What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Found my lightbox, wish I'd bought a bigger one.
The pictures will get better the more I play with it - I hope!

iKon1thumb.jpg

iKon2thumb.jpg

I think the feather handle looks like it was made for the iKon head.

Just about to find out how well it shaves.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Found something on the size of my lightbox...

1607207474635.png

The model I purchased, use daily, and like just fine ⬇ was more expensive than many I found but I like it...

But, it ⬇ seems to be unavailable now.

1607207603924.png

If it were larger I'd not mind, but then it wouldn't fit in my available space. I do have to attend to how I arrange my "subjects" which sometimes means crowding. However, one adjusts.

This model might be the upgraded/improved version of mine. It also comes in several sizes; one is larger than mine. The one smaller than mine would be too small I think. I like the four different backdrop colors; mine came with two, but I can't find the white one.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

View attachment 1191109

The model I purchased, use daily, and like just fine ⬇ was more expensive than many I found but I like it...

View attachment 1191110

If it were larger I'd not mind, but then it wouldn't fit in my available space. I do have to attend to how I arrange my "subjects" which sometimes means crowding. However, one adjusts.

This model might be the upgraded/improved version of mine. It also comes in several sizes; one is larger than mine. The one smaller than mine would be too small I think. I like the four different backdrop colors; mine came with two, but I can't find the white one.

Happy shaves,

Jim

OK, that's about the size of my laptop. Seems about big enough to fit the shaving stuff in. I'll give it some thought. The only negative for me is the lack of the realist, in situ look. I quite like to see things as they are, out there in the wild.

I doubt much of anything will make me better at taking pictures. I've taken more photographs since joining B&B than the rest of my life put together. I never really liked cameras much, although I do really like looking at photographs, art photography mainly. And film.

View attachment 1191109

View attachment 1191110

Happy shaves,

Jim
It looks similar to the one I have but mine is only 9"x9"x9" and was ultra cheap, £9.99 I think. With 2 non dimmable strips of Led's.
Trying to take a picture without showing the white sides is difficult.

Hopefully found a solution though. Ordered up some 9" square sticky backed felt sheets that will make the whole of the inside one colour.
Much cheaper than buying a new bigger box.

Oh and the iKon X3 Slant?

Just might be the best DE razor I've ever bought. Incredibly smooth and efficient, everything the AS-D2 should have been - but wasn't.

Can't really tell after one shave of course, but I'm impressed so far.

Transferred the blade from the FOCS, so not a new blade. There's not a huge amount of difference between the iKon and the FOCS though, I would be happy with either right now. But, used Alum after the shave and the complete lack of "sting" was very striking in comparison with the FOCS.
Maybe my technique is getting better, or the blade is mellowing out. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It looks similar to the one I have but mine is only 9"x9"x9" and was ultra cheap, £9.99 I think. With 2 non dimmable strips of Led's.
Trying to take a picture without showing the white sides is difficult.

Hopefully found a solution though. Ordered up some 9" square sticky backed felt sheets that will make the whole of the inside one colour.
Much cheaper than buying a new bigger box.

Oh and the iKon X3 Slant?

Just might be the best DE razor I've ever bought. Incredibly smooth and efficient, everything the AS-D2 should have been - but wasn't.

Can't really tell after one shave of course, but I'm impressed so far.

Transferred the blade from the FOCS, so not a new blade. There's not a huge amount of difference between the iKon and the FOCS though, I would be happy with either right now. But, used Alum after the shave and the complete lack of "sting" was very striking in comparison with the FOCS.
Maybe my technique is getting better, or the blade is mellowing out. Time will tell.

Very impressive initial review of the X3!

When I ordered my light box the size I ordered was a wild guess mated with ignorance, but I was lucky.

The 12 inch light box is barely big enough for me; I would likely toss a 9 inch box. I don't have room for the 16 inch box or I'd have one.

A "great outdoors" scene is best for shaving related photos in my view, but I spend a few seconds with my daily photos whereas finding and utilizing any outdoor scene, much less a great one, would be beyond my time constraints most days.

I see some possibilities ⬆ but then there's the Laziness Factor. At the beach it's another story.

On issue for me, and I'd guess for many gentlemen, is long term skin comfort. The FOCS offers me a daily driver solution. I wouldn't say I can't imagine more comfort than the FOCS delivers (over time), but I don't know of another DE razor with that much comfort combined with that much closeness.

I would never say all razors are great and it's all technique. I don't believe that. In fact, it seems nutty to me, but technique and learning the individual razor are hugely important. Some razors have been a snap for me and others to shave with (FOCS), but you might have trouble learning the same razor and be easily able to master one I struggle to get the hang of but eventually learn to use well.

Bet you're going to enjoy the X3. I last used mine a couple of weeks ago I think. My impressions then were based on having greatly improved with it, perhaps due to climbing some of the Wunderbar learning curve. The X3 is very smooth, and pretty efficient, but not quite able to easily get my soul patch (hardest area).

The Gillette Executive is better on my soul patch area. Not perfect. The combination of BBS around my mouth and a Damn Comfortable Shave in that area has been extremely elusive.

Comfort has to be Number One for me. Not every day (so I can experiment) but overall and over time, but overall BBS would be great, too, and I'm leagues from that.

Leagues? Probably not. If I added up the left after a shave length of each individual whisker and added the lengths by gluing together all the tiny whiskers to make one long whisker, how long would it be?

Not a league. Not by miles.

Writing, Shaving, Brain Surgery (meme).jpg

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
F-2.Exective.11-27-20.640JPG.JPG

Pretty sure - going by the feeling of my skin at the moment - #5 is the better adjustment for me compared with #6. On the other hand, today's was an "aggressive" shave.

I'm likely to apply Hyaluronic Acid and Cremo Face Moisturizer before bedtime.

Happy shaves,

Jim

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

View attachment 1191109

View attachment 1191110

Happy shaves,

Jim

Mine is just three sided, with small spotlights which sit outside, and shine through the walls

proxy.php

It would be good enough for the job, if I could be bothered to use it :lol: Also, the white areas aren't as white as they use to be. I'd need to get more background materials for it though.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today, Sunday, completes my experiment with the Executive.

That does not mean I won't use it anymore because it's a razor I like a whole lot.

Gillette Executive
Adjustment #5

Wizamet SI, Flipped

Vitos Red

Rudy Vey
Shavemac 26 mm D01 2 Band​
12-6-20.Executive-on-#5.RV-D01.Vitos.640..JPG

This experiment had two goals. Find out if I like the Executive, and, if so, if I like it more than the Slim. Determine the adjustment setting best for me were I using the razor as a daily driver.

I like it more than the Slim. The setting best for me is #5. Yes, I like the Executive. A lot.

Other settings might have their uses, but I can get a good, quick shave mostly going N-S with one lathered pass. That's what I did today. It's also what Gillette intended the razor to be able to accomplish.

Hyaluronic.Cremo.Beach.AtHoldenBeach.640.8-31-20.JPG

I'm not at the beach, but it smells like I am.

It's not summer, but it smells like it is.​

PAA makes some seriously excellent splashes. All of their splashes, the ones I've tried, have been quite good. To be fair, I've not tried very many, and I tend to order splashes I am pretty sure I will favor.

The Gillette Executive is a very good razor!

Happy shaves,

Jim

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Jim, on your reawakening to DE, are you finding you like any razors as much as the Wonky Chomp? That razor was like a "Wow, I do like DE after all" moment, or seemed to be on this screen, but that seems to have applied to other razors since too. I just wonder how close the others have come to that Damn Comfortable Shave that you crave since having that liberation, if I can call it that?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've been hankering for long, hot, sweaty summer days since two weeks ago. It's 5 degrees here. :sad:

Scents help.

Jim, on your reawakening to DE, are you finding you like any razors as much as the Wonky Chomp? That razor was like a "Wow, I do like DE after all" moment, or seemed to be on this screen, but that seems to have applied to other razors since too. I just wonder how close the others have come to that Damn Comfortable Shave that you crave since having that liberation, if I can call it that?

Excellent question, Al.

I've enjoyed and learned from using several razors since the Fatip Open Comb Slant got my attention, and was used as a daily driver for months.

The big deal for me is the combination of a good close long lasting shave with a Damn Comfortable Shave, day after day. So, the test includes daily driver capacity.

Al, I wouldn't say any of the others have the balance of qualities - close + comfortable - of the FOCS. Well, either that or I've not mastered them. The Fatip didn't seem to require any mastery, but just hit it off right away with my skin and whiskers.

It's not terribly difficult to find a razor more efficient than the Fatip OC Slant which is itself pretty efficient. What is very difficult is finding one which retains that efficiency without giving up comfort of the sort the FOCS easily delivers.

I'm not a fan of feeling "overdone" between shaves. Even with the FOCS I can get a little of that, but usually don't get so much that it becomes off putting.

Can I learn some of the other razors better? Makes sense that I can, but why and at what expense?

The Gillette Executive has some potential in that regard. It's definitely an easy wow razor, yes, but it's not displaced the FOCS. So far it's easy enough to use, and feels very smooth, but maybe not quite at the daily driver level at this point on my learning curve.

Pretty lousy answer, Al, but it's the best I can do at the moment.

Happy shaves,

Jim

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Can I learn some of the other razors better? Makes sense that I can, but why and at what expense?

If I swap and change razors, the calibre of my shaves plummets. If I stick with one long enough, I will (with most razors) gradually get myself back to the same calibre of shave that I can achieve with my Edwin Jagger. However, doing so throws out all my calibration with the Jagger, and it takes me ages to settle back in with it again.

Nett gain: Nothing, other than having a little side quest to do.

Nett cost: Spend the best part of a month getting right back where I started.

Swapping and changing brushes would likely be less disorientating for me, but equally unrewarding. That's why I don't change my hardware much. Sometimes I o need to break and reset the cycle to stop shaves from drifting towards tedious, but not often. Changing to a new blade, which is done every 10-14 saves normally, or serving up a small portion of a different soap every now and again, is typically enough to keep shaves interesting, without getting too inconsistent.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
If I swap and change razors, the calibre of my shaves plummets. If I stick with one long enough, I will (with most razors) gradually get myself back to the same calibre of shave that I can achieve with my Edwin Jagger. However, doing so throws out all my calibration with the Jagger, and it takes me ages to settle back in with it again.

Nett gain: Nothing, other than having a little side quest to do.

Nett cost: Spend the best part of a month getting right back where I started.

Swapping and changing brushes would likely be less disorientating for me, but equally unrewarding. That's why I don't change my hardware much. Sometimes I o need to break and reset the cycle to stop shaves from drifting towards tedious, but not often. Changing to a new blade, which is done every 10-14 saves normally, or serving up a small portion of a different soap every now and again, is typically enough to keep shaves interesting, without getting too inconsistent.

Interesting, Al.

As far as I'm aware I don't regress with razor X because of using razor Y for a while. Actually, again, this is as far as I can tell, it's the opposite. When I used the borrowed Wunderbar for a while (long enough to climb a good little way on its learning curve) my shaves with the iKon X3 (which I don't use much, but have used "enough") made a very remarkable quantum leap. Also my shaves with the FOCS didn't drop off at all I think.

I could be wrong about this ⬆ of course, but it's what I'm aware of with a couple of other examples, too.

One thing I should mention is this. I often say I'm a steep angle shaver which is true, but it's perhaps more true that my angles are based on tactile and sometimes audible feedback so I don't actually have or tend to develop locked in angle habits. If that makes sense it might be relevant.

Happy shaves,

Jim

One thing I should mention is this. I often say I'm a steep angle shaver which is true, but it's perhaps more true that my angles are based on tactile and sometimes audible feedback so I don't actually have or tend to develop locked in angle habits. If that makes sense it might be relevant.

Happy shaves,

Jim

This is exactly how I like to shave, although I wouldn't like to say I'm a steep angle shaver. I find my angles by listening and feeling for feedback from the blade or razor.

I don't particularly like singing blades when using straights though. Much prefer less noisy blades, for some reason i get less cuts and nicks from them.

For all other methods of shaving, DE, SE, Injectors, I go for the tactile feedback to get the optimum shaving angle. Exception to that would be the Feather AS-D2, but it's too much like hard work to get the best angle to shave with that - riding the cap as they say. I can shave with it and get decent results, but prefer not to use it.
At least the handle is getting used now for my iKon X3 head, so it's useful for something.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This is exactly how I like to shave, although I wouldn't like to say I'm a steep angle shaver. I find my angles by listening and feeling for feedback from the blade or razor.

I don't particularly like singing blades when using straights though. Much prefer less noisy blades, for some reason i get less cuts and nicks from them.

For all other methods of shaving, DE, SE, Injectors, I go for the tactile feedback to get the optimum shaving angle. Exception to that would be the Feather AS-D2, but it's too much like hard work to get the best angle to shave with that - riding the cap as they say. I can shave with it and get decent results, but prefer not to use it.
At least the handle is getting used now for my iKon X3 head, so it's useful for something.

I started with the AS-D2. Struggled with it. Persisted for a while. Gave up. Sold it. Later I bought it back, so I have the AS-D2 I started with. Tried it again. No joy. I know how one is supposed to use it. Maybe I'll try it again sometime.

Captain of the Obvious (meme).jpg

I firmly believe the AS-D2 is designed to use and really best suited to use the Feather blade.

The Feather blade always gives me a good shave during the shave itself (I'm not sure about whether always includes here the AS-D2), but the Feather blade always leaves me feeling burned or overdone post shave.

1607350904348.png

Shaving by feedback with the Schick open to clean E-2 is how I discovered steep angle shaving. It works for me. As I said, I'm going by feedback but the razor ends up steep doing so.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday the week began with a good shave.

12-7-20.FOCS.SimpsonsSoap.Chubby2.SilvertipBadger.640.JPG

FOCS
Flipped Wizamet SI

Chubby 2 Silvertip Badger
(which is two band)

Simpson's Luxury Shaving Cream
(which is a soap)​
Clásico Bay Rum

Hyaluronic Acid
Cremo Face Moisturizer​
Clasico Bay Rum.640.12-5-20.New.JPG

I've only used my new Clásico Bay Rum a few times. It's definitely different from Atomic Age Bay Rum, but it's also very good. I like it a lot. Saturday (I think it was) my wife commented on how nice it smelled on me; for the record my wife literally never comments on my splashes so this was hugely big deal event in my life.

1607352301241.png

Still, I have some good kit, my shaves are good enough, and I smell good. Sometimes I even manage to assume myself.

See the first spoiler.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I started with the AS-D2. Struggled with it. Persisted for a while. Gave up. Sold it. Later I bought it back, so I have the AS-D2 I started with. Tried it again. No joy. I know how one is supposed to use it. Maybe I'll try it again sometime.

View attachment 1191859

I firmly believe the AS-D2 is designed to use and really best suited to use the Feather blade.

The Feather blade always gives me a good shave during the shave itself (I'm not sure about whether always includes here the AS-D2), but the Feather blade always leaves me feeling burned or overdone post shave.

View attachment 1191854

Shaving by feedback with the Schick open to clean E-2 is how I discovered steep angle shaving. It works for me. As I said, I'm going by feedback but the razor ends up steep doing so.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Hello Jim
Try a DE Kai SS blade in the AS-D2, the blade is extra wide compared to a standard blade by .009 thousands of inch for more blade feel or exposure, a lot better than shimming. I found the blade to be Sharp & smooth with great longevity. I use it in my milder razors or a razor that needs a little more aggression & efficentcy. Good to have a few tucks for certain razors IMO.
KAI SS DE Blade.jpg

Top Bottom