What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
It occurs to me I'm at risk of buying every razor known to man and God - much like David @never-stop-learning - which is way beyond my purse and my wife's tolerance and also not something I really want to do.

It's the BOSC influence: One can never have too many quality razors. ;) :letterk1: :cool:

As an aside, the Timeless Ti Slim is in my Big Dog Rotation. Great razor. :thumbup:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It's the BOSC influence: One can never have too many quality razors. ;) :letterk1: :cool:

As an aside, the Timeless Ti Slim is in my Big Dog Rotation. Great razor. :thumbup:

I tried the Timeless Slim in SS for a week or so a number of months ago, around Christmas time of last year.
As I read through the reports I wrote then and my interspersed posts about other matters I notice dry skin being an issue. Was that related to the razor, my inexperience with it, or just the weather, or maybe all of these? I've no idea how to answer that.

Timeless.Cal'sSlim.12-16-20.640.FindHandle.JPG

The Timeless Slim I used was purchased by me, but with a plan to me to use it for just a few days and then sell it to someone across the pond eager to own it.

In a very real way I merely borrowed the Slim for a week which was a treat for me.

Here it's pictured with a Fine SS handle which also was borrowed. Nice handle. Very grippy.​

I liked the Timeless Slim well enough, but not well enough to love it. I certainly did not have an immediate feeling that it hit a sweet spot for me. It was not as efficient (on my skin, with my whiskers) as I hoped it would be. It didn't blow me away in any way.

I could always buy a Timeless Slim baseplate and use it with my (in transit) Timeless Ti cap and handle, but I'm at all sure I want the Slim. I'm not knocking it. The more I used the Slim the more I liked it. I just didn't love it. Obviously I didn't use it very long at all, but, compared to just one shave (so far) with the OC 95 baseplate it was not as smooth feeling and not as efficient and it was more "aggressive feeling."

It seems pretty clear to me that in recent times I'm enjoying razors which are far more "aggressive" according to how some folks use that term, but I don't like razors which seem like they might jump up out of the bushes to bite me (nor ones that do bite). Yes, I realize that just about any razor can bite, but some are more prone to do so (and/or seem that way).

1621173091435.png

My ideal razor is very very efficient but also very very smooth feeling and "not aggressive."

I'll sacrifice some efficiency for comfort any day, but I'm seeking to maximize both comfort and efficiency. I'm finding that some razors are better able to hit that sweet spot than others but I've not found the perfect razor.

Or, maybe I have...the FOCS comes damn close...several others are contenders which might just need to be used more and mastered. I have high hopes for the Timeless Ti OC 95 in that respect.

It's also interesting to read about the Henson. Most of the reviews are over the moon, but I wonder how experienced some of those gentlemen are with other razors. I don't know which Henson razor David @never-stop-learning was using (I assume the more aggressive of the Henson), but his review was more measured than many which gives me pause. Also, I don't like the Henson's skinny handle and don't think I'd get along with the weight (but there are other handles).

I'm not buying any more razors for a while, so this is just chatter.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sunday I had another very eye opening shave.

5-16-21.Lupo.95.New.CH3.Manchurian.Vitos.640.JPG

Today I used my brand new Lupo 95 SS razor with a not new, flipped Wizamet SI blade. I did very little work. What I call a 1.0 shave, but a 1.0 shave without as much work as usual. Very little work. No buffing. Even with little work I got a very good shave.

My initial impression of the Lupo 95 is it's very efficient and smooth enough. There is blade feel of course, but not enough to worry about. It did not "feel aggressive" so I wasn't worried it would bite me, and it didn't.

I can certainly see what the hype about this Lupo 95 SS razor is all about.

Not much to not like about today's gear, that's for sure. Really nice shave, and easy enough.​
12-20.theBeach.HyaluroicAcid.Brickell.640JPG.JPG

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Re the Henson, that was the first DE razor I tried. Its virtues, as you likely already know, are two-fold. It's great for beginners and the tolerances are so tight that there is no blade chatter.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
It's also interesting to read about the Henson. Most of the reviews are over the moon, but I wonder how experienced some of those gentlemen are with other razors. I don't know which Henson razor David @never-stop-learning was using (I assume the more aggressive of the Henson), but his review was more measured than many which gives me pause. Also, I don't like the Henson's skinny handle and don't think I'd get along with the weight (but there are other handles).

I have the first gen Aluminum Al13. :)

Good enough razor that just didn't click with me. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have the first gen Aluminum Al13. :)

Good enough razor that just didn't click with me. :)

I'm trying to figure out which Henson is which.

As far as I can tell they used to call them Men's razors and Women's razors, but then renamed them to "regular" Henson AL13 or just Henson AL13 and Henson AL13 - Medium.

I found information saying this...

1621185586390.png

Which seems to confirm what I already had concluded.

1621185149285.png

I'm assuming that David's razor is the medium (or the Men's).

It's not a razor I'm fixing to jump all over, but it's interesting enough to read about it. I don't see experienced shavers jumping from good razors I know something about to this newbie, but it looks like a pretty good, easy to use, hard to cut yourself with, precisely manufactured, and perhaps surprisingly efficient light weight razor which jumped up in price (but hasn't everything?).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
:laugh: It'll be interesting to see how long your "while" is, Jim. :wink2:

I agree, Cal.

Long enough to get caught up with the razors I already have, caught up enough to determine whether any of the recent arrivals (or in transit razors) are indeed the one and only Holy Grail.

At least that.

The Holy Grail has to be as smooth feeling and easy to use as the FOCS and also more (much more) efficient. Not that the FOCS is not efficient. It is efficient, but not as efficient as some razors. Problem is finding one more efficient and equally easy to use and smooth and unaggressive (not prone to biting me, etc.).

The one razor I suspect I don't have and don't have in transit which might be all that is the iKon B1 Standard which I should have scored when it was being sold at a lower price. Not that the current price is bad at all.

But, not buying any razors for a while!

I hope you ordered a RR Lupo 95, Cal. I was very impressed with my first shave with it. I liked the handle I used well enough, too, but think it might be better with a somewhat lighter handle. Not saying there's anything wrong with the RR HD handle (because there isn't). I'd thought I might be interested in trying the Lupo 72, too, now I think not.

Appreciate you looking out for me, Cal.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I hope you ordered a RR Lupo 95, Cal.
Yep. I ordered it just minutes after Al @AimlessWanderer gave me the link.
I was very impressed with my first shave with it. I liked the handle I used well enough, too, but think it might be better with a somewhat lighter handle. Not saying there's anything wrong with the RR HD handle (because there isn't).
That's good to hear. Mine (the only one ShavingTime does) also has the HD handle. On Italian Barber's pics it shows at 82mm long, but on their write up they say it's 85mm long. As much as I dislike long and heavy handles I will try it with the handle it comes with first. (I'm just hoping that 82mm (vs 85mm) is the correct dimension... would you be able to confirm either way, Jim?)

In general (IMO) RazoRock handles are very good. Unfortunately for me they're just too long and too heavy.

If everything goes to schedule my Lupo should be packed and shipped tomorrow (Monday) and arrive before my shaving time on Wednesday. :biggrin:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yep. I ordered it just minutes after Al @AimlessWanderer gave me the link.

That's good to hear. Mine (the only one ShavingTime does) also has the HD handle. On Italian Barber's pics it shows at 82mm long, but on their write up they say it's 85mm long. As much as I dislike long and heavy handles I will try it with the handle it comes with first. (I'm just hoping that 82mm (vs 85mm) is the correct dimension... would you be able to confirm either way, Jim?)

In general (IMO) RazoRock handles are very good. Unfortunately for me they're just too long and too heavy.

If everything goes to schedule my Lupo should be packed and shipped tomorrow (Monday) and arrive before my shaving time on Wednesday. :biggrin:

My RR HD handle measures in at 82 mm, Cal.

I'm just curious, Cal, about the handle of the World's Finest Safety razor. What are it's dimensions?
Seems to me it's heavy, longish (by our standards), and fat. I could be misremembering and I can't locate information.

Sometimes I think a 3" handle is too short and a 3.25" handle is too long. Amazing now long some handles are these days, and how fat, and how heavy. That said, I like the Timeless Bronze handle. I suppose much depends on the handle itself.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My RR HD handle measures in at 82 mm, Cal.

