What's new

Dark Holler Design Works preview

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I dropped off about 30 packaged brushes at the post office late this afternoon. Approximately 15 were shipped yesterday, and one went out on Tuesday. That catches us up to all invoices against which payments have been made to date.

A couple more first-batch brushes are reserved to hopeful buyers in Canada pending identification of, and mutual agreement on, a reasonably priced means of getting them delivered in compliance with applicable export laws and PayPal policies. It shouldn't be this hard.

Beyond those, a dozen or so brushes haven't been tagged with a name yet. Other than three or four ivory Chiefs, however, all remaining first-batch brushes have some issue that is, in our opinion, sufficiently significant to warrant advance disclosure. Those issues include 1) more than a de minimus amount of glue residue showing above the socket rim and/or 2) knots set higher than I consider typical of M&F brushes based on my own limited experience. Lee didn't have any reservations about them, but I'm more particular, and if I were on the buy-side, I'd want to be informed of such things rather than left to discover them for myself. I'm sure we won't catch every issue, but we intend to abide by the Golden Rule with respect to those we do spot.

We'll return to the list shortly and see if we can responsibly place what's left of the first batch. Over the next day or two, though, we're going to take a step back, reflect a little on what we've learned, and re-group. We've already turned and polished a second batch of Chiefs, and batch of PK-47s was following close behind until our recent adventures with PayPal and the postal service temporarily interrupted progress in the shop. But we're itching to get back to the machines, and I expect we'll have more finished brushes to offer sometime in March or early April. That said, we expected to have the first-batch brushes in hand and available to sell and ship in November or early December. So when is something we can't yet make promises about, but if is not in question.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: this is an amazing community. Heartfelt thanks to all for the encouragement and support.

Your work and dedication is very much appreciated and is certainly reflected in the quality of your output.

Thank you, Cody, Ken and Mrs Ken!

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Thanks you ... Mrs Ken!

My wife put together and labeled all the packages that went out this week. A snub-nosed stapler arrived this afternoon, so roughly half the ones we closed up today will pose a special challenge to pry open. :letterk2:

Thanks for the hard work, and especially the attention to detail. Wow. I look forward to using my Alt. Ivory Chief.
Unfortunately I'm traveling for a few more weeks! It will be a wonderful welcome home gift.
I can't wait to hear everyone's reviews as the brushes arrive.

Thanks for the hard work, and especially the attention to detail.

This. Plus it is reassuring to know that you can trust others. Thanks, Ken (and Cody, and... give my respects to stoical and patient Mrs. Ken...).

Guys, you'll be delighted with your Paladin brushes: this morning shave with my Chief Butterscotch marble was luxurious, once again. The (great) lather was ready before I could even think of it!:thumbup:

My first Paladin landed today, overall very satisfied with the craftsmanship. Can't wait for the PK-47 though!

$20150213_114354.jpg$20150213_114405.jpg$20150213_114412.jpg

Mine says it's supposed to be here today, but it also says it's still sitting in the Kansas City Post Office. It's been sitting there for a couple of days, so I am hoping the tracking just hasn't been updated and I will get a wonderful surprise today :thumbup:

BTW: those butterscotch handles are gorgeous!!!

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Mine says it's supposed to be here today, but it also says it's still sitting in the Kansas City Post Office. It's been sitting there for a couple of days, so I am hoping the tracking just hasn't been updated and I will get a wonderful surprise today :thumbup:

BTW: those butterscotch handles are gorgeous!!!

Yours isn't the only one.

It appears that all of the packages we posted on Wednesday show full tracking histories. Most I checked have either been delivered or have progressed to their destination cities. The packages (all PK-47s) I dropped off well before closing on Thursday, however, all appear to be stuck in Kansas City. I'll go into the post office shortly and see what I can find out.

Last edited:
Yours isn't the only one.

It appears that all of the packages we posted on Wednesday show full tracking histories. Most I checked have either been delivered or have progressed to their destination cities. The packages (all PK-47s) I dropped off well before closing on Thursday, however, all appear to be stuck in Kansas City. I'll go into the post office shortly and see what I can find out.

That's very thoughtful of you, Ken. It's because of details like this that make you such a pleasure to work with. I've said it before, but the amount of care you have for us, both as customers and B&B members, shows!

By the way, happy Valentine's Day to you and your missus.

I have had several packages delivered by the post office while showing that they had not left the origin. Also had a few packages show up a few days after showing delivered. Usps tracking is lack lustre at best.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
That's very thoughtful of you, Ken. It's because of details like this that make you such a pleasure to work with. I've said it before, but the amount of care you have for us, both as customers and B&B members, shows!

By the way, happy Valentine's Day to you and your missus.

Thanks, but 30 PK-47s going off the USPS grid is not a trivial thing for us.

We $8.50 for shipping and handling. That ended up being short of the cost of USPS Priority so-called 3-day service with tracking and insurance to $150 in value. I haven't found an easy way to discover what the charges will be prior to purchasing a shipping label after the invoice has already been issued and paid.

Unfortunately, there really isn't any productive and/or satisfying recourse for not getting what you paid for when it comes to the USPS. That said, I'm generally grateful for it. We have a terrific post office and carrier.

I have had several packages delivered by the post office while showing that they had not left the origin. Also had a few packages show up a few days after showing delivered. Usps tracking is lack lustre at best.

+1

I just got back. There was a nation-wide tracking-system glitch yesterday and part of the day before, which doesn't account for the single PK-47 we shipped on Tuesday showing identical tracking status to those I dropped off on Thursday. Anyhow, I was assured that only tracking was affected, not the actual progress of packages. Tracking should be restored and caught up eventually. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen prior to delivery, though.

Hopefully we'll start seeing some reports of PK-47s arriving at their destinations soon.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I just found one tracking number from Thursday that shows progress to San Francisco. Maybe more will start showing back up on the grid.

Hey Ken, thanks for the effort to find out info on the brushes. It's totally appreciated.

Mine didn't show up in today's mail, and with Monday being a holiday, I will be standing at the bottom of the driveway waiting for the mail person on Tuesday :thumbup:

And the pictures start rolling in. Must be a satisfying moment :)

Are you working as well as doing this on the side? I remember reading that you took a year sabatical somewhere. Where do you see the company going? Stay small or put full effort into growing it? The CNCs are not a trivial, spur of the moment for a hobby purchase.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom