What's new

Day to day trousers

I have been a jeans guy my whole life but would life to get into something a little nicer I have few pairs of khaki pants but was looking for something in either black or even a dark blue for everyday wear.

TIA,
Travis

I''ve recently discovered Moleskins, I have a brown and a green pair but will get a few more soon, very hardwearing, smart as well as casual, depending on shoes and jumper, great all rounder :D

Look at M&S under moleskin (they do a jeans cut and a trouser cut).

Tom

If I go for anything nicer than good quality khakis, I look for good quality wool pants. They wear like iron and last forever.

How much does it usually cost to get a pair of pants tailored?

$10-12 for the inseam, $10-12 for the waist. Any more and your paying for very good quality tailoring, which is not worth it for cheap pants. It had better be a $1k suit. Of course, that probably depends on costs in your city.

Your basic chinos and cords can be purchased in blue/indigo. Every brand fits differently so hit a mall or shopping district up one day and take time to find the best fit (for me it was Dockers until I recently tried on American Living and found they were just about perfect) and save on tailoring costs.

The St. John's Bay line of cotton twill khakis at J. C. Penney is a nice pant at a good price. Pleated or un-pleated, numerous colors, including black and navy. Usually always on sale, at least a buy 2 or more for a reduced price. You can als o get them with a unfinished hem is you want them tailored or cuffed. They last longer than Dockers and are nicer looking.

If you want something a little dressier, the Stafford line is also nice.

I wonder if Brooks Brothers may not be a good choice? I do not own their trousers at present but will the next time they have a good sale. Their every day, lighter weight woolen trousers run about $125-150 per pair at full retail. They usually run very good sales three or four times per year. Many times the trousers are nearly half price. At $70 dollars or so a pair, they seem to be a good bargain. Ever since the company was bought out a few years ago by some conglomerate that actually "gets" what customer base Brooks Brothers sells to, the quality and style has returned to what grumpy old codgers like me (all 46 years of age) want to buy and are willing pay for. No, I don't have the free cash to just go in and splurge at their stores. You could drop two thousand dollars in a very fast half hour if you just start picking things up on impulse. However, I am more than willing to pay a larger price these days for what I see as quality that is substantially better than what passes for most 'fine mens wear' at the stores I have visited. Their dress and casual trousers are quite nice at the sale prices. I don't know how they fare against their competition at normal retail price. Another nice thing about Brooks Brothers is that most all their salesmen understand that fit varies depending on how portly you are. Their shirts come in several cuts and their trousers are not hemmed. They offer the service when you buy the trousers. It used to be if you bought a suit the tailoring alterations were free. I am not sure about the trousers.

I don't know about Jos. A Bank but it may be worth a look. They have sales constantly.

Regards, Todd

I''ve recently discovered Moleskins, I have a brown and a green pair but will get a few more soon, very hardwearing, smart as well as casual, depending on shoes and jumper, great all rounder :D

Look at M&S under moleskin (they do a jeans cut and a trouser cut).

Tom

I am sorry, what is M&S? I am interested in these if they wear like jeans.

Also, I like the Wrangler 5-pocket twill pants (in standard and carpenter) from Walmart for $18/pair. They look like khakis/chinos but wear like jeans (and are more durable like jeans, too).

Also, I like the Wrangler 5-pocket twill pants (in standard and carpenter) from Walmart for $18/pair. They look like khakis/chinos but wear like jeans (and are more durable like jeans, too).

Might check them out. Need some weekend pants as mine are all beaten up.

The Men's Wearhouse has a house brand called "Joseph & Feiss". They are a wool/poly blend that wear very well - the drape is very nice and they breathe well. They are an inexpensive, sturdy pant....make sure to get them tailored, too. It is worth the extra cash.....

How much do those cost? I'm sorry, but I cannot comprehend a wool/poly blend being worth the cost of tailoring. Maybe it lasts longer because of the polyester, I dunno. Just my ill-informed opinion.

The Dockers premium khakis are a good pair of trousers for everyday wear. They are nicer than your average chino, quite sturdy, and reasonably priced (around $50). I've never been able to find a good pair of woollen dress slacks that have lasted the daily grind. And, I refuse to wear anything with polyester in it..

Sorry to bump up an old thread. But anybody have any good recommendations for a pair of black corduroy pants?

Also on a related note is it true Chinos were invented by the Spanish (using cotton from China) during the Spanish-American War?

I have been a jeans guy my whole life but would life to get into something a little nicer I have few pairs of khaki pants but was looking for something in either black or even a dark blue for everyday wear.
I recently tried some pants I found at Kohl's. They were a complete surprise. They're more comfortable than jeans, but look like casual khaki pants. Would you believe Lee Performance Series Extreme Comfort?

lee-ps.jpglee-ps2.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I wear jeans, chinos, cords, hiking/convertible trousers, even my old cargo pocketed workwear. Not all at the same time though:tongue_sm I don't like wearing the same kind of stuff day after day, unless I'm getting paid to.

Top Bottom