What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My suggestion is to downplay results and, for at least a full month, exclusively use a razor that you know doesn't cause your areas of concern to flare up. Use whatever products you have found to be nourishing and healing to your areas of concern.

Skin changes as we get older. These areas may need a higher level of "pampering" moving forward to prevent chronic inflammation.

Just some thoughts from my personal experiences.

Sounds like a plan.

Having used my new and expensive Taiga only once I'm going to have to set it aside for now.

The Muramasa is hard to beat. I'll use it for a while, and nothing else.

I'm not sure a month is needed, but I am sure I've got to let my skin get back to where it was before I shaved on Friday morning, with the Taiga.

This will be very hard, as I very much want to determine whether I like the Taiga. (And I like it a lot, but that doesn't mean it's a good razor for me.) I should have the Sailor coming before too very long. I also have some other good razors I know work for me.

It occurred to me a minute or two ago that I once all but abandoned the DE platform in favor of razors like the original Colonial General SS and the Schick Type E2 and Type L3 injector. It was the FOCS which sucked me back into the DE world, from the straight razors.

In other words, in spite of my hobbyist experimentation, I could name a few razors I consider Daily Drivers.

Lots of options.

David, I suspect what you've suggested is the right plan, but imagine how hard it would be for you to do.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like a plan.

Having used my new and expensive Taiga only once I'm going to have to set it aside for now.

The Muramasa is hard to beat. I'll use it for a while, and nothing else.

I'm not sure a month is needed, but I am sure I've got to let my skin get back to where it was before I shaved on Friday morning, with the Taiga.

This will be very hard, as I very much want to determine whether I like the Taiga. (And I like it a lot, but that doesn't mean it's a good razor for me.) I should have the Sailor coming before too very long. I also have some other good razors I know work for me.

It occurred to me a minute or two ago that I once all but abandoned the DE platform in favor of razors like the original Colonial General SS and the Schick Type E2 and Type L3 injector. It was the FOCS which sucked me back into the DE world, from the straight razors.

In other words, in spite of my hobbyist experimentation, I could name a few razors I consider Daily Drivers.

Lots of options.

David, I suspect what you've suggested is the right plan, but imagine how hard it would be for you to do.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I understand. It is very difficult for "BOSC Scientists" like you and me to surrender to the conformity of using the same razor every day.

Perhaps identify 2, 3, a few razors that fill the desired role. Two of your razors that come to mind are the Muramasa and the ATT CM1. There must be another one or two? Maybe add the Colonial General (my #2 AC blade razor ;)) and your Injectors back into the rotation?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I understand. It is very difficult for "BOSC Scientists" like you and me to surrender to the conformity of using the same razor every day.

Perhaps identify 2, 3, a few razors that fill the desired role. Two of your razors that come to mind are the Muramasa and the ATT CM1. There must be another one or two? Maybe add the Colonial General (my #2 AC blade razor ;)) and your Injectors back into the rotation?

The General is on an extended road trip with Grant, but will return pretty soon.

Other than that, it's a good idea. I can make a list of possibilities. Razors I have at home or at the office (trustworthy).
  • SS DLC Hawk.
  • CM1
  • FOCS
  • Muramasa
  • Schick injectors
  • Schick Krona DE
The Krona hasn't been used enough to achieve Daily Driver status. The injectors haven't been used in a long time, but I'm pretty certain of them. Etc.

The Muramasa will be my choice unless I get too bored.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The General is on an extended road trip with Grant, but will return pretty soon.

Other than that, it's a good idea. I can make a list of possibilities. Razors I have at home or at the office (trustworthy).
  • SS DLC Hawk.
  • CM1
  • FOCS
  • Muramasa
  • Schick injectors
  • Schick Krona DE
The Krona hasn't been used enough to achieve Daily Driver status. The injectors haven't been used in a long time, but I'm pretty certain of them. Etc.

The Muramasa will be my choice unless I get too bored.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Sounds like a good plan, my friend. Please let me know how I can offer support. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday's shave was very good.

1-17-22.CH2.TwoBand.CK-6.Muramasa.640JPG.JPG

I decided on a very safe razor, the Muramasa, and set it on ~2.5. For my final neck pass I bumped it to 5. Also did a final WTG soul patch pass on 5.

Going into today's shave I was more concerned about my skin than I am now, several hours post shave.

My preshave included shea butter applied an hour or so before this morning's shave, the Cube in the shower, and the Tube at the sink. I used a flipped Wizamet SI blade.

MysteriumSerumBalm.Label.640.1-14-22.JPG

Coconut Bay Splash. 12-16-20. 640JPG.JPG

Used some favorite post shave products.

Mysterium Serum Post Shave Balm is excellent stuff. It has a bit of hyaluronic acid and a plethora of high end ingredients. Better, it feels great, is quickly absorbed, and seems to do the trick very well indeed.

My skin is not fully recovered but it seems to be headed in the right direction. I see and feel no evidence of damage resultant from today's shave.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Monday's shave was very good.

View attachment 1395153

I decided on a very safe razor, the Muramasa, and set it on ~2.5. For my final neck pass I bumped it to 5. Also did a final WTG soul patch pass on 5.

Going into today's shave I was more concerned about my skin than I am now, several hours post shave.

My preshave included shea butter applied an hour or so before this morning's shave, the Cube in the shower, and the Tube at the sink. I used a flipped Wizamet SI blade.

Used some favorite post shave products.

Mysterium Serum Post Shave Balm is excellent stuff. It has a bit of hyaluronic acid and a plethora of high end ingredients. Better, it feels great, is quickly absorbed, and seems to do the trick very well indeed.

My skin is not fully recovered but it seems to be headed in the right direction. I see and feel no evidence of damage resultant from today's shave.

Happy shaves,

Jim
A good start! :)

One more suggestion: Like you, I flip my blade after every shave. Unlike you, I bin my DE blades after 5 (6 at the most) shaves. Feathers get binned after 3 (4 at the most) shaves.

Have you considered that a blade slightly past its prime is contributing to the issue?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I pretty much never end up discarding a dull to the point of not cutting whiskers blade. Seldom do I go to the point of them tugging. Back when I used cartridges, the razors would tug but I'd use them for months anyway, sometimes.

Sometime I'll consider beating the EC guys at their own game. Maybe I will. I see no reason why I couldn't.

1642469822054.png

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday my shave was good.

1-18-22.Muramasa.SS-NIL.CH2.Best.640.JPG

Settings. General, 2.5. Final pass of neck and soul patch, 5.0. Blade was flipped Wizamet SI.

Preshave began last night with shea butter. Continued with Cube/Tube.

I've not mastered this razor nor have I maxed out its possibilities, but I like it. A lot.

Diver Down Spalsh.640.JPG

Figuring out how to use this adjustable to closely shave some of my difficult areas is a fun project.

I like this balm, too. A lot.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Attachments

• Diver Down Spalsh.640.JPG
    Diver Down Spalsh.640.JPG
    399.2 KB · Views: 74
  • MysteriumSerumBalm.Label.640.1-14-22.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 73

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Let's see if this works. Been having trouble with the system today. Unable to post normally.

It's giving me two columns with this post and other older posts.

I do not find this elsewhere when I look around. Not that I've looked a lot. Work.

I've looked in a few other threads and posted in them and they're not screwed up.

Wonder what this is

Let's see if this works. Been having trouble with the system today. Unable to post normally.

It's giving me two columns with this post and other older posts.

I do not find this elsewhere when I look around. Not that I've looked a lot. Work.

I've looked in a few other threads and posted in them and they're not screwed up.

Wonder what this is>
:hand: Now you've broken it!

You ol' bifurcator you. :devil:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The column issue usually happens when someone copies and pastes a Table into their post. It causes a formatting error which creates double columns.
I can't find the table that is causing the problem, so we have kicked it up to the IT guru.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Ok, I found it. It was in post #11,294
The photos were inserted into a table.
I downloaded the photos, deleted the table and photos in the post, and then uploaded the photos.

Please don't put tables in the forum posts till we figure out why this happens! :lol1:

Last edited:
Top Bottom