What's new

DE razor stopped shaving?

Hey everybody. I've been using a Merkur long-handle DE razor since 2015. A few years ago (maybe 3?) I stopped using a brush and soap and switched to just using canned shaving cream. In the last month, though, my razor has stopped shaving effectively. I've tried swapping out blades (Shark, 7AM, Treet), but that didn't solve the problem. I also thought maybe the switch from Barbasol to Gillette cream might have been at play, so I swapped to the old puck of Proraso soap I had in the bathroom for my last shave. That didn't fix the problem, either. The razor will slide across my skin not cutting any hair but just removing the cream that's on my face. I haven't changed my technique, at least that I'm aware of. Any idea what might be going on? Thanks for the tips!

You've changed something. I'd pay attention to your lather, and possibly your angle.

When I whip up too dense of a lather with Cella soap (as shown on most YouTube videos), my razor floats on top of the lather cushion. When I thin it slightly, it still shows those creamy peaks, but the slight increase in water content makes all the difference.

... Thom

It's called a "canned foam strike" .It's pretty common with DE razors when used along with canned foam.

Either you will have to go back to brush & shaving soap/cream lathering or
toss the DE razor and get yourself one of those fancy multi-blade cartridge razors.

By "Merkur long-handle DE razor" I guess you mean the 24C or similar? I think it's a very mild razor, but it shouldn't suddenly change. I have a lot of respect for Shark and Gillette 7 O'clock blades (but not Treet), so I doubt they are the problem, so long as you aren't trying to get too many shaves from each blade. YMMV, of course.

That leaves technique (angle, pressure, etc.) and lather.

I'd agree with @Galibier_Numero_Un and suggest a thinner lather. It's surprising how thin a lather gives great results. If it's not running off your face it's probably perfect. Hope you get back to enjoyable shaves soon!

Has your razor been brushed out to clean out any goo, stubble, detritus and errant frogs? (Just kidding about the frogs!)
A buildup of grunge could be blocking the lather channels and the gap below the blade. That would prevent the cutting action you have experienced.
A toothbrush can be used along with hot soapy water to clean out the trouble making material. Thoroughly dry and reassemble.

Maybe that would help.

Happened to me with a head shave and triple blade razor, shave my whole head, couldn't believe how bad the razor was failing, defective I thought. Nope, operator error, forgot to put in the three SE blades.
I should have been wearing my glasses.

proxy.php

Tried this morning with a thin lather as suggested by @Galibier_Numero_Un and @Happy Jack. I had a messy sink, but no improvement. I worked around with multiple angles, too. I've put things in for a soak and scrub to give @Kix's suggestion a try. I'll try again in a few days and let y'all know how it goes.

In the meantime, here are the photos @ajkel64 asked for. I can see under the blade just fine. As far as I can tell it's a 23C, which I had read is rather mild. But it hadn't been an issue before.

Attachments

• IMG_0963.jpg
    IMG_0963.jpg
    957.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0971.jpg
    IMG_0971.jpg
    792.1 KB · Views: 98

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Tried this morning with a thin lather as suggested by @Galibier_Numero_Un and @Happy Jack. I had a messy sink, but no improvement. I worked around with multiple angles, too. I've put things in for a soak and scrub to give @Kix's suggestion a try. I'll try again in a few days and let y'all know how it goes.

In the meantime, here are the photos @ajkel64 asked for. I can see under the blade just fine. As far as I can tell it's a 23C, which I had read is rather mild. But it hadn't been an issue before.
Looking at your blade does not look normal, it looks blunt IMO. Could that be a shim instead of a fresh blade, if razor was bought used the prior owner more than likely used a shim on the mild razor to increase efficentcy by more gap IMO. Go to a fresh blade is what I recommend. If you have a magnifier of some sort it will help you, I have to use a loupe because my eyes have grown old + these darn forest fires up in Northern Canada are driving folks bonkers and my eyes need some clean air to give them a rest.
If that is not successful you should hear the razor blade working with the right angle at least.
blade-angle (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Looking at your blade does not look normal, it looks blunt IMO. Could that be a shim instead of a fresh blade, if razor was bought used the prior owner more used a shim on the mild razor IMO. Go to a fresh blade is what I recommend. If you have a magnifier of some sort it will help you, I have to use a loupe because my eyes have grown old + these darn forest fires up in Northern Canada are driving folks bonkers and my eyes need some clean air to give them a rest.
If that is not successful you should hear the razor blade working with the right angle at least.
View attachment 1688630
Have some great shaves!
Yes. l dont use shims in a razor but that looks like one. Doesnt look like a blade.

This is an interesting mystery which I look forward to reading the solution. I own 25+ razors of all types and never have experienced such a problem. Since a razor is a rather simple mechanical device (not a laptop, phone or printer which uses software and has microchips), I can't imagine that a razor would just stop working unless it had been damaged. The solution has to be in one of the accessories (blade, shave cream, brush, etc.) or a change in technique. But which one?

Problem solved! @Kix for the win. I let the razor soak overnight, scrubbed it with soap and a toothbrush, and then tried again with a fresh Shark blade. (No stub above, @Ron R and @Deano, just a camera that wouldn't focus.) Things were back to normal. There must've just been enough buildup to keep the blade from getting to my skin. I'll try with canned cream again in a bit and come back for one more update. Thanks for the help, everybody.

Problem solved! @Kix for the win. I let the razor soak overnight, scrubbed it with soap and a toothbrush, and then tried again with a fresh Shark blade. (No stub above, @Ron R and @Deano, just a camera that wouldn't focus.) Things were back to normal. There must've just been enough buildup to keep the blade from getting to my skin. I'll try with canned cream again in a bit and come back for one more update. Thanks for the help, everybody.

Congratulations that you managed to fix it.

Another argument against canned shaving foam/gel that I had never thought of. :straight:

B.

Glad you found the problem. Another reason to avoid canned cream. Canned cream is to shaving like instant coffee is to real coffee.

They say that man @Kix is a baaaaaad man.
Hush yo' mouth!
:ouch1::biggrin1::thumbup:

• Haha
Reactions: Kix
Top Bottom