What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Don't forget pic updates please Doug. :biggrin:
The first step was drilling out the ID with a 9/32" drill to reduce the weight from 95 grams to 70 grams. After boring the ID to 11mm it is now 41 grams. With the 3 gram stainless steel nosepiece it is less than half the original weight.
That is it for tonight.
Tomorrow I will take some more weight off by turning the OD down to 13.2mm before knurling it to 14mm, and adjusting the final length, but I don't think it will make it into the LHF zone. I figure between 30-35 grams with a length of 78mm, which is pretty light for a 14mm brass handle.
20210614_203631[1].jpg
20210614_203602[1].jpg

Not from me, I love them. In this.

View attachment 1281534

In this, I'd be a bit less enthusiastic.

View attachment 1281533

Derby Extra has been a top 3 blade for me since I first used them four years ago. I think they're a great blade but they need a rigid design to get the most from. I use them for a first shave in every new DE I use. I only have one less rigid design, the R41. On my first pass, first stroke, WTG on my cheek, the blade flexed and skipped. In my Grande, Slim set to 6 or 7 and New SC they're hard to beat but they dont last long.

Maybe if Rave is really on his game he can use the blade vibrations as a musical instrument to sing with while he's shaving lol.

So many nuances to this! That is great info, thanks! As a relative newcomer to this I haven't had an issue with them. Now to determine which I have that are rigid designs, the only one I know for sure is the Henson. Thanks again.

Edit: the razor in your first photo is a FOCS, I think? If so then I have at least two rigid designs :)

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The first step was drilling out the ID with a 9/32" drill to reduce the weight from 95 grams to 70 grams. After boring the ID to 11mm it is now 41 grams. With the 3 gram stainless steel nosepiece it is less than half the original weight.
That is it for tonight.
Tomorrow I will take some more weight off by turning the OD down to 13.2mm before knurling it to 14mm, and adjusting the final length, but I don't think it will make it into the LHF zone. I figure between 30-35 grams with a length of 78mm, which is pretty light for a 14mm brass handle.
View attachment 1281855View attachment 1281856

Do you know the ID of the hollow Fatip handles? I don't recall their weight, but it seems about right to me in terms of balance, etc.

You're doing some amazing stuff with those new tools. Thanks for sharing what you're doing. Pretty soon we'll be "virtual machinists."

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday I continued the experiment with the Bronze 78.

6-15-21.Bronze78.Shavemac.Vitos.640.JPG

It seems to be a razor worth mastering. I hope I prove worthy of it.

12-20.ClasicoBayRum.HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.640JPG.JPG

Overall, this was a good shave. Not as comfortable during the shave and immediately thereafter as I'd like. I had a couple of super bitsy tiny late weepers (not a big deal at all but not what I want). Still, it became comfortable within minutes of finishing the shave and my skin does not feel at all razor burned. I'll take that as progress.

I'd call this a very efficient razor (probably not as efficient as some), but I would not call it aggressive. I believe it can be mastered, but, as a very heavy bit of kit, and with the level of efficiency it has (etc) it's likely to be a project. I'm up for the project (so far).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Do you know the ID of the hollow Fatip handles? I don't recall their weight, but it seems about right to me in terms of balance, etc.
The Fatip handles are actually tubing with the nosepiece and end-piece pressed in, so I can only estimate the ID around 10mm without cutting one in half. My FOCS handles weigh 36 grams, and the end-piece is pretty hefty. I can always add weight to the end of my handles with bushings to adjust the balance too. In fact, I did that with my last Ti/bronze handle.
20210613_174539[1].jpg

There is a 1 gram spacer that I pressed into the end of the handle on the bottom to get the length and weight where I wanted it. The handle on top has also been lightened (but not as much) and weighs 36.5 grams.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The Fatip handles are actually tubing with the nosepiece and end-piece pressed in, so I can only estimate the ID around 10mm without cutting one in half. My FOCS handles weigh 36 grams, and the end-piece is pretty hefty. I can always add weight to the end of my handles with bushings to adjust the balance too. In fact, I did that with my last Ti/bronze handle.
View attachment 1282118
There is a 1 gram spacer that I pressed into the end of the handle on the bottom to get the length and weight where I wanted it. The handle on top has also been lightened (but not as much) and weighs 36.5 grams.

Wow! Great information and great work.

Makes me want to be an apprentice.

I wonder how thin the walls can get with some of these materials without too much sacrifice of structural strength? I'm sure that has occurred to you and is being considered.

Mühle Rocca Birch. R95.480.png

I had no idea how hollow handled Fatips were made, but it makes sense. I know some of the Mühle handles are made that way. The black handled version of the Rocca is said to be a brass tube with a SS piece on both ends. I'd assume the birch handle is much the same (and I've read the central tube is aluminum covered with birch); I have the birch handled razor in transit.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Edit: the razor in your first photo is a FOCS, I think? If so then I have at least two rigid designs

The first one is my Grande, although the FOCS is at least as rigid. Derby Blades worked really well for me in the FOCS too, but I cant get past the transition of the torqued blade, the angle change of the edge. Half of the razor is smooth, the other half feels like it scrapes more than slices.

The first one is my Grande, although the FOCS is at least as rigid. Derby Blades worked really well for me in the FOCS too, but I cant get past the transition of the torqued blade, the angle change of the edge. Half of the razor is smooth, the other half feels like it scrapes more than slices.

Thanks. Yes of course, looking at the photo again of course it isn't a slant. And FOCS is still a learning curve for me. Probably best for me to stick to the Henson and refine technique. Much appreciated.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I wonder how thin the walls can get with some of these materials without too much sacrifice of structural strength? I'm sure that has occurred to you and is being considered.
Knurling is probably the most stress a handle will encounter. After manufacturing, they are pretty stable. I have knurled aluminum handles with a wall as thin as .75mm, and the brass handle that I finished up today has a wall of .635mm with no distortion of the ID.

It actually came out much lighter than I had expected, also, and is a bona-fide LHF at 15 grams.
The Ti/Bronze handle is 18 grams.
20210615_182923[1].jpg20210615_182946[1].jpg
Not only that, but it will fit a Fatip.
20210615_185837[1].jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Knurling is probably the most stress a handle will encounter. After manufacturing, they are pretty stable. I have knurled aluminum handles with a wall as thin as .75mm, and the brass handle that I finished up today has a wall of .635mm with no distortion of the ID.

It actually came out much lighter than I had expected, also, and is a bona-fide LHF at 15 grams.
The Ti/Bronze handle is 18 grams.
View attachment 1282308View attachment 1282309
Not only that, but it will fit a Fatip.
View attachment 1282311

OMG, Doug.

Those are so beautiful.

Thanks for answering my question. I had no idea the walls could be so thin. Amazing.

In terms of working with the various metals how much easier to deal with are aluminum and brass and how do SS and titanium compare with the softer metals and each other?

In the photos above are there three different handles?

I love your your work with these handles is going.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday's shave wasn't as good as the last few shaves.

6-16-21.Bronze78.Zen.Cop.Man.Vitos.640.JPG

I'm thinking of polishing my copper handled Zenith Manchurian with Flitz to make it shiny again.

Today's shave was a disappointment. Not a bad shave, but not a shave during which it seemed like I was moving in the right direction. Yesterday I used the Equate Noxzema knock off as a preshave. Today I didn't. Maybe that was the difference.

For the record, yesterday was one of the very few times I've used the stuff as a preshave.

Today I had one little nick in the soul patch area (had to be the razor's fault) and a small cut on my neck (the fault of a small blemish) and a couple of tiny bitsy weepers. I also noticed a fair amount of blade feel (not a ton of it); definitely more than yesterday or the day before. Why the increased blade feel? I really don't know. Perhaps the blade needs to be replaced. Perhaps the lack of a preshave made a negative difference. Perhaps my technique was worse (but I doubt it).

If I'm to use this razor I've got to improve with it. A lot of improvement!

12-20.theBeach.HyaluroicAcid.Brickell.640JPG.JPG

This is such a great scent, but it doesn't cover up for the issues I had today with the Bronze 78's learning curve.

I believe I might know the answer to this question, but I also have to ask myself whether the razor might be "too aggressive" (and I don't mean too efficient).

I tend to think it's me though.​
1623850855610.png

I plan to persist.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
In the photos above are there three different handles?
Two handles in those photos, Jim.
20210616_095628[1].jpg

From left to right, Ti/Bronze handle 36.8 grams, Ti/bronze handle 17.9 grams, Ti/bronze handle 17.6 grams, SS/Brass handle 15 grams.

In terms of working with the various metals how much easier to deal with are aluminum and brass and how do SS and titanium compare with the softer metals and each other?
Brass the easiest, then aluminum, and stainless steels. Titanium takes the longest to machine, and is the most abrasive, it wears out tools the fastest. The key to working with Titanium is to work slowly and take very light cuts. Feather light cuts. Even though aluminum is lighter than titanium, our titanium chips would float on top of the coolant, while the aluminum chips would sink.
The last 10 years all I machined was Titanium and heat treated stainless steels. Some aluminum and brass, but mostly Titanium.
Had to keep a Halon Fire extinguisher next to my machine, and I had to use it a few times. I even got an award for putting out 4 different fires in the shop. Metal and oil fires are scary!!!

My Timeless Ti Slim SB just arrived. I may jump to it.
I think the handle on the left will fit nicely, Jim.
20210525_162511[1].jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Two handles in those photos, Jim.
View attachment 1282554
From left to right, Ti/Bronze handle 36.8 grams, Ti/bronze handle 17.9 grams, Ti/bronze handle 17.6 grams, SS/Brass handle 15 grams.

Brass the easiest, then aluminum, and stainless steels. Titanium takes the longest to machine, and is the most abrasive, it wears out tools the fastest. The key to working with Titanium is to work slowly and take very light cuts. Feather light cuts. Even though aluminum is lighter than titanium, our titanium chips would float on top of the coolant, while the aluminum chips would sink.
The last 10 years all I machined was Titanium and heat treated stainless steels. Some aluminum and brass, but mostly Titanium.
Had to keep a Halon Fire extinguisher next to my machine, and I had to use it a few times. I even got an award for putting out 4 different fires in the shop. Metal and oil fires are scary!!!

I think the handle on the left will fit nicely, Jim.
View attachment 1282556

I bet you're right.

I do have the entire Ti 05 OC razor so I have a cap and handle in Timeless Ti.

I have plans for the aluminum handle (the Yuma has it right now).

Thanks for the answers, pictures, and information, and everything else.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday began a new experiment. First shave with the Timeless Ti Slim SB which arrived yesterday.

6-17-21.TimelessSlim.Mistura.Vitos.640.JPG

⬆ Timeless Ti Slim SB ⬆ loaded with a Wizamet SI (flipped, not a new blade). Good shave. Smooth feeling on my skin. No blood. Very little blade feel if any.

Certainly this is a pretty efficient razor. Is it efficient enough for me to love and see as "The One?" I have no idea yet, but considering that it is smooth feeing and pretty efficient it would be hard for me to dislike or not persist with.

This Ti Slim SB does not feel "aggressive" to me. Not at all.

Obviously one shave means little but I had an enjoyable first experience with the new Slim. I like the Slim SB better I think than I did the Slim OC (which I used eight times).

I suspect there's a learning curve for me to climb in terms of getting the very best out of the Slim, but it looks like it'll be an easy, smooth, safe climb. We'll see.

Beach (PAA) and Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

My post shave products today. Great stuff in all respects.​
12-13-20.BrickellFaceMoisturizer.640.Front..JPG

Great brush today. The Mistura performs extremely well in all respects. It's a great knot. It's a great handle.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thursday began a new experiment. First shave with the Timeless Ti Slim SB which arrived yesterday.

View attachment 1282885

⬆ Timeless Ti Slim SB ⬆ loaded with a Wizamet SI (flipped, not a new blade). Good shave. Smooth feeling on my skin. No blood. Very little blade feel if any.

Certainly this is a pretty efficient razor. Is it efficient enough for me to love and see as "The One?" I have no idea yet, but considering that it is smooth feeing and pretty efficient it would be hard for me to dislike or not persist with.

This Ti Slim SB does not feel "aggressive" to me. Not at all.

Obviously one shave means little but I had an enjoyable first experience with the new Slim. I like the Slim SB better I think than I did the Slim OC (which I used eight times).

I suspect there's a learning curve for me to climb in terms of getting the very best out of the Slim, but it looks like it'll be an easy, smooth, safe climb. We'll see.

View attachment 1282889
My post shave products today. Great stuff in all respects.​

Great brush today. The Mistura performs extremely well in all respects. It's a great knot. It's a great handle.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Looking forward to your expanded comments. :)

Top Bottom