What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
When I ordered mine from him, the tracking was of no use once they left Bulgaria lol, but I had them in 2 weeks to the day. My nephew also ordered several hundred and I think his took just over two weeks.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
The screenshot below shows my gun club. Once it was voted in to expand the club and ranges it fell to the membership to do the work.

View attachment 837883

The areas in red total around 8 acres and took us 6 months to cut, clear and bulldoze. For the most part that was 3-4 days a week for a few of us with me felling and limbing, sometimes with a friend helping, another member on a tractor dragging the logs to a landing, and one other working the chain on and off the logs, limbing, bucking ect who was also the club cook so he was also busy keeping us all fed and watered.

That was a lot of work and I gained a lot of experience doing it. I was much relieved when I got to switch from my little 27cc Stihl to a 92cc Husky...
96545bf3631e64d4505211b2b05f4705.600x341x1.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Fatip Piccolo with a Polsilver blade. Third shave with both.

Shave Secret Shave Oil
Captain's Choice North
Auction acquired, small, butterscotch-handled badger
Dickinson's Witch Hazel
Nivea Max Hydration balm

Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve Cologne and After Shave

I like this little brush more and more. It has very little backbone, but it works very well, and fits in my hand very nicely. It lathers extremely well. It is not the softest badger I've used, but it is soft enough, and also scritchy enough. Besides, it is both cute and beautiful. I love the color of its handle.

I'll get pictures of it again when I have a chance, and it is dry.
Special Reserve.jpg
The Special Reserve Cologne and After Shave is special indeed. It persists. It is unique in its scent. It may not suit everybody, but I like it a lot.

Captain's Choice is a very nice shaving soap. The North smells wonderful to me. What's not to like about it? Answer: Nothing.

My shave was as usual with the Piccolo and the Polsilver blade. Close, very close I think. Smooth. Reasonably comfortable. BBS on my face. DFS on my neck.

I wish I could find baby on my neck with this razor!

But, I'm not complaining. I'll improve over time.

Fatip's Secret The Comfort Club.jpg

The Piccolo shaves at a new standard of reasonable comfort - established by this razor and its brother and cousin, the Gentile and the Schöne - all of which are extremely smooth, have almost no gap, and seem to have nailed the angle at which the blade is held relative to the Shaving Plane.

I have not quite hit but am working towards a Damn Comfortable Shave!

Were I to give up on a neck BBS I'd probably be there. I could do a lot fewer neck passes. However, baby is an important goal for me. The issue is finding baby, and closeness, and comfort. It is a tall order. The Fatip Piccolo comes close, and really hits the comfort spot; without that nothing matters.

Very pleased I am.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
It sounds as though you're really enjoying the Piccolo. More so than the others you're tried to this point?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It sounds as though you're really enjoying the Piccolo. More so than the others you're tried to this point?

Of the DE razors, yes. The other Fatip razors (Gentile and Schöne) are great, too, in terms of smoothness, but the Piccolo is at least a bit more efficient.

BOSC Motto.jpg

The SE razors - particularly the Colonial General SS - have great promise.

However, the Piccolo is so comfortable. A nice blend of comfort, closeness, and (not bad) smoothness of the shave.

I haven't really given the Phoenix Bakelite OC Slant a completely adequate trial. The NEW SC is a very nice razor, but I like the Fatip better I think. I've not tried the GEM razors at all yet.

Further studies are indicated.

I suspect I will have to try an ATT SE1 and SE2 down the road.

If I knew of a razor more efficient than the Fatip (not more aggressive), and equally comfortable, and giving a very close shave...I'd try it out. However, I've barely scratched the surface with Fatip Piccolo and blades. Maybe another blade will make the razor much more efficient. Like maybe a Nacet.

So, to answer your question. Yes, but with qualifications.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Fourth shave with my new Fatip Piccolo. Fourth use of this Polsilver blade.

Shave Secret Shave Oil
Wickham 1912 Cashmere
Stirling fan-shaped, butterscotch handled badger
Dickinson's Witch Hazel
Nivea Max Hydration balm

Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve

Not the most comfortable shave I've had with this razor. I had the notion I should use the Gentile this morning, and I should have listened to it. Still, my shave is quite close, and pretty smooth, and not more than a minor amount uncomfortable on only parts of my neck.

I'd call it BBS on my face, after two passes, and DFS on my neck, after numerous passes. It is a very close to BBS neck shave though. Why? I have no idea. I did nothing unusual.

Well, actually, I did one pass in a slightly different ATG? direction. Could that have helped? Maybe. It can be done again. I know what the direction was. This comes from my ten million efforts to map my beard. Beard mapping becomes easier and more accurate I think as the shaves become smoother and closer; it becomes more possible to evaluate what still needs cutting, and was missed due to an imprecise map, when more has been cut, if that makes sense to you.

Listen Up.jpg

I do not want to place much emphasis on the comfort issue because it isn't much of an issue. Besides, it is an error, my error, to not listen to my own advice when I know it is good.

