What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday's shave was lovely.

2-7-20.Bismarck.Kit.ABC.Z-Horse.640JPG.JPG

What a lovely edge this Bismarck has (and honed entirely by me it was)!

Dragonsbeard.SkinFood.Splash.HyaluronicAcid.480.JPG

This soap is Top Drawer. So are the other software products.

I could have easily quit after the first (N-S, mostly ATG) pass. It was plenty good for taking to work.

Nice. Nice. Nice.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday my shave was another shave test of a recently honed razor in my current set, meaning the set of seven razors I'm focusing on until I'm satisfied with them (or give up on them).

2-8-20.Robeson.Kit.ABC.Z-Cop-Boar.640.JPG

It's still possible I'll give up on some of the razors in the set, but very unlikely I think. Several are already Top of the Top (my highest edge rating). Others look to be headed that way.

Frankly I wasn't expecting this razor's edge to be where it turned out to be. By the thumb-pad test I wasn't blown away. That just shows how the shave test is really the only test when it comes down to it because the shave with this one was terrific.

How terrific? Well, let's be specific and talk about the first pass. I did one mostly N-S, mostly ATG lathered pass. Basically, that's my usual first pass. Parts of it are not truly one pass nor N-S (meaning my lips and my chin), but the overall shave of this first pass is as one pass as my shaves get.

That's it. Nothing else seemed necessary.

It's Saturday. I don't have to go anywhere or be especially presentable. While I know I could have done more work, more passes, and gotten an even better shave, this one pass shave was good enough. It would be good enough for a workday too although on most work days or for most social occasions I'd do more passes just to get an even better shave.

My highest standard is a very good first pass shave like this.

I suppose I should say this edge is Top of the Top, but I'm not sure it's quite as great as the Bismarck edge was yesterday. It might be better though. It would take more head to head than I'm willing to do to be sure. Main thing is I believe this edge is great, but I'm also pretty sure it's not yet maxed out.

888&HyaluronicAcid.480.2-8-20.JPG

Today's products include 888. If you've not tried it, it's a very pleasant smelling splash. The scent is not terribly long lasting but I like it a lot for its scent. However, what I really love about 888 is the way it feels on my skin when I first apply it. Nothing else feels just this way (well, there's one other RR splash with a different scent which feels the same, but it's the same base, and I like this scent better).

Generally speaking today's was a very pleasant and nice and pretty quick shave. Let me give a quick shout out to the scrubby yet extremely soft Zenith boar and the superb creamy ABC shave soap; both are wonderful products.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sunday's shave tested the edge on my Kinfolks #1.

2-9-20.Kinfolks#1.Kit.ABC.Z-Boar.640.JPG

It was a definite pass. Plus I enjoyed the little Zenith boar and the great Italian hard soap.

Kinfolks#1.Kit.ABC.Boar.480.2-9-20.JPG2-3-20.Kinfolks#2.Kit.ABC.StirlingMarble.640.JPG

Kinfolks #1 on the left & Kinfolks #2 on the right.

Today I shaved in just one pass (or what I call one pass). It was a decent shave; for a one pass shave it was darn good, but not as good as some one pass shaves of late.

I'd rate the edge highly. Certainly shave ready. Certainly Top Drawer. Maybe not quite Top of the Top, but very close to that standard. Question is how much can it improve? I think it not yet maxed out.

I'm in no rush to take it back to the stone.

HyaluronicAcid.PumpBottle.1-7-20.480.JPG

This large bottle of hyaluronic acid was purchased months ago on the theory that the small bottle would be empty sooner rather than later, but I'm still using the small bottle. A little goes a long way. Have I mentioned how much I like this product? Have I mentioned you'd like it too and should give it a try. Two drops to damp skin post shave. Not greasy at all. No downside.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yes, I think sticking with just one soap is worth doing while I compare these various edges. Good thing the soap I picked is so good. I'm telling you ABC is really really really good soap.

I'm having a lot of fun with this project.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday morning. Another shave test.

2-10-20.Kit.Boker.ABC.SOC.640.JPG

Boker. Shave ready. Top Drawer, probably Top of the Top, but not maxed out.

Very nice edge. Very smooth.

Excellent kit all around.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday we're talking excellence.

2-11-20.Kit.ABC.Torrey.Snap.136.ProPro.640.JPG

Excellent razor. Excellent edge. This edge, this razor - Torrey 136, snap to close - would be one of the few I'd absolutely, definitely, 100% sure about it pick for my very top razors collection.

The first pass was excellent. I probably should have, and definitely could have, quit then.

The Proraso Pro (by Omega) brush is wonderful now that it's broken in. Lovely knot.

All my software is Top of the Top.

Excellent kit. Excellent shave.

You should be so fortunate.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday was sorta kinda a repeat.

2-12-20.Torrey.Snap.136.Kit.DB.Hyal.Acid.Itall-Flag.640JPG.JPG

Same razor. Why? Because I enjoyed it so much yesterday and wanted to test it with Dragonsbeard Soap.

The test was successful.

Was today's shave as great as yesterday's? Maybe not, but so close who cares?

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Another day, but same razor.

2-13-20.Kit.Torrey.Snap.136..JPG

I must like this edge!

Not much to say except today's shave was fast (I was in a hurry) and also good.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm quoting part of a post I made about two years ago because I want to discuss a few points.

This is about comfort vs issues like an itchy neck.

I know the sharp whisker (sic) are somewhat of a problem. I don't know they're all of the problem, but I would like to have cut whiskers which aren't sharp. Seems to me that means cutting them at an angle which goes parallel to the skin and perpendicular to the shaft of the whisker. That would be I think the ideal blade angle in terms of blunt cutting the whiskers.

When I wrote that post I was aware of a goal - dull whiskers -and had a rationale - comfort - for the goal.

I couldn't achieve shallow angle shaving satisfaction. Steep angle? Yes indeed, but then I have pointy and sharp whiskers.

The obvious solution is the straight razor. I knew that when I wrote this post but I also knew then I would never use a straight razor because of my fear inducing bloody college experiences with the cut throat.

I mean bloody as in I should have seen a plastic surgeon.

Anyway, a few hundred straight razor shaves later the straight razor is still the obvious solution. Even more so as I acquire sharp razors and improved technique.

I expect to improve from here including in the comfort department.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday...not much change.

2-14-20.Torrey136.Snap.ABC.CopperMan.640.JPG

Very very good one pass (more or less) shave. Excellent edge.

I really really really like this soap. It might be best soap I've used.

Happy Valentine's Day to you and yours!

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
That's another neat soap I'm not going to buy because I'm on a restraint.

Don't you just have to sell something to offset a purchase or am I thinking of a different restraint?

I'm supportive of the restraint (against my enabling tendencies and impulses). Your wife told me to be supportive or else. She is very persuasive (like that's news to you).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Don't you just have to sell something to offset a purchase or am I thinking of a different restraint?

I'm supportive of the restraint (against my enabling tendencies and impulses). Your wife told me to be supportive or else. She is very persuasive (like that's news to you).

Happy shaves,

Jim
You are allowed two trades per month. I'm avoiding that and keeping my commitment to no new anything except the purchase of the Fatip Slant. I would definitely get into trouble pushing the rules. I've even told my family no shaving related gifts. I'm going by rule #8 to keep myself out of trouble...because I am the very definition of trouble: If you have to ask for clarification, you probably should not be doing it. I already asked for clarification about buying both Fatip Slants. I was shot down immediately, so I will purchase one Fatip OC Slant as per my one exception purchase.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today I tried a different soap, but used the same razor, the most excellent Torrey 136 snap to close.

2-15-20.Kit.Torrey.Snap.136.3P.AP-Gel.640JPG.JPG

My shave this Saturday morning was good. Very good. No surprise there, but what about the soap?

I'm kinda sorta comparing 3P to another and much much more expensive Italian soap, the most excellent and luxurious Antica Barbieria Colla, or ABC. The hard soap version.

3P loads and lathers well, but it's not in the league with ABC in that department. That doesn't mean I'm saying there are any problems with 3P in its loading or lathering.

ABC lather impresses me initially and throughout the shave as being extremely creamy and luxurious. 3P lather doesn't. Again, there's nothing wrong with the lather of 3P, but it's not the great lather of ABC.

I didn't appreciate much in the scent of 3P. Yeah, there is a scent, but it's so mild as to not much count. To the degree I could appreciate it, and considering how minuscule the scent of ABC hard soap is, I'd give the scent of ABC the edge, but the edge is so small that it shouldn't matter.

The overall shave with 3P was excellent. I'd say it closely compares in shave performance with ABC hard soap. Obviously, that's very important to me, and should be to anyone.

What about post shave?

As I usually do I applied hyaluronic acid and then DBSFS to my damp skin after shaving. Both are great products. My skin is vastly better using them. If I had to pick just one post shave product it would be HA.

So, obviously, I'm comparing 3P's post shave with ABC's post shave but incorporating my usual products into the equation thus screwing it up. Oh, well, didn't claim to be doing actual research here.

The post shave of 3P is pretty good. I'd have to use it a bunch of times to be sure, but I think it might be just a smidgeon drying compared to ABC hard soap, but perhaps not. In any event it's not badly drying to my skin. I could certainly live with it I think (although that's not the same as using it for a week or two and then saying whether it's drying, etc.).

Bottom line:
  • ABC is a better soap, but 3P is also a very good shaving soap.
  • ABC is quite expensive.
  • 3P is very inexpensive (from Connaught) and a much better value if you're shopping for price.
  • If luxury is the goal ABC is definitely the way to go.
  • ABC is a luxury soap for sure.
  • 3P is very good.

1581785953493.png

Obviously, if price is the big factor 3P is the big winner especially by the kilo (see Connaught).

1581786013151.png

There are many good choices in soaps these days including the Italian soaps.

3P is one of the good choices.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sunday's shave was good enough.

2-16-20.Valobra.Kinfolks#2.Stirling26mm.Kit.640.JPG

The edge on my Kinfolks #2 is good. Shave ready. Top Drawer. But, it is not Top of the Top. It needs to be if it's to suit me.

Valobra smells like soap. Good soap.

888&HyaluronicAcid.480.2-8-20.JPG

With my very best edges I can get a shave as good as this with just one pass, but today's wasn't a bad shave by any means. I do, however, want all my edges to be Top of the Top.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday's shave was barely okay.

2-17-20.Kinfolks#1.Kit.640.DB.JPG

The Kinfolks #1 is shave ready, but not where it should be.

Gotta work on the edge...

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom