What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Never heard that, my son plays the clarinet, but has no desire to try a sax.

Both beautiful instruments but you can't play this on the sax.

Sublime. When Schubert was on his death bed at the tragically early age of 31 he's supposed to have said he wished he'd composed this.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday starts the week off right.

11-30-20.Executive#5.Chubby2Best.Vitos.640JPG.JPG

Executive adjusted again to #5. Why change the adjustment, right, unless there's a compelling reason, which there is not.

Wizamet SI, flipped. Excellent brush and soap.

I'm on a Pineapple Bay Rum kick.​
10-27-20.Cremo.HyaluronicAcid.PineappleBayRum.640.JPG

Very nice shave in all respects.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Just seen this at Connaught.

View attachment 1188781
Prefer the Chrome one to be honest. Actually prefer matt over a shiny finish on most things.

My FOCS arrived on Friday and had two shaves with it so far, using the Polsilver blade that was in the Gillette Rocket.
Very nice shave I must say, similar to the Rocket - perhaps a slightly closer shave. Still have to get the hang of the angles, but the second shave was less irritable than the first.

Ordered a small amount of Polsilvers at a reasonable price and also a large (250) amount of Wizamet SI's to keep me going.
Also bought an Ikon X3 Slant head which I'll mate up with the handle from my Feather AS-D2 when it arrives.

Not going to give up on my Straights and Injectors. Just nice to have a few more options.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Prefer the Chrome one to be honest. Actually prefer matt over a shiny finish on most things.

My FOCS arrived on Friday and had two shaves with it so far, using the Polsilver blade that was in the Gillette Rocket.
Very nice shave I must say, similar to the Rocket - perhaps a slightly closer shave. Still have to get the hang of the angles, but the second shave was less irritable than the first.

Ordered a small amount of Polsilvers at a reasonable price and also a large (250) amount of Wizamet SI's to keep me going.
Also bought an Ikon X3 Slant head which I'll mate up with the handle from my Feather AS-D2 when it arrives.

Not going to give up on my Straights and Injectors. Just nice to have a few more options.

The iKon X3 is an interesting razor. I like mine a lot better than I used to. For a few shaves I used a Wunderbar which a member was nice enough to lend me. Climbing its learning curve probably helped me with the X3.

I'll be very interested in whether you agree with me about Polsilver SI blades and Wizamet SI blades being identical twins beyond the packaging.

I would never have thought I'd be at all interested in the gold razors but I like my gold Gillette Executive (Fatboy). Nickel is nice.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday's shave continued the experiment.

12-1-20.Executive.DH2-Silvertip.Vitos.640.JPG

Executive #5
Wizamet SI, Flipped
Vitos Red
Chubby 2 in Silvertip Badger

Hyaluronic Acid
Cremo Face Moisturizer
Caribbean Holiday After Shaving Splash​
CaribbeanHoliday (splash).640.11-20.JPG

This splash could be named Caribbean Vanilla.

Really good shave.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

What would be considered a reasonable price? I am interested in the Wizamet SI's as well.
Just went for the cheapest I could find on Ebay. I'm from UK so the price I paid might not be so relevant to gents from the US.
Paid less than £40 for 250 Wizamet SI's.
Still expensive compared to other blades, but worth it to me if they are at least as good as the Polsilvers.

Only other thing to watch for is fakes. Read somewhere that there were fakes of these blades kicking around some years ago. Checked out the vendor I bought mine from and he seems legit enough.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday the experiment continued.

Executive on #5

Flipped Wizamet SI

Mistura
Vitos Red​
11-2-20.Executive#5.SOC-Mistura.Vitos.640.JPG
10-27-20.Cremo.HyaluronicAcid.PineappleBayRum.640.JPG

⬅ Usual Suspects​

A couple of minor nicks today unfortunately. One was an errant move by me causing a corner to bite me. The other on my chin was not noticed in real time and came from where and what? Neither amounted to much, but I hit 'em both with the styptic pencil and continued on.

Did two passes (more or less). Two lathered passes. A bit more on my lips.

The Mistura is a great knot. Great handle to for that matter. Great brush. Wish it were 26 mm.

Now that I've firmly established what adjustment #5 on the Executive is like for me, I'm going to mess around with #4 and #6 to see if either is better. My guess is #5 is the sweet spot for most of my shaves, but only experiments take one beyond guesses.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday. The experiment continues.

Gillette Executive.
Adjustment #4

Wizamet SI. Flipped.

Rudy Vey Irish Bog Oak.
Shavemac 25 mm 2 Band.

Vitos Red.​
12-3-20.Executive-#4.RV-IBO.Vitos.640JPG.JPG
Sandalwood.PAA.Cremo.HyaluronicAcid.640.JPG

New Splash.​

The Executive on #4 is good, for me, but #5 is better I think. However, this was a relative quick, by design, just N-S + extra work around my mouth.

The new splash is okay, but not wonderful. Still, it will have its place.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Thursday. The experiment continues.

Gillette Executive.
Adjustment #4

Wizamet SI. Flipped.

Rudy Vey Irish Bog Oak.
Shavemac 25 mm 2 Band.

Vitos Red.​
View attachment 1189887
View attachment 1189888
New Splash.​

The Executive on #4 is good, for me, but #5 is better I think. However, this was a relative quick, by design, just N-S + extra work around my mouth.

The new splash is okay, but not wonderful. Still, it will have its place.

Happy shaves,

Jim
So, how does it compare to Atomic bay Rum?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Last nights shave.

Slim on #4/Fresh Feather.

Southern Witchcrafts.

Maggard synthetic.

Four passes!

No issues during the shave, other than the frustration in needing two ATG passes and still coming out of it with a 'barely BBS' finish.

A very smooth, very mild and very gentle shave. Despite the frantic buffing the last two passes. It wasnt difficult finding the angle either. It wouldnt cut, then it sort of cut, then it cut as well as it could. Maintaining the angle was easy but BBS'ing my jawline both sides and L>R and R>L on my neck was a chore.

Mild razors are just that mild.

The Slim is far more efficient on the higher settings but the increased gap makes me pay a price higher than I'm willing to pay. My Grande and GEM's are far more efficient and just as smooth and comfortable.

Top Bottom