Today's shave is a very good one. I'm pleased, but not quite satisfied with it. I want every shave to be a Damn Comfortable Shave.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
On beard mapping: I’ve seen different suggestions on how to beard map. I think the traditional way of mapping (cotton ball or whatever with several days of growth) works well for the beard reduction passes. But I think my beard changes grain slightly once reduced. I say this because my straight ATG passes are not opposite my WTG passes. Big John over on YouTube (channel is called mad scientist of wet shaving, a BOSC’er if I’ve ever seen one) advises getting a good WTG then XTG shave, THEN using your fingers with your face still wet to determine your best ATG pass and he says that is your grain. Just a different way of looking at things that I’ve found useful as I work on ATG shaving. His videos are a bit long but some of my favorites. I always learn a ton from him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
On beard mapping: I’ve seen different suggestions on how to beard map. I think the traditional way of mapping (cotton ball or whatever with several days of growth) works well for the beard reduction passes. But I think my beard changes grain slightly once reduced. I say this because my straight ATG passes are not opposite my WTG passes. Big John over on YouTube (channel is called mad scientist of wet shaving, a BOSC’er if I’ve ever seen one) advises getting a good WTG then XTG shave, THEN using your fingers with your face still wet to determine your best ATG pass and he says that is your grain. Just a different way of looking at things that I’ve found useful as I work on ATG shaving. His videos are a bit long but some of my favorites. I always learn a ton from him.

Yes, that is exactly in line with my experience although I've not been able to articulate it so well.

You have a link to the particular video?

Thanks so much.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Yes, that is exactly in line with my experience although I've not been able to articulate it so well.

You have a link to the particular video?

Thanks so much.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I cannot seem to locate the video on my mobile YouTube app. I will have to look for it later this afternoon or evening then get back to you.

He has a lot of videos. Looks like great stuff. Haven't found the right one yet.

He has a lot of great videos. He is very vocal about his opinions, not unlike Chris bailey in that way, but he calls it like he sees it which I appreciate. If he doesn’t like a product, he’ll say so. He also makes a lot of his own stuff so some of his early videos are great if you want to make some of your own stuff.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
However, the Piccolo is so comfortable. A nice blend of comfort, closeness, and (not bad) smoothness of the shave.

Its been said before, and will be said again the more people try one.

the Piccolo has some magical buttery smooth thing going on that makes it very user friendly.

It really is weird how they can be as smooth as they are, as efficient as they are and yes, very user friendly.

It is a very close to BBS neck shave though. Why? I have no idea. I did nothing unusual.

Its been said that the BBS finish comes in its own time. Perhaps its time is approaching.

Beard mapping becomes easier and more accurate I think as the shaves become smoother and closer; it becomes more possible to evaluate what still needs cutting, and was missed due to an imprecise map, when more has been cut, if that makes sense to you.

That does take time and I swear sometimes it even changes lol. Once you get a handle on the proper directions throughout a shave, the next hurdle is the differing depths of cut, angle of the razor on different areas. Just bear in mind at least with the OC Fatip heads, the change in angle needed is very small.

The NEW SC is a very nice razor, but I like the Fatip better I think.

The NEW SC is a very good razor, easily among the best DE's ever made. Its nearly as smooth as the Fatip and nearly as efficient. I found when I switched back to it that it was much easier to use after becoming proficient with my Grande, but even starting directly ATG with a Polsilver blade, it still took the same 2 1/2 passes it always has and because of the gap I had to slow down. The Grande saves me one full pass with the same blade.

Big John over on YouTube (channel is called mad scientist of wet shaving, a BOSC’er if I’ve ever seen one) advises getting a good WTG then XTG shave, THEN using your fingers with your face still wet to determine your best ATG pass and he says that is your grain.

I'd agree with that. I've found its easier to get a BBS shave with a more conventional 3 passes than it is with one single lathering pass, but the final result is the same and only the number of passes and strokes differ.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
He has a lot of great videos...If he doesn’t like a product, he’ll say so. He also makes a lot of his own stuff so some of his early videos are great if you want to make some of your own stuff.

I made a shaving oil. I followed a recipe published by @rabidus for general guidance, and also read various things I found online about other recipes, and what the various carrier and essential oils might do, etc. I bought the ingredients on Amazon. The oils are not cheap at all, but I probably have a lifetime supply other than essential oils. Fortunately, SWMBO has some essential oils. I only need a few drops of some of them, and she's generous.

I made a small amount of the shaving oil, but it is still probably enough for a month or two.

So, yes, I did find his video on making stuff (maybe there's more than one). It is very interesting to see how basic and simple and easy it is.

I happened to come across and buy a jar of good shea butter at Walmart so I'm set to make more products combining shea butter and oils. Of course, it's not like I need any products!

Thanks for introducing me to Big John. I'd not before come across any of his stuff.

Happy shave,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Fifth shave with Fatip Piccolo. Fifth use of the same Polsilver blade.

Home-made shaving oil
DR Harris Arlington soap
Semogue SOC boar
Dickinson's Witch Hazel
Nivea Max Hydration

Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

Usual shave (which varies day by day). Usual results. BBS face. DFS neck.

A bit of discomfort on my neck. I would like to have a better neck shave, and a more comfortable neck shave. It's not horrible, or even bad, but it is not BBS, and it is not a Damn Comfortable Shave.

I will put a little made-in-my hand balm on my neck. Shea butter and witch hazel, or shea butter and Tiger Balm maybe, something like that. If that doesn't work I'll use some of the Cool Fix after a while.

This is a terrific razor. Certainly my best DE, I think. But, perfect? Not so far. However, I have a ways to go with perfecting the process, and trying out blades. It's the first DE razor I've used which has, given my current level of shaving experience and expertise, convinced me it is worth pursuing for a while without moving to another razor.

If I knew of a more efficient, but not aggressive, smooth shaving, comfortable shaving DE razor I might buy it, but I do not think one exists. I believe this is the top of the heap.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
A bit of discomfort on my neck. I would like to have a better neck shave, and a more comfortable neck shave. It's not horrible, or even bad, but it is not BBS, and it is not a Damn Comfortable Shave.

I will put a little made-in-my hand balm on my neck. Shea butter and witch hazel, or shea butter and Tiger Balm maybe, something like that. If that doesn't work I'll use some of the Cool Fix after a while.

A small amount of shea butter + a little Lucky Tiger feels great on my neck.

About a little finger's fingernail sized amount of shea butter was rubbed between my palms until my palms became quite warm. Then, I added a little Lucky Tiger, and rubbed it on my face and neck. Very nice feeling, and calming of my skin.

Lilac Vegetal followed soon afterwards.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This is a shave report and an update on my status.

I am not at all happy with my lower neck this morning.

Turkey Worse.jpg

Yesterday I felt like my lower neck was a problem all day after my morning shave. It seemed to me, as the day went on, the problem was partially that I had not really shaved to a sufficient degree the whiskers on my lower neck. The whiskers themselves felt prickly + I had some razor burn or irritation or something going on.

I tried a number of things, and some of them helped a good bit, but nothing worked quite as well as I hoped. This morning the problem was still around, but my neck felt better when I applied Walmart's knock-off Noxzema (Equate brand) to my beard; this morning application of Noxzema is routine, daily, and was not for the irritation, but as pre-shave of sorts.

I decided to shave with the Colonial General SS razor this morning.

Homemade shaving oil
Stirling fan-shaped, butterscotch handled badger
WSP Formula T (Tobacco)
Dickinson's Witch Hazel
Lucky Tiger

I've also used the Cool Fix to see if I can get my neck to feel better. It helps but not enough.

My shave was a first pass N-S, and a second pass S-N, and, on my neck, one pass ATG (more or less, as my neck's grain is still somewhat mysterious).

Results (immediate post shave): BBS face. DFS neck.

These seem to be my smoothness results with just about any razor unless I go over my neck a million times, and, even then, a BBS neck is not a given.

I would call this a very close shave considering I was not remotely chasing baby. My only goals were a decent enough shave and a comfortable shave. I would have quite after the first pass, but it was not quite decent enough as a shave.

My lower neck is certainly closely shaved.

Results (later): The part of my neck, middle right, which is so hard to smooth feels smooth now, about 40 minutes after my shave, whereas it did not feel smooth right after I shaved.

I suppose I could say I have a BBS now. I find it hard to judge this during my shave, and right after my shave. It always feels like there is more to take off on the right side of my neck unless I do too many passes.

However, the comfort is not close to my ideal. It isn't even close to acceptable. I'm talking here only of the comfort on my lower neck. Everything else feels perfectly comfortable.

I am not blaming the Fatip Piccolo I used yesterday nor am I blaming the Colonial General SS I used today. My technique is good I think. My prep would be hard to beat.

Hard To Please.jpeg

I have a finicky and hard to please and sensitive and difficult lower neck. It has become abundantly clear to me that the skin on my lower neck is different from the skin on the rest of my neck and on my face. The beard on my lower neck is not an issue - it shaves easily enough compared to the rest of my neck - but the skin is an issue.

The rest of my skin is easy enough. Not always easy to shave smoothly, but easy to shave closely without producing much irritation assuming I do a decent job of it, get the angle right, use the right pressure, etc.

Even though I have a finicky and hard to please and sensitive and difficult lower neck my shaves recently have been comfortable enough (not perfect, but acceptable) until yesterday.

Today seems like an extension of yesterday. I do not believe I did any further damage today.

ASA Razor Burn.jpg

I am going to make up an aspirin paste for my lower neck. That has helped in the past.

Oh, I liked the soap. It is a soap I used once or twice a good while back. It is creamy, slick, easy to lather, etc. Nothing about it is anything but good. I have a slightly runny nose and will not attempt to evaluate the scent today as I really am not smelling everything terribly well, but I'm smelling some things well enough and didn't smell the soap so its scent is probably pretty mild.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
One crushed Bayer Aspirin + a little bit of witch hazel to dissolve it + a little Noxzema = A much happier camper.

Go Away Neck Pain.jpg

Some solutions are the right solutions.

Also some suspensions are the right solutions.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom