What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Raven Koenes

My precious!
:laugh: So true.

Yep. :001_smile

:w00t: 13 is a great number. I love it!
:thumbup: Except, I have two Fatips arriving today. One is a new Grande in nickel (Mk2) and a Retro in chrome, and two Mk1's in route. It still comes out to an odd number which is great because I'm rather odd.

-Rave

FJAAP_Badge.png FJAAP-Diamond-Membership.jpg@ BOSC R US.png

What can I say about this Asylum Shave Works SV Flying Mango shaving soap? Let's try this. I'm in love!

This sounds like an interesting soap. I have yet to try SV, but you have me intrigued... I’m about to finish 3017ing a puck of Haslinger Schafmilch. Probably makes sense to replace it, right?

Raven Koenes

My precious!
My new Fatip Retro (chrome) and new Fatip Grande (nickel) arrived today. That's 15 I've purchased and two I've gifted (last year), so I have thirteen that are in my collection with two Mk1's on the way. These two new ones also align perfectly (of course). :001_smile
rsz_003 (2).jpg
rsz_013 (1).jpg
rsz_1006.jpg

FJAAP_Badge.png FJAAP-Diamond-Membership.jpg @ BOSC R US.png

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've spent the evening polishing a couple of my old brass GEM razors while watching football.

One is, I think, a 1912. The other is surely a GEM Junior. Both entered the evening and my life in decent or better shape. They were good examples of the ebay selections. However, the 1912 had some crummy looking places on the handle and the cap. Not terrible places. The Junior looked a good bit better.

View attachment 848300

Somewhere there are the before pictures, but this is after.

Neither of these were in the league with my MMOC, pictured above. When I started with it I knew it was probably going to be a razor I could shave with but I wasn't sure I could make it look good. I kinda sorta thought its looks had maybe been ruined.

I was pretty sure I could make the GEM Junior look rather good, and make the 1912 look a lot better.

I'm not quite finished with either. Both need some detailing on the inside areas, and a fair amount more work on the bottom of the baseplate. It is clear that both of these razors are going to end up in near mint condition, and look every bit as great as my MMOC.

Sometime in the next few days I'll continue the process, and use Barbicide. When I'm through I'll have pictures taken in my in-house professional photography studio.

I ordered and received a Gem Damaskeene, but it was missing a blade stop, so I returned it to the ebay vendor. I don't know if the razor was made in brass. The one I ordered was steel. The head looked pretty good, but the handle was not as nice looking. I may have to learn about steel (not stainless) as I do want to have one of these razors, but I'm only going to buy one which is a very good deal. The razors usually demand a premium price relative to many other GEM razors, but I'll await a bargain.

Happy shaves,

Jim

BrassGEM21912&JuniorCapJPG.JPG

These are the razors I've been cleaning and polishing. On the left is a brass Ever-Ready 1912. On the right is a brass GEM Junior

BrassGEM2SideCap1912&Junior.JPG GEMJuniorBackBrass.JPG GEMJuniorInteriorJPG.JPG Ever-Ready1912InteriorTop.JPG

I would say both look better in person than in the photographs.

Both were in good shape when I got them from ebay vendors months ago, but now they are in much better shape. Mostly the were polished with Flitz, and a brass gun-cleaning toothbrush, and micrcofiber cloths, and elbow grease. They also had a Barbicide bath.

Next, a blade will be installed just to see how a blade does in them. I have no plans to shave with them anytime soon because I'm occupied with other razors (particular one other razor), but these are likely to be used for shaving down the road.

BrassGEM3Combs.JPG

I also have a brass MMOC. It is with these two razors in this photo.

I have put a blade in all three razors. I much prefer how the blade is very securely held in place and aligned by the MMOC razor to how it is held by the other two. It looks like blades are aligned well enough and firmly held in all three of these brass razors.

None have been shaved with, and there could be problems which surface with shaving, but all of these razors seem to be now shave ready.

Two near mint razors, an Ever-Ready 1924 and my GEM G-Bar (not pictured here), complete my current collection of GEM and Ever-Ready razors. They don't even need any polishing, but the 1924 still must be bathed in Barbicide.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
View attachment 848501
These are the razors I've been cleaning and polishing. On the left is a brass Ever-Ready 1912. On the right is a brass GEM Junior

View attachment 848500 View attachment 848503 View attachment 848504 View attachment 848505

I would say both look better in person than in the photographs.

Both were in good shape when I got them from ebay vendors months ago, but now they are in much better shape. Mostly the were polished with Flitz, and a brass gun-cleaning toothbrush, and micrcofiber cloths, and elbow grease. They also had a Barbicide bath.

Next, a blade will be installed just to see how a blade does in them. I have no plans to shave with them anytime soon because I'm occupied with other razors (particular one other razor), but these are likely to be used for shaving down the road.

View attachment 848508

I also have a brass MMOC. It is with these two razors in this photo.

My Ever-Ready 1924 and my GEM G-Bar complete my current collection of GEM and Ever-Ready razors.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Absolutely stunning Jim! Well done and thank you for sharing! :thumbup:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This sounds like an interesting soap. I have yet to try SV, but you have me intrigued... I’m about to finish 3017ing a puck of Haslinger Schafmilch. Probably makes sense to replace it, right?

Yes.

Enablers R Us Buy Them All.jpg

A complete collection of SV soaps would be less than a car payment. Throw in a couple of SV brushes though and you're in house payment territory.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My new Fatip Retro (chrome) and new Fatip Grande (nickel) arrived today. That's 15 I've purchased and two I've gifted (last year), so I have thirteen that are in my collection with two Mk1's on the way. These two new ones also align perfectly (of course). :001_smile
View attachment 848483 View attachment 848484 View attachment 848485

View attachment 848487 View attachment 848488 @ View attachment 848489

Rave, you are acquiring the most amazing collection.

Are you gong to shave with all those beauty Fatip razors? Maybe Fatip should make a television commercial staring guess who? You.

There's probably somebody in the Fatip | Schöne | Plisson world who spends a portion of their workday monitoring the buying practices of prominent collectors and suggesting to the designers razor variations which then *must* be acquired by collectors.

upload_2017-12-30_18-41-35.png

I'm sure that person needs an American consultant.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Rave, you are acquiring the most amazing collection.

Are you gong to shave with all those beauty Fatip razors? Maybe Fatip should make a television commercial staring guess who? You.

There's probably somebody in the Fatip | Schöne | Plisson world who spends a portion of their workday monitoring the buying practices of prominent collectors and suggesting to the designers razor variations which then *must* be acquired by collectors.

View attachment 848518

I'm sure that person needs an American consultant.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I'm absolutely going to shave with each and every one of them, and hopefully often! It looks like I picked up a rogue Mk1 cap on the Retro.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm trying to understand all the various GEM, Ever-Ready, etc. razors. Towards that end I borrowed this information from someone's post - Paul's post - somewhere else. I don't know if the information is entirely correct, but it does point out some of the reasons why all this is such a huge mess when it comes to dating a razor.

"It's a complex tangle of patents, trademarks and names intermingled, intertwined and very well tangled. We're looking ostensibly at Zinn, Gem, ASR, Ever Ready and Star. Gem, for example, is a company name; Ever Ready, Star & Radio, trademarks.

"It'd take a brave fellow to draw up anything definitive, but here's my potted history, something which I hope others will tear apart as well as add to:

"I'm drawing from Waits and going to look predominantly at what we call the 1912, the 1914, 1924 and Micromatics. Waits tails off into the '50s.

"Prior to 1912, a number of evolutionary models much akin to the Lather Catcher basket head.

"The first "1912" appears to be the Gem de Luxe, a 1912-style head mounted on an ASR-style long round handle.

"1911-1912 Gem de Luxe
1912 Gem "Damaskeene" - the "Damaskeene"
1919 Gem "1912" - what we'd call the "1912"
1930 Gem Micromatic "Open Comb"
1940s? Gem "1912 Junior"
1941 Gem Micromatic "Clog Pruf"
1947 Gem "Flying Wing"

"... thereafter, we get the Featherlight, Pushbutton, G-Bar & Contour/II models.

"Unlike Gem, prior to the 1930s, Ever Ready did not use the "1912" style head. Their initial offerings were the Lather Catcher basket head on an a short sylindrical handle, then on the ASR style long handle. They were the "American Safety Razor Company" until "Ever Ready" was trademarked in 1923, so although I use the abbreviation "ER" below, they're not "Ever Ready" until 1923.

"1911-1912 ER - lather catcher style/cylindrical handle
1912-1914 ER - lather catcher style head/ASR-style long handle
1914-1915 ER "1914" Marked "American Safety Razor Company New York" Patent Pending
1917-1919 ER "1914" Marked "Ever Ready" Patented March 24/14
1918 "Radio" Blade - just a point of interest being perhaps "Radio" predated "Ever Ready" on the razors that are marked "Radio"?
1919 ER Hinged Cap "Brooklyn New York USA" Patent Applied For
1923 "Ever Ready" trademarked
1925 ER "1914" & "1924" produced hereafter marked "Ever Ready"
1930 The Improved Ever Ready ("1912") - what we call the "1912" finally coming into common production (see above, regarding "Radio")
1930s "Star" - supercedes "Ever Ready" and duplicates "Gem" ("1912")
1933-1934 E-Bar - potentially earlier than the Gem offering of the same model?

"... thereafter (1950s) Streamline, Featherlight, etc

"So, when we intermingle the company timelines, we see than what we call the 1912 was the Damaskeene from 1912, the GEM from 1919, Ever Ready joining the show in 1930 and seceding to Star during that decade.

"The 1914 was an ASR to being with, becoming Ever Ready after 1923 along with a new model, which we call the 1924 although that hinged cap had been in production since 1919. Therefore, we can see the pre-1924 "1924" as a rival to the GEM "1912" released in 1919.

"Likewise, once the GEM Micromatics came to the field in 1930, Ever Ready picked up the old line "1912" while still being produced by Gem.

"Putting it all together ...

"1912 Gem Damaskeene (the "1912")
1914-1915 (ER) "1914" Marked "American Safety Razor Company New York" Patent Pending
1917-1919 (ER) "1914" Marked "Ever Ready" Patented March 24/14
1918 "Radio" trademark blade - just a point of interest being perhaps "Radio" predated "Ever Ready" on the razors that are marked "Radio"?
1919 Star became a subsiduary of ASR
1919 Gem "1912"
1919 (ER) Front Hinged Cap "Brooklyn New York USA" Patent Applied For (becomes the "1924")
1923 "Ever Ready" trademarked by ASR
1924 "GEM" trademark redesigned by ASR
1925 ER "1914" & "1924" produced hereafter marked "Ever Ready"
1930 Gem "Micromatic" (the Open Comb)
1930 The Improved Ever Ready ("1912") - what we call the Ever Ready "1912" finally coming into common production (see above, regarding "Radio")
1933 ER "E-Bar" - potentially earlier than the Gem offering of the same model? (Last use of "Ever Ready" in the US)
1930s "Star" - supercedes "Ever Ready" in the US (British market continues with "Every Ready") and duplicates "Gem" ("1912") ... perhaps simply becoming the "Junior"
1930s? Gem G-Bar (introduced after the cessation of the Ever Ready trademark in the US)
1940s? Gem "1912 Junior"
1941 Gem (Micromatic) "Clog Pruf"
1947 Gem (Micromatic) "Flying Wing"
1940s? (Late) ER "Streamline" (British - Ever Ready trademark picked up in Britain ... last used in US in 1933)
1950s ER Featherweight (British)
1950s Gem Featherweight/Pushbutton
1960s Gem Contour
1970s Gem Contour II

"So, the Gem "1912" is only a 1912 if it's a Damaskeene, 1919 otherwise. An Ever Ready "1912" is actually a 1930 and Star "1912" were made from 1933. Radio "1912" continues to elude us.

"Ever Ready "1914" is a 1914 if "patent pending", 1917-1919 otherwise.

"Ever Ready "1924" is a not a 1924 if "patent applied for" which makes it actually a 1919.

"Pivotal years seem to be 1912 (Gem Damaskeene "1912" begins), 1919 (Star brought into ASR, Gem "1912" begins & Ever Ready "1924" comes into pre-patent production), 1923 (Ever Ready brand goes full blown) and 1930 (Ever Ready "1912" begins).
How's that, folks?"

Thank you, Paul, for all this. I hope you don't mind me poaching on your information.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Ever-Ready?1919InteriorTop.JPG BrassGEM3OpenTopJPG.JPG BrassGEM3Combs.JPG BrassGEM3SideBottom.JPG

In the three pictures of three razors, the one I'm not sure of is the razor on the left.

So, the razor I called an Ever-Ready 1912 is maybe a 1919 (or a 1914, or a 1924). Really, I'm not quite sure, but I'm pretty sure it is a 1919. This applies I think: "Ever Ready "1924" is a not a 1924 if "patent applied for" which makes it actually a 1919."

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My shave this morning was good. The Proline now has been used 6.5 times.

SE2Teeth.JPG StirlingFanSide.JPG Wickham Soap.png

Witch hazel.jpg BriskSpice.jpg Cremo.jpg

Homemade shaving oil.

Simple shave. N-S. S-N. Jawline, R-L.

Face, BBS. Neck, DFS.

Neck pretty close to BBS. I am getting better with this razor.

Overall, I'd say this was the best shave I've gotten with the SE2 (and yesterday's shave was the best one before today). I was a tad more aggressive with the razor on my neck, but not much at all.

The shave was comfortable enough. I had a couple of weepers, but they were gone with just a cold water rinse and no styptic pencil.

Close and a cigar.jpg

The shave today was close. This ATT SE2 razor shaves me significantly more closely than any other razor I've used other than razors which were close shavers but also destroyed my skin and left me with real discomfort. This was close and comfortable.

I have yet to master shaving my upper and lower lip. The razor feels rough on those areas, but I have a plan of attack. I'm sure I will improve shaving those areas.

The Wickham's 1912 shaving soap is terrific. Very creamy, slick, and excellent in all regards. I'd rate it only a small notch below Saponificio Varesino. I very much enjoyed shaving again with the 1912.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My agenda using these single bladed razors is to get the same shave at home I used to get at the hands of a professional barber using a straight. Those shaves of yore - close, long lasting, smooth, and very comfortable - were wonderful.

Sometimes I've wondered if my goals were achievable. Others have suggested the whiskers of yore have morphed into whiskers incapable of being shaved like those of decades ago.

SE2 the no wimp zone razor.jpg

Recently I'm beginning to believe maybe my agenda can be realized. The ATT SE2 has established a new standard for my shaves. Better, my shaves seem to be improving almost every day.

upload_2017-12-31_17-19-31.png

The SE2 is an aggressive razor. No doubt about that. Still, it can be used in a comfortable manner, and the shave it delivers can be comfortable all day long.

Happy shaves,

Jim

My agenda using these single bladed razors is to get the same shave at home I used to get at the hands of a professional barber using a straight. Those shaves of yore - close, long lasting, smooth, and very comfortable - were wonderful.

Sometimes I've wondered if my goals were achievable. Others have suggested the whiskers of yore have morphed into whiskers incapable of being shaved like those of decades ago.

View attachment 848741

Recently I'm beginning to believe maybe my agenda can be realized. The ATT SE2 has established a new standard for my shaves. Better, my shaves seem to be improving almost every day.

View attachment 848743

The SE2 is an aggressive razor. No doubt about that. Still, it can be used in a comfortable manner, and the shave it delivers can be comfortable all day long.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Glad to hear that it is getting you closer to your goal, Jim! My General is certainly making the rest of my razors look bad. They got some 'splaining to do! I think the Supply Single Edge needs some more time. The General is making me realize I was likely using too much pressure with the Supply SE, leading to all of the weepers. That revisit is going to come soon, as I think it is a good razor, and it is adjustable. I could just have two razors: The General and the Supply. But what to do with all of those DE blades...

Top Bottom