What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

I’ve goaded a helpful giant!
:lol:

TRUMPETING Soul Patch Shave Prep
(Variations on funny/weird faces to pull for shaving awkward spots.)

Pre-shave “normal” face (well, normal for me :letterk1:):
Trumpet-None_2021-06-13.jpg

Satchmo Trumpet Prep:
Trumpet-Satchmo_2021-06-13.jpg

This helps the whiskers to stand out well.

Proper Trumpet Prep:
Trumpet-Proper_2021-06-13.jpg

The whiskers now stand out nearly perpendicular to the skin, and further than in the Satchmo version. That’s the reason you don’t see them so well because they’re mostly “end on” to the camera.

FURTHER RELEVANT NOTES
There’s a LOT of my whiskers (most in fact) that don’t show in the pics. I’m one of those people who grow white whiskers* from the edges inward (there are no white hairs, only brown, on my crown).
Also, the white hairs/whiskers don’t come in nice symmetrical formations… more like random spotted cow blobs.

After yesterday’s “funny faces in the mirror” session I shaved my soul patch using “Proper Trumpet prep.” I usually always get BBS shaves so I couldn’t tell if it made any difference immediately post shave. I checked on rising this morning and there was definitely less “soul patch” stubble than normal. (So this method’s a keeper.)

A THANK YOU
Big thanks to Dave @DaveHStone for making me think about this (although I’m sure that wasn’t his intention :laugh:).

* I’m always amused at the “gray hairs (or whiskers)” description. Sure, the end effect may look gray, but I’ve yet to see anyone who has hairs other than their own natural color, and WHITE. :001_tt2:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I’m thoroughly and deeply corrected; repurposing proper brass instrument technique vindicated and now exalted for haters of that patch above the chin; and now I’m not the only one seeing a Dizzy Gillespie foible and accidentally attributing it to Louis Armstrong.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
:lol:

Pre-shave “normal” face (well, normal for me :letterk1:):
View attachment 1281298

Satchmo Trumpet Prep:
View attachment 1281299
This helps the whiskers to stand out well.

Proper Trumpet Prep:
View attachment 1281300
The whiskers now stand out nearly perpendicular to the skin, and further than in the Satchmo version. That’s the reason you don’t see them so well because they’re mostly “end on” to the camera.

FURTHER RELEVANT NOTES
There’s a LOT of my whiskers (most in fact) that don’t show in the pics. I’m one of those people who grow white whiskers* from the edges inward (there are no white hairs, only brown, on my crown).
Also, the white hairs/whiskers don’t come in nice symmetrical formations… more like random spotted cow blobs.

After yesterday’s “funny faces in the mirror” session I shaved my soul patch using “Proper Trumpet prep.” I usually always get BBS shaves so I couldn’t tell if it made any difference immediately post shave. I checked on rising this morning and there was definitely less “soul patch” stubble than normal. (So this method’s a keeper.)

A THANK YOU
Big thanks to Dave @DaveHStone for making me think about this (although I’m sure that wasn’t his intention :laugh:).

* I’m always amused at the “gray hairs (or whiskers)” description. Sure, the end effect may look gray, but I’ve yet to see anyone who has hairs other than their own natural color, and WHITE. :001_tt2:

Great illustration of how to puff up and why it works. Didn't know you have a mustache (or maybe I forgot).

1623668838781.png

As long as one has even one whisker in their beard which is their own natural (and not white) color, isn't their beard grey?

I certainly know women with what I'd think of as grey hair and men with what I'd call silver hair. I'm of course speaking of the overall color and not the color of the individual hairs.

My whiskers are now and will remain forever grey, but they're a very very light shade of grey.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Derby seems to get a lot of hate on this board. Why is that, if I may ask?

Not from me, I love them. In this.

IMG_2182.JPG

In this, I'd be a bit less enthusiastic.

1645949.jpg

Derby Extra has been a top 3 blade for me since I first used them four years ago. I think they're a great blade but they need a rigid design to get the most from. I use them for a first shave in every new DE I use. I only have one less rigid design, the R41. On my first pass, first stroke, WTG on my cheek, the blade flexed and skipped. In my Grande, Slim set to 6 or 7 and New SC they're hard to beat but they dont last long.

Maybe if Rave is really on his game he can use the blade vibrations as a musical instrument to sing with while he's shaving lol.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday's shave was experimental.

6-14-21.Bronze78.CH3.Badger.Vitos.640.JPG

I'm giving the Timeless Bronze 78 another trial run (if I can stand it). Wizamet SI on its second outing, flipped.

The razor is definitely less easy to use than the Ti 95 OC, and not as comfortable, and more efficient. The degree to which these three things are true is a question. The degree to which I can adjust my technique and better use the razor is also a question.

I'm not saying it's the most efficient of razors but it's more efficient than the 95 OC. There is some blade feel but not too much (blade feel is not a big negative for me unless...)

Maybe I can lighten the pressure enough to have all go well. We'll see.

I feel a bit razor burned (four and a half hours after a close shave).

This monster will address my soul patch. It took some work, but a lot less than with the 95 OC.

We'll see.

HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.CoconutBay.480.12-20.JPG

Really nice splash.

Oh, the CH3 in Best is probably not accurately labeled. It sure seems like Super Badger to me. I'd prefer Best. It's a huge knot! Very very soft!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Monday's shave was experimental.

View attachment 1281654

I'm giving the Timeless Bronze 78 another trial run (if I can stand it). Wizamet SI on its second outing, flipped.

The razor is definitely less easy to use than the Ti 95 OC, and not as comfortable, and more efficient. The degree to which these three things are true is a question. The degree to which I can adjust my technique and better use the razor is also a question.

I'm not saying it's the most efficient of razors but it's more efficient than the 95 OC. There is some blade feel but not too much (blade feel is not a big negative for me unless...)

Maybe I can lighten the pressure enough to have all go well. We'll see.

I feel a bit razor burned (four and a half hours after a close shave).

This monster will address my soul patch. It took some work, but a lot less than with the 95 OC.

We'll see.

View attachment 1281658

Really nice splash.

Oh, the CH3 in Best is probably not accurately labeled. It sure seems like Super Badger to me. I'd prefer Best. It's a huge knot! Very very soft!

Happy shaves,

Jim
The sheer weight of the 78 Bronze can make maintaining minimum pressure tricky , a gravity thing they tell me. I prefer it with a more sensible handle.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The sheer weight of the 78 Bronze can make maintaining minimum pressure tricky , a gravity thing they tell me. I prefer it with a more sensible handle.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Perhaps one containing helium?

I am going to continue on with the bronze handle for now (unless I chicken out). I think I can achieve a lighter touch (but maybe not).

BOSC.2.Sacrificies For Science.jpg

We'll see.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Here's to the LHF fraternity! 🍻

And a pic of my magical 14g aluminum handle by Doug @Rosseforp, just to keep me happy:
View attachment 1281690 :001_wub:,
(Just in case you'd forgotten, I LOVE PICS!)
There is a brass handle in the works at this moment, that will fit both my Karve and Fatip razors.
The blank is 14.2mm OD x 70mm long, and currently weighs in at 95 grams. Not for long, as it is in the lathe and I have my drills at the ready. Chips will fall. There is a lot of weight to remove!

I’m thoroughly and deeply corrected; repurposing proper brass instrument technique vindicated and now exalted for haters of that patch above the chin; and now I’m not the only one seeing a Dizzy Gillespie foible and accidentally attributing it to Louis Armstrong.

That's nothing, I've been shot down hard by trumpet enthusiasts both for calling it the Gillespie technique and the Satchmo technique on separate occasions. It's impossible to resist though, that nickname is just too catchy and descriptive.

I'm trying to remember who it was who said that under no circumstance should I ever call it "trumpeting". I think it was in this very thread not 3 years hence... 😄

Sadly, my wiki proposal for "Pneumatic Shaving: Advanced Techniques for a Post-BBS World" was rejected. The mods said the world wasn't ready for it yet. It's been a while though... I may have to dust off the PowerPoint deck and give it another go. :w00t:

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I'm trying to remember who it was who said that under no circumstance should I ever call it "trumpeting". I think it was in this very thread...

He probably dropped the topcap of his FaTip down the sink drain when he read that.

For providing a steady column of breath support, I’d agree with your critic. For bringing the fire of comfortable shaving down from Olympus to we mere mortals, “trumpeting” works perfectly fine for me.

He probably dropped the topcap of his FaTip down the sink drain when he read that.

For providing a steady column of breath support, I’d agree with your critic. For bringing the fire of comfortable shaving down from Olympus to we mere mortals, “trumpeting” works perfectly fine for me.

I agree with my critic as well. In fairness I was also talking about blowing out the cheeks, not just the lower lip, which is a horse of a different feather. Like Prometheus though, when I see a perfectly good poking stick... :a30:

Top Bottom