What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
:facep: My dad would have put you on jankers (he was a military bandmaster).

How to Develop the Proper Trumpet Embouchure
Yeppers, I played the Bugle in a Drum and Bugle Corp as a lad. The Garden Grove Grenadiers. Really wish I had some pictures of those days, but my parents were too busy with the band and parade preparations, and it was the 1960's, peeps weren't so camera crazy as they are today.
:sob:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Give it 20 years brother. By then it'll be all gray hair, so no one would be able to see it anyways.

That aside, what works for me is to puff my lips as if I were to blow a trumpet, then carefully buff up ATG. Using a really thin headed razor (Vector OC) really helps. I press the top cap against puffed lower lip with a considerable amount of pressure and then pull up. It's not really a buffing motion, more like a scooping motion. It's hard to explain, as with Vector's head everything is so different. I hope you get the general idea though.

Maybe @never-stop-learning can chime in on this one. David...?

Good luck!
Give it 20 years brother. By then it'll be all gray hair, so no one would be able to see it anyways.

That aside, what works for me is to puff my lips as if I were to blow a trumpet, then carefully buff up ATG. Using a really thin headed razor (Vector OC) really helps. I press the top cap against puffed lower lip with a considerable amount of pressure and then pull up. It's not really a buffing motion, more like a scooping motion. It's hard to explain, as with Vector's head everything is so different. I hope you get the general idea though.

Good luck!

The "Trumpet Technique" is one way to stretch the skin around your mouth.

Another is to use your tongue to push each area out and tighten the skin.

For the "soul patch" area under the bottom lip, you can pull your bottom lip back into your mouth between your teeth or between your tongue and upper teeth to stretch the area under the lower lip, including the "soul patch" area.

All of these techniques work. Some work better on some faces than others. :)

Hope this helps. :cool:

For the "soul patch" area under the bottom lip, you can pull your bottom lip back into your mouth between your teeth or between your tongue and upper teeth to stretch the area under the lower lip, including the "soul patch" area.

Indeed, another YMMV 😊

I use the tongue-push technique for the very corners of my mouth and the lower lip when I go XTG on it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Good luck!

Hey, I may be old but I can see gray.

I do get the general idea, I think. It's something else to try, the scooping motion, is. The Trumpet Puff is an old friend newly revisited after someone recently reminded me of it; it does help for sure.

Nick calls it the Ginger Patch Technique.

Tongue pushing has generally resulted in weepers when I've tried it, but that's not saying I've mastered the nuances.

Other stretching methods - facial contortions, bottom lip pulling - help, but they don't help enough in the soul patch area.

If I couldn't see the grey whiskers they might not bother me so much, but they stand out a bit.

Y'all's help is appreciated.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Tongue pushing has generally resulted in weepers when I've tried it, but that's not saying I've mastered the nuances.

Other stretching methods - facial contortions, bottom lip pulling - help, but they don't help enough in the soul patch area.

If I couldn't see the grey whiskers they might not bother me so much, but they stand out a bit.

After the WTG and XTG passes, the technique I usually use for the "soul patch" area is to draw my lower lip back in between my teeth and really stretch the "soul patch" area taught. Then I shave REALLY carefully ATG. ;)

Off topic:

Congrats David @never-stop-learning for becoming a Moderator! 😀

1623524344876.png

@Cal - we’re looking for the damaging, Dizzy Gillespie technique.
Say what?!
SayWhat.jpg

Proper doesn’t seem to help remove the hair betwixt lip and chin.
(Hopefully) I'll post a "proper" way tomorrow, with pics.

This is something I tried following @DaveHStone's post, Dizzy Gillespie and "proper" trumpet playing faces in the mirror, then a shave (with focus on the soul patch). The day's wait is for whisker growth (to show what I'm talking about in the photos).

:facep: My dad would have put you on jankers (he was a military bandmaster).

How to Develop the Proper Trumpet Embouchure

In 7th grade band class I wanted the trombone. Which I got -- for about a day. Our teacher decided I was better on low notes so guess which instrument that was? That's right -- tuba. I got so bored I started making animal noises through it and watched everyone trying to figure out where the sound was coming from. Also took a stab at figuring out the A & W Root Beer jingle. For those who don't know it:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sunday my shave was quite good.

6-13-21.Ti95OC.CH3.Manchurian.Vitos.640JPG.JPG

Mostly the same kit I've been using for a couple of weeks.
  • New Wizamet SI blade.
  • Different Timeless Ti handle.
  • Different water and brush.
  • Same Vitos soap.
  • Same Timeless 95 OC baseplate and cap.
  • Same post shave products.

12-20.theBeach.HyaluroicAcid.Brickell.640JPG.JPG

Mostly I was controlling the variables to see what my kit might deliver with the water I use most days.

I have no complaints so far, but my shave is only a few minutes old at the moment. Generally speaking the Timeless Ti 95 OC delivers the goods. Perhaps not at the world's highest efficiency level, but the balance of comfort and overall closeness is impressive. The jury is deliberating whether it can be mastered to a conquer the soul patch level.

I don't have illusions of a comfortable and dolphin skin smooth neck shave, but I should note I'm getting impressively close neck shaves (for my neck) with the 95 OC.

This is damn comfortable shaving kit, the Timeless Ti 95 OC. It might be the most comfortable razor I've used.

The CH3 in Manchurian is definitely one of my favorite brushes. I love the CH3 handle (far more than the CH2 handles I own). The knot is softer than my Shavemac D01 two band (which is a great great knot), but it's certainly not too soft. It has tons of the kind of backbone which comes with a very dense knot stuffed with thick Manchurian. Loads of great scrub. No downsides at all.

This was a very good shave!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom