What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I'm too much of a heathen to dwell in the Cafe though. They all seem to speak a language I don't understand :letterk1: Anyone would think making a brew was a complicated affair, but even I can manage it, so it can't be that complex.
I make do with donut shop coffee just fine.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I make do with donut shop coffee just fine.
Uggh! No, I can't do coffee that's made anywhere else. Coffee shops, or other vendors who supposedly know what they're doing, make some vile concoctions in the name of coffee, that I have to batter to death with MANY sugar sachets before I can even attempt it. I don't know how they do it. I've made a few bad cups of coffee in my time, but nothing like that stuff!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Uggh! No, I can't do coffee that's made anywhere else. Coffee shops, or other vendors who supposedly know what they're doing, make some vile concoctions in the name of coffee, that I have to batter to death with MANY sugar sachets before I can even attempt it. I don't know how they do it. I've made a few bad cups of coffee in my time, but nothing like that stuff!
I spent many hours at the counter of the local Denny's chatting with friends, and they use Farmer Bros coffee grounds just like the donut shop I got to. Black.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I spent many hours at the counter of the local Denny's chatting with friends, and they use Farmer Bros coffee grounds just like the donut shop I got to. Black.

Just regular supermarket brand ground coffee for me, or Taylor's, if there's any on the shelf when I go (same company as Yorkshire Tea). Made in a cafetierre. Drank with milk and sugar. No more than two a day, and probably averaging six cups mugs a week.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

My secretary does just about everything at a very competent level, but I'll be damned if I can teach her to make decent coffee. I can't even figure out what's she's doing wrong.

In response I bought for my office a basic Keurig K-Slim so I could get decent coffee at work. Believe me, that's not exactly my cup of tea, but it will do.

1642796779344.png

My usual at home brand of coffee is the medium roast Community Coffee breakfast blend, but I might like the GMBB pod-made coffee in the office even better. I'm very surprised.

At home I use on occasion my SS French press, but mostly I use my Bunn. Both work well. They don't make the same coffee, but both make good coffee.

None of the coffee shops make coffee I much like. I'll get a Starbuck light roast pour over if I have to. Dunkin Donuts coffee is pretty decent.

Black for me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My secretary does just about everything at a very competent level, but I'll be damned if I can teach her to make decent coffee. I can't even figure out what's she's doing wrong.

In response I bought for my office a basic Keurig K-Slim so I could get decent coffee at work. Believe me, that's not exactly my cup of tea, but it will do.

View attachment 1397213

My usual at home brand of coffee is the medium roast Community Coffee breakfast blend, but I might like the GMBB pod-made coffee in the office even better. I'm very surprised.

At home I use on occasion my SS French press, but mostly I use my Bunn. Both work well. They don't make the same coffee, but both make good coffee.

None of the coffee shops make coffee I much like. I'll get a Starbuck light roast pour over if I have to. Dunkin Donuts coffee is pretty decent.

Black for me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

A few years ago, I used to have a single cup coffee maker on my desk at work. No jug, it just dripped straight into my mug. Now, I have a twin wall stainless cafetierre, and love it. I had a glass one before, and so could only use it on good health days, but a friend got me this for Christmas. This is MUCH safer for me, and now I can have a fresh coffee when my vision or coordination isn't at its best.

I have a stainless teapot too. Only single walled, but I'm not frightened of dropping it, or setting it down too heavy, etc.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
A few years ago, I used to have a single cup coffee maker on my desk at work. No jug, it just dripped straight into my mug. Now, I have a twin wall stainless cafetierre, and love it. I had a glass one before, and so could only use it on good health days, but a friend got me this for Christmas. This is MUCH safer for me, and now I can have a fresh coffee when my vision or coordination isn't at its best.

I have a stainless teapot too. Only single walled, but I'm not frightened of dropping it, or setting it down too heavy, etc.

I had to look up the word cafetière. Apparently what you have is much the same as my SS French press.

1642804646951.png

Mine looks much like the photo. (Mine is the same brand but perhaps an older version; I got mine when it was still a Kickstarter item I think.) Espro. I've been very pleased with it.

I use the French press mostly when I'm the only one home on a weekend day.

I like very strong light roast coffee.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Agreed! Rhinoceros bile for the most part.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Yeah, the Everything Else areas are where I seem to be gravitating most, lately. Pens, pipes, footwear, occasionally the foodie stuff. I'm too much of a heathen to dwell in the Cafe though.

Good to know!

Me either. Its pretty much Tim Hortons here or nothing. That stuff isnt even coffee by my definition yet cars are lined up right out of the parking lot to buy it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My Saturday shave was good.

1-22-22.MS.Beehive.2Band.Mango.Muramasa.640.JPG

This is another excellent Maseto brush. It's nominal size is 30 mm which is the same nominal size as the MS three band silvertip recently used. However, even though this is a big knot, it's not nearly as big as the knot of the three band.

This is a very soft brush with zero scritch but plenty of backbone and scrub. In a blindfolded test I doubt anyone would prefer any two band to this one. That's meant to be a very high compliment to the brush.

Today's settings were ~1.5, 5, and 1.

Shea butter last night. Cube and Tube today. Same flipped Wizamet blade.

Very good shave indeed.

MysteriumSerumBalm.Label.640.1-14-22.JPG

Excellent balm.

888.RazoRock888.480-.5-31-18.JPG

One of the best feeling aftershaves & it smells great too.

1-22-22.Muramasa.Disassembled.640.JPG

Following today's shave the razor was disassembled and cleaned with Dawn and a soft toothbrush. I'm not at all sure the razor needed that level of cleaning but I was curious as to what I'd find necessary upon taking it down.

I am exceedingly pleased with how the Muramasa shaves and the versatility it offers. Being able to adjust both the gap and the blade exposure puts it in its own league.

It doesn't have a super wide range of adjustments. However, as a practical matter for me, a daily shaver, it offers far more than might be obvious. Setting 1, the lowest setting, is useful. The very highest setting, #5, is also useful.

My skin is fairly sensitive. My whiskers are wild in their patterns and extremely wiry and tough in areas. Overall, I'd say I have an average beard, but old man whiskers.

It would be wrong to say this is like a super mild feeling and non damaging iKon Tech, but not all that wrong.

Yes, I think the handle is a bit too skinny to be my ideal handle. It's not a bad handle by any means. Not too long. Not too short. Plenty of grip. Also, the numbers are tiny. However, in real life it's very easy to figure out where you are with the adjustments once you get used to using the Muramasa. Using the razor is easy.

Today, after several previous passes of the area, I shaved my upper lip on setting #5 N-S which is kinda sorta WTG (and certainly not ATG). It was smooth with no noticeable blade feel.

1642873930180.png

I'm very impressed with how smooth and close my shaves are at settings with a negative blade exposure.

Someone did a good job engineering this one.

Happy shaves,

Jim

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I had to look up the word cafetière. Apparently what you have is much the same as my SS French press.

Yes, I believe it's the same thing, known by a different name. I live alone, so it keeps things nice and simple. If I have visitors, I just add more ground coffee to the brew, then thin it back down in the mugs, with hot water out of the kettle.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I think it’s like every other adjustable razor in existence with a fixed blade position that increases exposure in tandem with gap if the shaver uses a neutral angle. I do not believe the Muramasa changes blade exposure independently of gap.

Top Bottom