shave because I was just more careful...

My face feels great though.

I have found that the SE gives a shave very comparable to a Str8. The only DE I have in my rotation currently is a Gillette Old style. The rest are SE and Str8

I love the shave I get from my SE's, but my DE Gillettes look nicer, so I'll keep them and keep using them.

I love the shave I get from my SE's, but my DE Gillettes look nicer, so I'll keep them and keep using them.

Have to agree with you there. As much as I prefer the results from a SE shave, Gillettes have that "sexy" look to them. A GEM says, "I'm a razor, you shave with me". Gillettes say, "Come up and shave with me some time", Mae West style:001_tt1:

Last edited:
Ender --

If you are attentive, prep well, and use a sharp blade in its prime, you can get great shaves with an SE. Close, comfortable. Recommended.

-- John Gehman

So I'm guessing the single edge blades used for shaving are diff from the single edge blades you buy at home depot to put in blade cutting tools? Because if they're the same, the blades at home depot are like $0.02 each.

Im surprised how different the SE blade shave felt. I figured it would just be like a DE shave but with only one side so I couldn't flip the razor around.

i have a newbie question. everyone recommends DE razors when someone wants to try out wet shaving for the first time. yet all the threads about SE razors i read say they are easier to use and cause less irritation while providing a closer shave. is there a reason they aren't recommended to newbies?

I'm guessing the store brand blades you have are stainless? If you come along some carbon steel blades (PAL, Treet, GEM Bluestar?[not 100% on those]) they will blow your mind! I can say that stainless blades work waay better in my micromatic than my 1912 or g bar. You may check Americarx.com, i got a few packs of both Carbon and stainless blades for ~$2.50/10 on sale.

I'm guessing the store brand blades you have are stainless? If you come along some carbon steel blades (PAL, Treet, GEM Bluestar?[not 100% on those]) they will blow your mind! I can say that stainless blades work waay better in my micromatic than my 1912 or g bar. You may check Americarx.com, i got a few packs of both Carbon and stainless blades for ~$2.50/10 on sale.

Im confused....you said that carbon steel blades are awesome, but stainless work better?

Im confused....you said that carbon steel blades are awesome, but stainless work better?

If i had to use stainless, i would use them in my micromatic. I find them better suited to a more agressive razor. Carbons work better for me in all SE razors, micromatic included.

For inexpensive SE blades, try these. I ordered a batch, and from what other people have posted, I understand that they are exactly the same as the Ted Pellas. Full disclosure, though, I have not yet gotten to them, as I'm still not done with the pack of Walgreens blades. I also bought packs of CVS and Treet blades, just because I like to sample all the choices.

As far as quality of shaves goes, I have now gotten excellent shaves with DE, SE and injector razors. I don't have enough experience to make a definite statement as to what's best, and you'll get many opinions anyway. I do think any shaver should at least try all of these, and make up his own mind on what's the best for him.

Just remember, if you try carbons, swish them in alcohol after you shave to displace the water and keep rust at bay. It also helps on a micromatic if you leave the TTO open while the blade dries. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom