What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Theres a boatload of info in this thread on Schick injectors....somewhere. Joel @Johnnynroy is somewhat an expert on them I believe, as well as Jim.

The easy way as I gather it, E Type. No, not this E Type...
ON-CX282_etype_G_20190311124711.jpg

This E Type.
schick-type-vintage-injector-safety_1_c5c5ff66e226bde15a69115e23779644.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Mike, I am just now starting to look at these razors, and find them quite interesting. I have been thinking of adding an Old Type to my collection, but right now my "Buy it now" finger is
hovering over a few user grade MMOC's, Bullet Tip's, and a Schick injector.
Then there is the issue of blades............:facep:

Which Schick injector?

I know about some of them. Joel @Johnnynroy knows about others.

When buying injectors on eBay I do one of two things.
  • Make sure the seller says it's in mechanically good shape.
  • Make sure the seller takes returns and gives refunds.
If you have either of these you're covered if there's a problem. I buy only injectors which look to be very very nice.

Also, I try to learn about the model I'm buying. There are very good examples of all the injectors so no reason to get a crummy one. Also, prices vary and there are good deals so be careful and patient.

Blades? Either the Schick Chicks (regular Schick on Amazon, cheap) or the TWIN blades from Japan (sometimes sold on eBay; do some B&B homework on the injector TWIN; only a few injectors will take the TWIN). The S Chicks are plenty good blades.

I have the E-2, the Type L (the tennis racket version), the Type O, several type M razors, and the ebarbershop Type O clone. The E-2 only takes the Chicks, and not the TWIN, but it's my favorite of the bunch. I've had some others but they're gone. The L is also great.

Joel's opinions are different.

Some guys like the Proline blades (and I've not tried the injector version of the Proline).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Theres a boatload of info in this thread on Schick injectors....somewhere.

One can search this thread. Or, all of B&B.

One of my tricks is to search for this: Badger and Blade: then whatever I'm looking for. On Google I mean. Oftentimes I get more specific good stuff that way.

Mike has been appointed to make an index of this thread. Don't ask me who appointed him because in spite of rumors to that effect everything is not Cal's fault. Sometimes Rave did it.

Oops.

@Rosseforp

I would suggest 2 based on my 3 injector razors usage to get. An E2 and a Schick Adjustable.

If you use an Schick Adjustable, you will ask yourself why do you struggle shaving with other razors. It is that easy with this razor, well at least for me.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Which Schick injector?

I know about some of them. Joel @Johnnynroy knows about others.

When buying injectors on eBay I do one of two things.
  • Make sure the seller says it's in mechanically good shape.
  • Make sure the seller takes returns and gives refunds.
If you have either of these you're covered if there's a problem. I buy only injectors which look to be very very nice.

Also, I try to learn about the model I'm buying. There are very good examples of all the injectors so no reason to get a crummy one. Also, prices vary and there are good deals so be careful and patient.
Something like this one. Vintage SCHICK Injector TYPE E Single Edge Safety Razor | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SCHICK-Injector-TYPE-E-Single-Edge-Safety-Razor/143577343065

It have no idea if that is a good deal or crummy, but it certainly won't break the bank at that price.

My Dad always used a TTO Gillette, I assume it was a Super Speed. He gave me one when I first started shaving, but I switched to a Trac II, then electric. Never tried an injector..........
I have only just started looking at Schick Injector razors, and I am sure I will want to try one in the future. Can you fill me in on what the letters mean, I saw something that said they had to do with how aggressive they are.

I see a lot of G razors out there...... and some M's, they were adjustables.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Something like this one. Vintage SCHICK Injector TYPE E Single Edge Safety Razor | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SCHICK-Injector-TYPE-E-Single-Edge-Safety-Razor/143577343065

It have no idea if that is a good deal or crummy, but it certainly won't break the bank at that price.

My Dad always used a TTO Gillette, I assume it was a Super Speed. He gave me one when I first started shaving, but I switched to a Trac II, then electric. Never tried an injector..........
I have only just started looking at Schick Injector razors, and I am sure I will want to try one in the future. Can you fill me in on what the letters mean, I saw something that said they had to do with how aggressive they are.

I see a lot of G razors out there...... and some M's, they were adjustables.

People say the earlier razors are "more aggressive" and the later models are "milder."

I've used, enough to know what I think of them, the E, L, M, & O types. I don't think any of these are more prone to bite or harsher or less prone to bite or milder. The E might be a little more efficient, but it's not all that significantly so in my experience as compared to the O (or to the ebarbershop Type O clone).

Note that I use all safety razors at pretty steep angles which may matter.

I do not have a bunch of experience with a number of razors within the various categories. In other words, I've only used one Type E2 open to clean; I've used it a lot, but I've not used two of 'em.
Some gentlemen who've used several razors within a category (for instance they've used a number of Type E2 razors) say the razors vary within the categories meaning my Type E2 and your Type E2 might behave differently.

vendor's Type E.jpg

I would certain consider buying the Type E (see below) mentioned above were I in the market. Note that it is not an open to clean E2. I'm not sure that matters to most users. I think it only matters to people who want to play around with various blades. I've opened mine to clean it once or twice and I can tell you trying to correctly, accurately, and safely put a blade in it while it's open and keep the blade in position, undamaged, while closing it is no easy feat.

I'm not saying to buy this example as I've not looked around to see what else is available, but this one is returnable and not spendy. Plus, the handle is really pretty. If it shaves like my E2 somebody's going to buy and like it.

I can't see aspects of this razor well enough for me to be sure it is a Type E. I think it is, but I'm not 100%. Were I fixing to pull the trigger I'd ask the vendor for clear pictures of the numbers if I wanted to avoid a Type G (look for posts by Joel @Johnnynroy explaining why).

1587560423593.png

This one ^ is an E2. Not sure it's one I'd buy, but it's worth a glance.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
We have just the stuff to break up a good strike...

1587588897864.png

Speaking of which I was on strike today and not planning to shave, but I felt like I needed a shower and a shave late this afternoon.

4-22-20.ZenSilvertip.Vitos.FatipOCS.640.JPG

I'd used the clippers and scissors on the back of my head, outside on the front (really the side) porch. Probably got a bit warm and prickly from the little hairs. Anyway, a shower and shave delighted me.

HyaluronicAcidForFaces.480.jpg

May pick a splash. Maybe not. We'll see.

Happy shaves, er, happy strikes,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Note that I use all safety razors at pretty steep angles which may matter.

I do not have a bunch of experience with a number of razors within the various categories. In other words, I've only used one Type E2 open to clean; I've used it a lot, but I've not used two of 'em.
Some gentlemen who've used several razors within a category (for instance they've used a number of Type E2 razors) say the razors vary within the categories meaning my Type E2 and your Type E2 might behave differently.

vendor's Type E.jpg's Type E.jpg

I would certain consider buying the Type E (see below) mentioned above were I in the market. Note that it is not an open to clean E2. I'm not sure that matters to most users. I think it only matters to people who want to play around with various blades. I've opened mine to clean it once or twice and I can tell you trying to correctly, accurately, and safely put a blade in it while it's open and keep the blade in position, undamaged, while closing it is no easy feat.

I'm not saying to buy this example as I've not looked around to see what else is available, but this one is returnable and not spendy. Plus, the handle is really pretty. If it shaves like my E2 somebody's going to buy and like it.
I found a chart on Schick injector razors that only mentions the handle being different, the E model is Bakelite and the G model is plastic with a visible parting line.
I have no idea what the numbers mean, but the handle does look pretty, and I have seen others at twice the price as this one that look pretty crummy.
I also saw a pair of M adjustables for around $22. I'm not a big fan of adjustables, but I do have a Slim.

Just in case a Model E does show up on Monday, these should be here Saturday........Schick.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I found a chart on Schick injector razors that only mentions the handle being different, the E model is Bakelite and the G model is plastic with a visible parting line.
I have no idea what the numbers mean, but the handle does look pretty, and I have seen others at twice the price as this one that look pretty crummy.
I also saw a pair of M adjustables for around $22. I'm not a big fan of adjustables, but I do have a Slim.

Just in case a Model E does show up on Monday, these should be here Saturday........View attachment 1091173

I don't know what the numbers mean either. I do know that the numbers on the Type E and the numbers on the Type G follow different patterns. I've forgotten the fine points of the matter, but the information is out there. I'm just not interested in buying more injectors.

M3.Protector.M1.Top.Whole.640.JPGM3Protector.Clear.MightyMidgetBoar.640.jpg

The Type M models are good razors. I have several including the model - the Protector, shown in the thumbnail on the right and also on the left in the photo of the left, with the sliding blade cover which protects the blade during travel; in my opinion it adds weight which throws off the balance of the razor. Nothing against the Type M razors as a group. The way I use them - very steep - the adjustment, which increases and decreases the gap, doesn't much matter.

When yours arrives soak it in Dawn or something similar and take a soft old toothbrush to it. If you have Barbicide maybe soak the head (not necessary to do this in my opinion, but I still do it). Or, maybe alcohol. Get it clean. Then, examine it very closely for any mechanical damage.

What if it has a blade in it?

You can remove the old blade for cleaning or not. Just know that if you put a new blade into an injector which is empty that new blade will be damaged. In other words, you must eject an old blade (or a blank) to avoid damaging the blade you will shave with. Do not ignore this!

You only sacrifice one blade, but that's better than trying to use a damaged blade and there's no way to not damage the blade (unless there's a blade already there to eject).

Learning Curve.640.jpg

There is a learning curve with the injectors. It revolves around finding the right angle. I'd suggest "just shaving" intuitively and letting the razor teach you by its feedback (audible and tactile). Forget about shallow and steep and feel your way along with the injector.

My E2 is very much prone to not biting me, but not all Type E injectors are as forgiving (or so I hear).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
The Type M models are good razors. I have several including the model - the Protector, shown in the thumbnail on the right and also on the left in the photo of the left, with the sliding blade cover which protects the blade during travel; in my opinion it adds weight which throws off the balance of the razor. Nothing against the Type M razors as a group. The way I use them - very steep - the adjustment, which increases and decreases the gap, doesn't much matter.

When yours arrives soak it in Dawn or something similar and take a soft old toothbrush to it. If you have Barbicide maybe soak the head (not necessary to do this in my opinion, but I still do it). Or, maybe alcohol. Get it clean. Then, examine it very closely for any mechanical damage.

What if it has a blade in it?

You can remove the old blade for cleaning or not. Just know that if you put a new blade into an injector which is empty that new blade will be damaged. In other words, you must eject an old blade (or a blank) to avoid damaging the blade you will shave with. Do not ignore this!

You only sacrifice one blade, but that's better than trying to use a damaged blade and there's no way to not damage the blade (unless there's a blade already there to eject).
Now I understand why so many injectors I have looked at have an old blade installed. That is a good piece of information there, Jim. Could an old P-30 blade be used to open the mechanism, and avoid damaging a new P-20?

My Dad gave me a DE when I started shaving, but I have never used or even held an injector razor, so this will be a new adventure.
This might be the one and only injector that I get, but I doubt that.
enablersrus.png
For some strange reason..........

I'm sure I will have more questions to ask when I actually have one in my hands. I have my Dawn and soaking container ready.
HereKittyKitty.jpg
BOSC R US.png

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Now I understand why so many injectors I have looked at have an old blade installed. That is a good piece of information there, Jim. Could an old P-30 blade be used to open the mechanism, and avoid damaging a new P-20?

My Dad gave me a DE when I started shaving, but I have never used or even held an injector razor, so this will be a new adventure.
This might be the one and only injector that I get, but I doubt that.
View attachment 1091274
For some strange reason..........

I'm sure I will have more questions to ask when I actually have one in my hands. I have my Dawn and soaking container ready.
View attachment 1091284
View attachment 1091275

I've purchased a good many injector razors. Almost all had an old blade installed.

You could maybe install an old blade, but don't ruin the razor trying to install an AC blade. If there's not an installed blade just sacrifice one new blade.

I can shave with a Schick Chick for many many shaves. I'm not sure how many but at least thirty or more. It's not like the blades are expensive.

I also have a blank or two (from ebarbershop Type O clone razors bought new). I could easily enough install a blank into an injector gizmo and inject it into a razor lacking a blade and then replace the blank with an actual blade. I'm unlikely to do that as it's just easy and cheap to sacrifice a blade.

The razor can be damaged. Don't attempt to bypass the need for the injector.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I can shave with a Schick Chick for many many shaves. I'm not sure how many but at least thirty or more. It's not like the blades are expensive.

I also have a blank or two (from ebarbershop Type O clone razors bought new). I could easily enough install a blank into an injector gizmo and inject it into a razor lacking a blade and then replace the blank with an actual blade. I'm unlikely to do that as it's just easy and cheap to sacrifice a blade.

The razor can be damaged. Don't attempt to bypass the need for the injector.
Yes, at 30-50 shaves per blade, they are cheap and available. I will probably spend a good amount of time looking at the razor before using it, as I have some other razors and blades I want to try when my Fixed Four is over.

As in I really want to try the SupeMax BD(15) that is in my GC84 in my Fatip for a back-to-back comparison. I found some Polsilvers in my mailbox that I want to try also.
Interesting enough, our community mailbox was broken into the next day. I'm not sure if the thief was looking for stimulus checks or a nice shave. On the way to the US Post Office to pick up some bills the thief mistakenly left behind, I saw this building just down the street.
20200424_092734[1].jpg20200424_092836[1].jpg

I didn't check to see if they have a showroom, but I am pretty sure they have some brushes in there.

I also want to see how my English Tech with a shim compares to my GC84, I suspect it will be very close.
My first tech was made during the Korean Conflict and has a steel baseplate, and an .018" gap. The ET has a .026" and at the time I wasn't ready for an aggressive razor, and it has sulked in the corner too long.

With a shim the gap is almost the same as the GC84, and, and, and, it has the blade tabs exposed!!!!!!!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday my shave was good.

4-24-20.MixedMidget.FOCS.Vitos.640.JPG

A bit prickly this is still a lather monster brush tiny as it is. I think it my smallest brush. I'd like to see it pictured next to a Wee Scot. I'd also like to know what kind of badger it contains. I've read that it's "gray badger," and I've read that gray badger is a step down from black badger, both being pure badger which is a step down from best badger.

Not sure that's right of course.

Anyway, it's a pretty great latherer, but not a brush I'd use every day. I'm actually surprised how often I use the Mixed Midget.

The FOCS is an excellent razor! Vitos Red is an excellent soap.

Beach (PAA) and Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

Yummy stuff.

Happy shaves,

Jim

A bit prickly this is still a lather monster brush tiny as it is. I think it my smallest brush. I'd like to see it pictured next to a Wee Scot.
Here's an old pic, Jim. Not exactly "next to" but I'll do a "next to" pic with just the Wee Scot and the Mixed Midget tomorrow if you like. Let me know.
MaggardTT+Friends.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Here's an old pic, Jim. Not exactly "next to" but I'll do a "next to" pic with just the Wee Scot and the Mixed Midget tomorrow if you like. Let me know.

I'd like a side by side, Cal, if it's not a bother. You really like your wee knots! Do you use the Wee Scot much? Why or why not?

I prefer the big knots, but that doesn't mean the tiny brushes aren't appreciated too.

1587771292141.png

The photo ^ is very nicely done. It really shows off your yellow beauty.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom