What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
When I read this in my email, I couldnt see the pictures, I thought maybe you found a Gillette Slim gold plated by Timeless. I seem to remember them having the odd vintage razor for sale but I could be mistaken. That may have been ATT.

From their description:

View attachment 1196439

Thats 0.0196" gap. The NEW SC has .023" gap. The NEW SC is not what I think of as "aggressive" so I'm not sure how it could be unless it has more blade exposure and even then I likely wouldnt think of it as aggressive. For $245USD/CAD$311.82 I dont think I'll be finding out.

Exactly so, Mike.

From one shave this doesn't feel like or act like the NEW SC, but I get what you're saying. Also, I certainly don't think I've climbed the razor's learning curve.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
From one shave this doesn't feel like or act like the NEW SC, but I get what you're saying. Also, I certainly don't think I've climbed the razor's learning curve.

I know its early to ask but how would you compare the shave it gives to other razors you're more familiar with in regards to smoothness, comfort and efficiency? I'm all about maximizing, yet balancing, those aspects.

I assume, that razor will have neutral to very slightly positive or negative blade exposure. Combined with the gap I would expect it to be very smooth and give a very comfortable shave while sacrificing efficiency in relation to a Fatip, or even a NEW SC and Slim on settings above 4.

I'm a wet shaver. In other words, I've been shaving with a Gillette Fusion, and real shaving creams, and sometimes brushes for many years (well, decades if I include other iterations of Gillette's "modern" razors with multiple blades).

You know, I never really considered this before, but it still applies.
I had a damn comfortable shave today - because I didn't :pipe:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I know its early to ask but how would you compare the shave it gives to other razors you're more familiar with in regards to smoothness, comfort and efficiency? I'm all about maximizing, yet balancing, those aspects.

I assume, that razor will have neutral to very slightly positive or negative blade exposure. Combined with the gap I would expect it to be very smooth and give a very comfortable shave while sacrificing efficiency in relation to a Fatip, or even a NEW SC and Slim on settings above 4.

Very early, but it seems more efficient than the the FOCS and a whole lot less smooth. Again, one shave is a "mere impression" and one shave is what, about half an inch up the learning curve?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Well in all fairness, I would need want an OC with a scalloped cap and, naturally, it would have to be polished with an 85mm Barber Pole handle. All of which are extras...

1608242950772.png

Same for me, I'd want a scalloped cap. It all adds ⬆ up quickly in the check out column.

However, I also kinda appreciate the super expensive custom razors; the big problem is I would have no idea what specs to order (plus I don't want to spend the money plus I have a few razors already).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
1608242618645.png

⬆ BLADE EXPOSURE: 0.05mm, or 0.002" for you Mike. :wink2:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Very early, but it seems more efficient than the the FOCS and a whole lot less smooth.

Thats interesting...

However, I also kinda appreciate the super expensive custom razors; the big problem is I would have no idea what specs to order (plus I don't want to spend the money plus I have a few razors already).

I like them too. I really like Timeless razors but I balk at $300. The only aspect of design I'm not sure about, as far as a tailor made razor, is blade curvature.

Blade Gap: .010"
Blade Exposure: .004" or .006". I'd need to flip a coin a few times to be satisfied with my choice haha. So I guess that means .005".
Handle: 85mm
Finish: Mirror. Preferably 316 or 404 stainless or, gold plated.

I'm sure I can have all that, and more, for the princely sum of $500CAD or more and in the end I'd probably still end up using my Grande and MMOC that wouldnt break $100 if I had to buy them both again.

Would it look better on my shelf, maybe. Would it make me smile every time I used it, maybe. Can I justify the expense, no. Still want one though! lol

⬆ BLADE EXPOSURE: 0.05mm, or 0.002" for you Mike. :wink2:

Thanks for pointing that out to the lazy and impatient me lol. I was thinking either +/- .002". With all the blade support offered by the Timeless design, thats aggressive?

I dont understand how, even at an early stage in use as Jim's where differences would be more noticeable because you havent had the time to become accustomed to it yet, that it could feel less smooth and yet more efficient than his FOCS? I have a hard time understanding that but I fully believe his experience. This is why I find some of these modern razors so tempting. I sometimes feel like I'm missing something by not spending the money and buying them but I fail to grasp what I might be missing. I'm not spending hundreds of dollars on intangibles.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday continues the "Jim Trial" of the borrowed Timeless Slim.

12-18-20.timeless.Cal's.CH2Silvertip.Vitos.640.JPG

Wizamet SI
(Flipped)​

I used this brush because I wanted softness today. It's a two band with lots of backbone but not a giant amount of scrub. It is extremely soft for a two band.

The razor was a tad easier to use today, but I'm not at all sure I have the angle just right. The manufacturer says it's very smooth at the right angle. So far, it's nowhere near as smooth as my FOCS or my Executive on the #5 setting.

Any pointers on angle with this razor would be appreciated, as long as they're not advice to use it shallow.

That's not to say it's harsh or anything like that.

I'd say the shave is close, and my skin feels a bit overdone or burned (just a bit, not a big deal). I'm still climbing the learning curve with the razor.

Really like this splash and this moisturizer.
hyaluronic.acid.Brickell.CoconutBay.640.JPG

Brickell is obviously not Cremo Face Moisturize. I'm trying Brickell only because my old favorite for many many years, CFM, has been discontinued. Brickell is a lot more expensive but it may be sufficiently cost effective if I dial in how little to use. It might be better than CFM, but I'm not entirely sure yet.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
From the Dept. of Great Trivia...

Wine Casks, Butt, Barrel, Cool Stuff..jpg

Shaving related? You bet.

Someone could say, for example, "Today's mail included a firkin of bay rum."

The conversation would soon turn to acquiring a hogshead at a great price. Someone would suggest how great it would be to know you have a lifetime supply enough for a good while.

Don't get me started on soap.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

After meeting the new ⬆ Chief of Psychiatry ⬆

Big Nurse began randomly assigning and switching up medications. The idea is egalitarian. Prescriptions written for Patient Y might be assigned to Patient G while Patient Y gets my meds, etc.

proxy.php

You can see it's working really well.

They're adding a new wing onto our asylum to enlarge upon the new treatment. That pounding and hammering is not voices.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom