Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday's shave was surprising.

5-13-21.Karve.OC-B.Mistura.Vitos.640.JPG

Today's razor is the Karve.
  • 3" handle​
  • OC B​
  • Wizamet SI (flipped)​
What was surprising about today's shave?

I was not expecting much from the baseplate, but the OC B plate was amazing.

I'd say the OC B plate was very very smooth which wasn't particularly surprising, but it was very nice. The surprising part, and this was very surprising to me, was how efficient the OC B baseplate was.

Very good shave today.

12-20.CaribbeanHoliday.HyaluroncAcid.Brickell.640JPG.JPG

Today's splash was vanilla extract Caribbean Holiday. The splash is actually a bit more complex than vanilla extract, and the vanilla wears off some revealing the complexity to a degree, but it's a very strongly vanilla scented splash. Make no mistake about that.

I like it on occasion. Like today.​

The Karve is a very good razor. The OC B baseplate will certainly get more use.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thursday's shave was surprising.

View attachment 1265946

Today's razor is the Karve.
  • 3" handle​
  • OC B​
  • Wizamet SI (flipped)​
What was surprising about today's shave?

I was not expecting much from the baseplate, but the OC B plate was amazing.

I'd say the OC B plate was very very smooth which wasn't particularly surprising, but it was very nice. The surprising part, and this was very surprising to me, was how efficient the OC B baseplate was.

Very good shave today.

View attachment 1265955
Today's splash was vanilla extract Caribbean Holiday. The splash is actually a bit more complex than vanilla extract, and the vanilla wears off some revealing the complexity to a degree, but it's a very strongly vanilla scented splash. Make no mistake about that.

I like it on occasion. Like today.​

The Karve is a very good razor. The OC B baseplate will certainly get more use.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Glad you found the OC-B plate. The B, C and D plates are all pretty darn good. :cool:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
@Chan Eil Whiskers - so with all the Karve plates, have you found whether the Timeless 0.38 SB is tougher or gentler on your skin than the 0.78 OC plate? Was anticipating which bronze would win the gold and all this Chris Bradley brass shaving jewelry found its way to you.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
@Chan Eil Whiskers - so with all the Karve plates, have you found whether the Timeless 0.38 SB is tougher or gentler on your skin than the 0.78 OC plate? Was anticipating which bronze would win the gold and all this Chris Bradley brass shaving jewelry found its way to you.

The Timeless 38 SB is smoother than the Timeless 78 OC, I think, but both are plenty smooth. I have in transit the OC 95 in Ti, too, and will use it soon. I think it might arrive today (it might already be in the mailbox).

I think that's what I remember about the Bronze baseplates...

So many great razors and so few shaves...how can I learn anything?

It's a problem (but not in 3rd world).png

It's a hard job but somebody's gotta do it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
The Timeless 38 SB is smoother than the Timeless 78 OC, I think, but both are plenty smooth.

Heaven forfend I check back a few pages, but I thought you were suspecting the 0.78OC gave better post-shave feel even though the 0.38SB felt better during the shave.

Okay. It was on page 491 (assuming 20 post page view) before your Pearl adjustable gave your biceps the stimulation to grow and overpower

Which does my skin prefer?

I'd think it would be the "milder" SB.
But, I think maybe the supposedly more aggressive OC baseplate of the Timeless Bronze is more comfortable on my skin in the shave it delivers than the smoother feeling SB baseplate. I'm testing that notion.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Heaven forfend I check back a few pages, but I thought you were suspecting the 0.78OC gave better post-shave feel even though the 0.38SB felt better during the shave.

Okay. It was on page 491 (assuming 20 post page view) before your Pearl adjustable gave your biceps the stimulation to grow and overpower

Yes.

Obviously, one issue is the balance point in efficiency. Three passes with a less efficient razor may sometimes be harder on the skin than one or two passes with a very efficient razor.

Of course not all things are equal and not all shaves are expected to have or actually have the same outcome.

I realize I'm jumping around an awfully lot from razor to razor which screws up the science, but it sure is fun.

It will be a while before I have all the new razors sorted.

Like maybe years, but science is a hard discipline. All experiments, especially my own, require someone to replicate them, and that someone might as well be me (as well as you).

You might as well go ahead and acquire a Timeless Bronze with both baseplates. You can't go wrong.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
How many DE razors do I have which would be perfectly satisfactory* were they the single razor in my shave den?

Answer: I have no idea but there are a few**.

Pretty sure I'm not the only one*** with the same point of view.

Happy shaves,

Jim

*In this context perfectly satisfactory is a right high bar.

**In this context a few is a right largish number.

***In this context not the only one could include besides myself a huge number of B&B members, and most BOSC members other than Al (who doesn't know he's a BOSC member), and a huge number of members of other shaving forums the names of which escape me.

Top Bottom