I'm just curious, Cal, about the handle of the World's Finest Safety razor. What are it's dimensions?
Seems to me it's heavy, longish (by our standards), and fat. I could be misremembering and I can't locate information.

Sometimes I think a 3" handle is too short and a 3.25" handle is too long. Amazing now long some handles are these days, and how fat, and how heavy. That said, I like the Timeless Bronze handle. I suppose much depends on the handle itself.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Measurements for the WFSR found...

world's finest safety razor measurements.png

So, never mind.

80 mm. 12.5mm. 69gms. Grippy.

Not too long.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday's shave was good.

5-16-21.Pearl.70:30.Vitos.649.JPG

The Pearl on setting #3.5 worked well. It is a very impressive adjustable razor in all respects (so far; I'm new to it).

I enjoyed the 70/30, but it still has scritch, and it is still losing bristles. It is a flat out lather monster, and has delicious scrub. The scritch is not bad, but it's there. My two other mixed knots are better in that regard, but this is a useable brush.

12-20.ClasicoBayRum.HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.640JPG.JPG

No flies on today's shave.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

We'll see if I like it as much as Cal @Cal likes his. I'm very skeptical. I'm not eager to try it right away either.
Surrounded by all your other current glamorous razors, I certainly understand your skepticism. Perception coloring your thoughts.

For SCIENCE... just go for it with an open mind, i.e. don't expect anything good, bad, or indifferent — let the razor tell you (and I know that will be difficult). I look forward to your first shave report (I think). :cornut:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
View attachment 1267848
My new Yuma has arrived.

I replaced its handle with a fatter and heavier handle, one borrowed from a PAA DOC razor I don't ever use.​
View attachment 1267849

We'll see if I like it as much as Cal @Cal likes his. I'm very skeptical. I'm not eager to try it right away either.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Wait, you are not even going to try the Yuma with it's super cool looking handle that came with it? :crazy:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wait, you are not even going to try the Yuma with it's super cool looking handle that came with it? :crazy:

I like the look of the handle which came with it. I like that look a lot. What I don't like is the handle is a bit too skinny (10 mm by my calipers). Plus, I want a bit more weight, but the main thing is the diameter.

It might be better looking with a nice Timeless Ti handle, but then there is the problem of the threads which Cal has previously mentioned. The PAA handle overcomes that issue as its threads are a tad indented, but a washer and a nice Ti handle would do the same thing I think.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Yes, the Timeless handles certainly are beautiful. Are you going to stick with a scalloped cap for your Timeless Ti 0.95mm?
I have been giving Ti 0.95 OC baseplate some thought, but using the Tuxedo cap, as I like my total head weight around 30-35 grams. Plus, I think the Tuxedo cap looks rad.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yes, the Timeless handles certainly are beautiful. Are you going to stick with a scalloped cap for your Timeless Ti 0.95mm?
I have been giving Ti 0.95 OC baseplate some thought, but using the Tuxedo cap, as I like my total head weight around 30-35 grams. Plus, I think the Tuxedo cap looks rad.

The Tuxedo cap looks great in my view of it, but it's smooth rather than scalloped.

Frankly, I don't understand what you get with the Tuxedo option. Handle is potentially Tuxedo (but none are available)? Stand (no, not Tuxedo'd, according to the website)? Baseplate (it looks like it is, but it's available only in scalloped, and not OC)? I think that's the deal but I'm not 100%. In any case, it's a Timeless and likely to be excellent and beautiful.

Yes, I went with the scalloped cap for my new Timeless Ti razor (I already had the OC 95 Ti baseplate, so only ordered the cap, handle, and stand in Ti). The new items have been shipped and should arrive on Wednesday according to today's email from Timeless.

From what I've read, the only advantage of the scalloped cap is aesthetics (but I like how it looks, and I think it's a look strongly associated with Timeless razors).

Obviously, the truly important part is the shave. I'll be interested in seeing pictures of your gear, and hearing about its shave, etc. Have you used any Timeless razors? I got a great deal on the Bronze, but it opened a floodgate. I could just continue using the Ti OC 95 baseplate with the Bronze cap and handle, but I want to try a Ti razor, and I don't much like the look of mixed Bronze and Ti.

Are you saying there is a weight difference with the Tuxedo cap vs the smooth cap or scalloped cap? Wonder why?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom