What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
What an honor to have someone wade through all of our posts and adventures. I know when I read back through it, which I do on occasion, I learn things, but it is so great to realize it is actually helping someone else.

To have someone read fifty pages of this thread and then decide to place their first ever post here is quite a gesture. Thanks so much.

The most impressive thing though is the quality of this first post. It is so cool to have someone understand the bottom line of so many things we've struggled with (well, I've struggled with so many things if nobody else has).

I hope the rest of the thread is also helpful and beneficial and interesting.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Wow, I'm on page 95!

Jim, going back and reading this particular section, I realized I am only at the Jr. ВОƧС level. I only have 3 1/2 Fatip's, a Piccolo SE, Mk1, and a Schöne. I just realized I NEED want a Grande, not just any Grande, I want need one with the straight flutes. My Schöne has the spiral flutes already. Of course, a Lo Storto is not out of the question, but I am still exploring SE razors, and I'm not ready for a Slant just yet. When I get my SE1 figured out, I'm gonna start looking for an MMOC.

I haven't bought any razors since I got my SE1, wait, I did get another New SC, to replace the one I gave to a co-worker. I should have kept the first NSC, it was given to me by a fellow B&B'er and had the desirable SC cap, but I hadn't picked it up once I got my Piccolo, and never thought I would use it again.

Definitely not thinking like a true full fledged member of the BOSC community.

I think, however, I am getting back on track. I am sticking with this Fixed Four, even though I broke a rule. I wasn't familiar with the blade that I chose, and I am paying the price. It might be a great blade in my Piccolo, I haven't tried it in my Piccolo. But my Piccolo isn't part of my Fixed Four, My GC84-P is. As it the SuperMax BD.
blue diamond.jpg

I'm over 2/3's of the way through, I'm still learning things. Like how to use a razor for a month with a blade you don't like. It is a popular blade, I'm sure it is a great blade, but it isn't working for me with this razor. But I am committed, I am gonna stick it out. The I am gonna try another blade without changing anything else.....
BOSC Motto.jpg
But I digress, I'm now officially on the hunt for a razor that uses a Gem style blade. I don't really know which one would be a good choice. I have only looked at some pictures. I hadn't thought of using one before. Or an Injector. Now I also want an Injector style razor. And a Grande, with Straight Flutes. I don't need any more Straight razors, I already have 10. That isn't too many SR's I don't believe. I haven't used one of my SR's in a few months, but I am getting one ready............
GoldDollar.jpg

Just thought I'd let ya know, there really is lots of good information in here!!!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
But I digress, I'm now officially on the hunt for a razor that uses a Gem style blade. I don't really know which one would be a good choice.

The best one is two. A Bullet Tip and an MMOC. They complement each other so well they should have been sold in sets. Although, it has been brought to attention multiple times, a Clug Pruf might fit right between them. It can be difficult telling a Clog Pruf from an MMOC. The main difference is, the Clog Pruf has them, the MMOC does not.

Clog Pruf.

ClogPruf.jpg

MMOC.

Screenshot_2020-04-17 NWdGzKkYMA_800x jpg (WEBP Image, 640 × 640 pixels).png

There are also bumpless versions of the MMOC. The one above has bumps as does my own.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
The best one is two. A Bullet Tip and an MMOC. They complement each other so well they should have been sold in sets.
My initial thoughts are toward an MMOC. There seem to be many versions of the MMOC, I would have-to-have need want at least two. Then there is something called a 1912 that seems to get a lot of mention. Bullet Tips also seem to have a variety of cap styles, I would need want to look at a few different of those styles.....
BOSC Motto.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My initial thoughts are toward an MMOC. There seem to be many versions of the MMOC, I would have-to-have need want at least two. Then there is something called a 1912 that seems to get a lot of mention. Bullet Tips also seem to have a variety of cap styles, I would need want to look at a few different of those styles.....
View attachment 1088055

As far as I know there are two versions of the MMOC. Bumpless and with bumps.

There is only one version of the Bullet Tip I'm aware of.

@jmudrick and @rabidus might be able to set the record straight on that. They know far more than I do.

@jmudrick and @rabidus might be able to set the record straight on that. They know far more than I do.
There are Bullet Tip variants, seeing eye, non seeing eye, nickel, chrome, plastic tip. I'm not aware of anyone measuring to see if there were any changes to the geometry among the variants.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents

I have intentionally tried to avoid this particular rabbit hole, so my knowledge of Gem razors is strictly related to looking at pictures at this point.
Gem.png
BrassGEM21912&JuniorCapJPG.JPG
I have no idea even where to start, right now I'm looking for a rope..............
WhatRabbit.png

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wow, I'm on page 95!

Just thought I'd let ya know, there really is lots of good information in here!!!

Take your pick.
  • Good information.
  • Bad information.
  • Truly crazy information.
  • BOSC information.
  • Information overload.
  • All of the above.
I have a few of the GEM ER razors but I am no kind of expert on them. I've used one of them once and wasn't terribly impressed; obviously that was a very inadequate trial.

Fortunately Mike is an expert with the GEM ER platform.

Injectors are the bee's knees at least the good ones are.

Don't worry that you're "not ready" for a slant. The Fatip Open Comb slant is extremely easy to use and is a great razor. It's right up there with my Mk1 Grande for the Fatip Favorite. Actually, it is probably now my favorite Fatip. Really great razor. Thing about a good slant is this: It's easy as pie once you forget it's a slant and just shave normally with it.

I'm very happy to hear about anyone other than me actually reading this thread. I suspect being truly BOSC is defined more by doing things like reading Damn Comfortable Shave and less by what you purchase.

Is there a Fatip OC slant available for purchase anywhere in the world? Trying to answer that question might get you an in with Big Nurse and her minions.

1587155161284.png

Hey, I just completed a successful DIY haircut...that's huge for me. Big Nurse is trying to take my scissors away, so help me hide.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm not aware of anyone measuring to see if there were any changes to the geometry among the variants.

Thats what I was getting at, yeah. Plating differences aside, I think all GEM Bullet Tip razors are the same.

I'm not sure how much difference the bumps in an MMOC make either and less sure I could feel that difference.

I have no idea even where to start, right now I'm looking for a rope..............

Start with a basic, typical example of a Bullet Tip. It might even cost less than the rope you might look for later haha.

vintage-gem-micromatic-bullet-tip_1_a87e50e20b4e3d3aa23b6eb4889c74b1.jpg

Load it with a PTFE blade, use it just slightly steeper than the design angle so that cap doesnt vacuum lock to your skin haha, and enjoy.

I really like mine. Its as efficient as my Grande yet smoother and is more gentle on my skin. Its an underrated razor.

One thing to keep in mind about GEM razors, no matter the type, is, if you think you might want to have one replated down the road, no one I'm aware of will strip the Chrome finish from one. So if theres a chance you might want one replated, look for gold ones. As far as I know there were only two choices in plating, Chrome and Gold. I dont think any were Nickel plated.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thats what I was getting at, yeah. Plating differences aside, I think all GEM Bullet Tip razors are the same.

I'm not sure how much difference the bumps in an MMOC make either and less sure I could feel that difference.

Start with a basic, typical example of a Bullet Tip. It might even cost less than the rope you might look for later haha.

View attachment 1088372

Load it with a PTFE blade, use it just slightly steeper than the design angle so that cap doesnt vacuum lock to your skin haha, and enjoy.

I really like mine. Its as efficient as my Grande yet smoother and is more gentle on my skin. Its an underrated razor.

One thing to keep in mind about GEM razors, no matter the type, is, if you think you might want to have one replated down the road, no one I'm aware of will strip the Chrome finish from one. So if theres a chance you might want one replated, look for gold ones. As far as I know there were only two choices in plating, Chrome and Gold. I dont think any were Nickel plated.

MMOC.open.handle.shiny.640.JPG

All the gold colored GEM and ER razors I have are actually brass. They polish up well. Plus, polishing them by hand with a microfiber cloth and a little Flitz is satisfying, easy, and fun.

Doesn't get much prettier than that.

Need more on this MMOC?
Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
View attachment 1088403

All the gold colored GEM and ER razors I have are actually brass. They polish up well. Plus, polishing them by hand with a microfiber cloth and a little Flitz is satisfying, easy, and fun.

Doesn't get much prettier than that.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Yes Jim, this is the razor that got my attention. I want one just like this one. I won't even need a blade, I just want to look at it sitting on my desk...........

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Adverts for the non seeing eye version in '49 describe it as "newly adjusted" Your guess good as mine as to what that means.

proxy.php

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Another Saturday shave...

4-18-20.Steve'sVulfix.MdC.FatipOC.Slant.640.JPG

I'm still test driving this borrowed brush; very interesting brush that it is. It was shedding a lot, but perhaps I've succeeded in combing out the loose hairs. I'm not sure of that yet, but I didn't notice any today whereas I have noticed many.

The knot is huge. I mean huge even by my standards. It's a top quality silvertip, but it's nowhere near as soft as I expected it to be. That's not to say it's scritchy or anything objectionable like that. It's not dense, but it has decent enough scrub. It splays very easily.

The handle is huge and certainly heavy although the heavy handle does not make the brush feel unbalanced in its weight distribution.

Of interest to me today was something I noticed for the first time with any brush. It took more than just a wave in the general direction of the puck of MdC to load the brush sufficiently. No, not ten swirls but not three either. Don't know what that means. I'm not being critical of the brush - perhaps it's the hugeness of its knot - but it was my least easy and slowest loading and lathering experience with MdC. That's not to say it was a problem, just a curiosity, just an observation.

In case you don't know the brush, it's the Vulfix 2236 Silvertip Badger. The Vulflix silvertip is, according to Jarrod at Superior Shave, identical to Simpson Super Badger.

I don't know the Simpson Super Badger (never used a Simpson brush) but I would have guessed it to be quite a bit softer than it turns out to be. Again, not saying the brush should be softer to be acceptable, but it's not in the league of softness of some of my silvertips.

I measured the knot: It's ~29 mm at the base. The loft is ~56 mm.

Fatip Open Comb Slant?

Oh, my what a nice razor!

Beach (PAA) and Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

Happy shaves,

Jim

I wonder if the blade stop locations changed slightly.
As the Feather Weight introduction was only months away , if there were changes a safe bet is that it moved things in the milder is better direction.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
As the Feather Weight introduction was only months away , if there were changes a safe bet is that it moved things in the milder is better direction.

Making them a bit shallower to limit blade exposure, even only slightly, would be an easy change that would make a dramatic difference.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Nice, but hurried shave. I screwed up my time management.

4-20-20.FatipOCS.Vitors.Evo.640JPG.JPG

Perfect time for this good kit. I like this brush; is it a silvertip?

Beach (PAA) and Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

Good stuff all around.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Another Tuesday shave.

4-21-20.APShaveGelousy.FatipOCS.Vitos.640.JPG

These Gelousy brushes are super soft and super dense. They're so soft that one feels the overall scrub, but nothing of the actual hairs. I prefer some of what I call good scritch along with the scrub, but these are still good brushes. I kinda wish I'd acquired the 22 mm instead of the 28 mm. You know me. I like large knots, but still knot is subjectively much much larger than it measures. Of course, 22 mm might seem too small, but for anyone wanting "medium sized" or medium large I think 22 mm would be right. I'm talking here fans of extreme softness of course.

3-12-20.BayRum & Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

Yummy shave. Yummy scent.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents

vintage-gem-micromatic-bullet-tip_1_a87e50e20b4e3d3aa23b6eb4889c74b1.jpg

Mike, I am just now starting to look at these razors, and find them quite interesting. I have been thinking of adding an Old Type to my collection, but right now my "Buy it now" finger is
hovering over a few user grade MMOC's, Bullet Tip's, and a Schick injector.
Then there is the issue of blades............:facep:

Top Bottom