What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday's shave was very good indeed.

3-16-22.SemogueMixture.CK-6.Sailor.640JPG.JPG

Nothing other than the Sailor settings - today, 2.5, 5, and the Zero Dot - was changed today.

Pretty terrific shave with these settings. I'd say a closer shave with these settings than I get with somewhat lower Sailor settings.

ATG on my upper lip I used only the Zero Dot. I'm not going to be likely to go with settings higher than 2 when shaving ATG under my nose.

Cube.Tube.Mysterium.Large.640.1-22JPG.JPG

3-5-22.BoomtownBayRum.640.JPG

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm actually a little bit mind blown at how good today's shave has turned out to be.

Perfect shave? Not hardly. In my view there is no such animal.

BBS? Maybe not, not everywhere.

1647449792113.png

I'm not chasing the perfect shave nor attempting to get a BBS. I just want a consistent Damn Comfortable Shave which is safe feeling and easily accomplished as well as close and long lasting. Today's shave convinces me I'm fishing in the right waters.

Right water. Right kit. Right settings.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Thats perfect! This way, if somebody in the office comes to you and says, "oh oh, looks like somebody is having a case of the mondays," you can then apply some of that to fix the issue. hehe

Also, I am not sure about getting into adjustable razors, it seems like they are just more pain in neck trying to dial them in right. But hey, if it works for you great! But I just don't see me wanting to fight with the thing lol.

I won't lie though, that is a really nice looking razor in your previous picture. 😍

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thats perfect! This way, if somebody in the office comes to you and says, "oh oh, looks like somebody is having a case of the mondays," you can then apply some of that to fix the issue. hehe

Also, I am not sure about getting into adjustable razors, it seems like they are just more pain in neck trying to dial them in right. But hey, if it works for you great! But I just don't see me wanting to fight with the thing lol.

I won't lie though, that is a really nice looking razor in your previous picture. 😍

For a long time I thought adjustables were stupid.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
For a long time I thought adjustables were stupid.
I used to shave with my Slim once a year, just because. Always played around with the settings during the shave, never quite getting close or comfortable shave.
Then one day I decided to set it on the lowest setting and leave it there for a few shaves, then dial it up a click for a couple more.
Next thing I found I loved it on #4, picked up a Fatboy, then an Executive. I love them all, and it's all Jim's fault. :thumbsup:

enablersrus.png

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I used to shave with my Slim once a year, just because. Always played around with the settings during the shave, never quite getting close or comfortable shave.
Then one day I decided to set it on the lowest setting and leave it there for a few shaves, then dial it up a click for a couple more.
Next thing I found I loved it on #4, picked up a Fatboy, then an Executive. I love them all, and it's all Jim's fault. :thumbsup:

View attachment 1425422

I usually blame Cal.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Most of my Sunday shave was on Sailor setting 1.5.

I did not shave on Saturday.

Before shaving today I cleaned the razor with an old soft toothbrush and Dawn. Using a Q-tip and alcohol I removed from a new Wizamet SI blade the glue or wax or whatever it is. The new blade was then installed.

10-20-22.SemougueMixture.WizSI.CK-6.Sailor.640.JPG

For my soul patch area the adjustment was moved up to #6. That's the Zero Dot + 360º which is a gap of about
huge enough according to my guesses and measurements.

Setting #6 was used only N-S on the soul patch. The rest of my shave was my normal routine although I think some areas such as below my nose and my chin received no S-N attention.

Not that it mattered as the shave was plenty good for a Sunday afternoon.

3-20-22.PreshaveProducts.640.JPG

My preshave routine works very well for me.

A good bit of science and a good bit more fumbling about in the dark were involved in formulating the routine, but I believe I've arrived.

3-6-22.Controversy.Splash.480.JPG

This is certainly an interesting splash. Its original name was Bad Obsession which should qualify it as a candidate for the BOSC Scent of the Year Award. The scent is complex enough to confuse my nose not that that takes much. Mostly what I appreciate is the scent of Damar Resin as described by the vendor.

I've got nothing against a really good patchouli incense, but wouldn't want to smell like patchouli all day myself. Fortunately, although I can find a whiff of patchouli scent when I try, it's a minor note to my nose.

It's a scent I wasn't sure I'd like, but I like it.

My Semogue 2021 Spanish Shavers Limited Edition Mixture brush is breaking in. It's about to the point where I don't notice it until I'll looking for a splayed and delicious scrub as I add a few gallons of water to my face's lather.

Yes, CK-6 will hold some serious hydration. It's a rather amazing base in my opinion.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Most of my Sunday shave was on Sailor setting 1.5.

I did not shave on Saturday.

Before shaving today I cleaned the razor with an old soft toothbrush and Dawn. Using a Q-tip and alcohol I removed from a new Wizamet SI blade the glue or wax or whatever it is. The new blade was then installed.

View attachment 1426829

For my soul patch area the adjustment was moved up to #6. That's the Zero Dot + 360º which is a gap of about
huge enough according to my guesses and measurements.

Setting #6 was used only N-S on the soul patch. The rest of my shave was my normal routine although I think some areas such as below my nose and my chin received no S-N attention.

Not that it mattered as the shave was plenty good for a Sunday afternoon.

View attachment 1426844

My preshave routine works very well for me.

A good bit of science and a good bit more fumbling about in the dark were involved in formulating the routine, but I believe I've arrived.

View attachment 1426845

This is certainly an interesting splash. Its original name was Bad Obsession which should qualify it as a candidate for the BOSC Scent of the Year Award. The scent is complex enough to confuse my nose not that that takes much. Mostly what I appreciate is the scent of Damar Resin as described by the vendor.

I've got nothing against a really good patchouli incense, but wouldn't want to smell like patchouli all day myself. Fortunately, although I can find a whiff of patchouli scent when I try, it's a minor note to my nose.

It's a scent I wasn't sure I'd like, but I like it.

My Semogue 2021 Spanish Shavers Limited Edition Mixture brush is breaking in. It's about to the point where I don't notice it until I'll looking for a splayed and delicious scrub as I add a few gallons of water to my face's lather.

Yes, CK-6 will hold some serious hydration. It's a rather amazing base in my opinion.

Happy shaves,

Jim

WOW, this post was more detailed then you usually do, lots of info here. I see you used a couple different products this time around. That razor has a nice solid base on it. You know what I decided to do? Rather then spending more money on a base, once my razor is dried out, I am just going to put it back in the Feather box it comes in.

And speaking of shaving routines, I am going to be doing my first shave, for the first time ever, with my new Feather AS-D2 razor, in a few minutes. Yes, the anticipation is killing me, I hope it will last. I just imagine the warm water, the shaving soap lathering my face with badger brush, the journey awaits me hehe.

I am glad you had fun with your Sunday shave, here's hoping I will too. Yesterday was all about shaving prep, which is why I updated you guys with my haircare post. Had to clean myself up with the Wahl clippers, and clear the runway for my Feather DE landing today hehe.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
WOW, this post was more detailed then you usually do, lots of info here. I see you used a couple different products this time around. That razor has a nice solid base on it. You know what I decided to do? Rather then spending more money on a base, once my razor is dried out, I am just going to put it back in the Feather box it comes in.

And speaking of shaving routines, I am going to be doing my first shave, for the first time ever, with my new Feather AS-D2 razor, in a few minutes. Yes, the anticipation is killing me, I hope it will last. I just imagine the warm water, the shaving soap lathering my face with badger brush, the journey awaits me hehe.

I am glad you had fun with your Sunday shave, here's hoping I will too. Yesterday was all about shaving prep, which is why I updated you guys with my haircare post. Had to clean myself up with the Wahl clippers, and clear the runway for my Feather DE landing today hehe.

Good luck with the AS-D2. I'd expect a learning curve. Remember: No pressure.

There are a number of aftermarket stands available. Probably if you asked around somebody would know which fit the Feather AS-D2 razor. Some of the aftermarket stands are very inexpensive.

Another option would be a custom stand from Tibam in Russia when those become available again. (I assume they're not now.) They're not cheap but they are very nice indeed. He'll do one for any handle size given accurate information about what you need.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday's shave started the week off right.

3-21-22.MixtureLE.CK-6.Sailor.640JPG.JPG

Followed my usual preshave routine and used my usual preshave products. Why mess with perfection?

Not that everyone should follow the routines or use the products which work for me, but anyone wanting the best shave and realizing the importance of a super slick lather and super slick ghost lather might consider doing what I do and using what I use.

None of the preshave products I'm using are expensive.

Occasionally I get a little nick. Usually the nick is due to a blemish rather than my technique or a mistake. I have handy an alum block and occasionally use it instead of a styptic pencil. To me, the general use of a post shave alum block adds nothing. Plus it dries my skin. Mostly for little nicks and such I use a styptic pencil. I buy three of the large pencils cheap on Amazon. Those last years if properly dried with a towel between uses.

1647876258733.png

I've greatly enjoyed this year's Fixed Four gear, and want to give a shout out to the
Phoenix Shaving Ultra Premium CK6 Formula soap I'm using. It's a terrific soap in all respects.

I've used a great many soaps over the years. Very expensive soaps. Cheap soaps. Vegan soaps. Tallow soaps. Scented. Unscented. Mostly what I've found is all of them are pretty good unless they have a big downside. Big downsides include being too drying for my skin (MdC and MWF for example) or a terrible scent to my nose (like Tabac).

Combined with my preshave routine all the soaps I've used with it have been improved. All are more slick.

That said, it would be very hard to beat my preshave stuff combined with CK-6 soap.

Of course, right after the Fixed ends I'll probably switch soaps. Just because I can. I won't, however, vary the preshave stuff nor will I expect the "new" soap to be better than CK-6.

3-6-22.Controversy.Splash.480.JPG

Yesterday I enjoyed this scent so much that today's an instant repeat. It has a very warm scent. I enjoy it very much. That doesn't mean you would. As we know, scents are very individual.

It was a lovely shave today, with my flipped blade. Sailor settings were 2, 7, and the Zero Dot.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I've greatly enjoyed this year's Fixed Four gear, and want to give a shout out to the
Phoenix Shaving Ultra Premium CK6 Formula soap I'm using. It's a terrific soap in all respects.
I see that you've joined Rave (@Raven Koenes) in the subliminal enablement game, Jim.

I've been wanting to try Phoenix's Formula CK-6 Scentsless for a while. There are a few UK suppliers of Phoenix soaps, but none of them (TMK) do "Scentsless." I could of course order direct from Phoenix, but the least expensive shipping costs more than the item.

So, being somewhat at the end of my tether (and about 12 hours prior to your post), I ordered a tub of CK-6 Atomic Age Bay Rum... and being in FFFMM I'll only be able to sniff it until April.

Isn't it weird the strange sacrifices we make, and the other odd things we do, for "shaving?" :letterk1:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I see that you've joined Rave (@Raven Koenes) in the subliminal enablement game, Jim.

I've been wanting to try Phoenix's Formula CK-6 Scentsless for a while. There are a few UK suppliers of Phoenix soaps, but none of them (TMK) do "Scentsless." I could of course order direct from Phoenix, but the least expensive shipping costs more than the item.

So, being somewhat at the end of my tether (and about 12 hours prior to your post), I ordered a tub of CK-6 Atomic Age Bay Rum... and being in FFFMM I'll only be able to sniff it until April.

Isn't it weird the strange sacrifices we make, and the other odd things we do, for "shaving?" :letterk1:

Enablers R Us employee of the month.jpg

One must do everything possible to keep up with younger, faster, stronger, smarter competition nipping at one's heels.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

View attachment 1427461

One must do everything possible to keep up with younger, faster, stronger, smarter competition nipping at one's heels.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Have you heard the generation Z lingo these days, and their Tik Tok challenges? No thank you, I rather not keep up with the younger whipper snappers, who think their smarter. I like right where I am thank you very much, and thats my decision, and I am sticking to it. :kyle1:

Top Bottom