What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Beach.NewBottle.480.7-13-19.JPG

One of my favorites.

Do you know if they have a matching soap Jim?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The problem would be, not being able to get the ASL here in the UK.
Of course that's really a minor blessing as I'm still in minimalist mode.

Right. I never think of that because I never use any AS. I can get it through Italian Barber but its pricey and as I said, I never use any anyway.

Now that I have the smoked ham in the oven, I have more time. :tongue_sm

$15US for the soap, plus shipping...

Screenshot_2020-02-24 Shipping - Phoenix Shaving - Checkout.png

Plus exchange comes tooooooo $41.65CAD!

Thats just nonsense... I guess I'll be going without lol.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Me too.

Try some Vitos Extra Super. You'll be an instant billionaire.

PAA makes several grades of soap. I've heard the most expensive (and newest) of them is the best, but I've not tried it. Don't know if they have it in the Beach scent but would think they would.

I'm not buying much these days. I have plenty for now.

Also, have to budget in the slant(s); but I know that's a universal problem.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday's shave was great.

2-25-20.Kit.TorreySnap.136.Vitos.Mondial.640JPG.JPG

My snap to close Torrey 136 might be my best edge. Wow!

Dragonsbeard.SkinFood.Splash.HyaluronicAcid.480.JPG

Really good kit and excellent shave.

First pass (so called) was marvelous.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today's Wednesday shave presents difficulties.

2-26-20.Kit.Kinfolks#1.Vitos.Rave'sMan.640.JPG

Yes, it's a shave test for the Kinfolks #1. I'd say several things about the edge.
  • It is Top of the Top in that I could take this quick, one lathered pass, ATG, S-N shave to work which is the standard for Top of the Top (my standard).
  • It is not I think maxed out.
  • It is also not as wonderful an edge as the very best of my razors which demonstrates there just might be either degree within my category of Top of the Top or a level higher than Top of the Top or something. In any case, it all makes sense to me, and the edge could use more time on the hone because I want it maxed out no matter what.
  • To be clear, it's a very very good edge, but the Bismarck and the recent Torrey 136 have better edges.
  • If I had to live with just this one edge I'd be a happy camper.
See the problem? Well, of course you do. Still, it's not much of a problem.

Lovely brush. Very lovely brush. Wonderful Zenith Manchurian brush. The soap is a match for it; you need to try this soap (Connaught's the place for it; cheap it is; 100 ml is the starter size).

Hyaluronic Acid: Two little globs of the gel applied to post shave skin which is still damp but not wet (air dried a bit), and rubbed into the skin works wonders. It's very cheap because a little bottle lasts months and months. You need to try it. Yes, you. Really. Trust me on this. Amazon.

HyaluronicAcidForFaces.480.jpgBayRum.AtomicAge.CrownKing.480.8-18.JPG

Top notch post shave products. I love the scent of this Atomic Age Bay Rum. Most everybody who tries it says the same thing. I get compliments, yes, but mostly it pleases my nose.

Enablers R Us employee of the month.jpg

I continue to wonder how I win this award month after month.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Was going to do some honing, but I got lazy. So, instead I'm watching an episode of Trial and Retribution on Acorn.

1582750290572.png

Several of this group have yet to be maxed out. A couple haven't been shave tested since their last honing. I'm also considering picking one razor and joining in the Fixed Four in March. It would be for me a Fixed Three.

So many choices. So much laziness.

Today was a day off from work but I went to the office to repair a lamp. That necessitated a trip to Lowe's to discover how hard it's gotten to find the parts to repair a lamp. The part I purchased wasn't exactly what I wanted and had to be modified so I could use it; worse, I think it a piece of junk relative to the parts which were once readily available.

Such is life.

1582751319955.png

On the other hand, there is much to celebrate and for which I'm grateful. One of those things was an enjoyable lunch today with my wife and her quilting girlfriend at a little Turkish restaurant. My falafel sandwich was very good as was the baba ghanoush we shared.

1582751564003.png

I was sporting a decent enough shave for the occasion and can still smell the bay rum I applied earlier today. That's good since I have another meal out tonight. My wife and I are taking our daughter's best friend (who is much like a daughter to us) out for a burrito; she's fixing to go to Germany for exchange student stuff and knows there's no Mexican food where she's going. I'd say the joint we're headed for is hippie Tex Mex, but it is very good for what it is.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm envious of all the independent restaurants you have in the US. We dont have many here...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm envious of all the independent restaurants you have in the US. We dont have many here...

When I moved here the restaurant selection was terrible. It could still be better, but it's really quite impressive now for a small city. For me, one thing missing is a good vegetarian restaurant, but a lot of places have good vegetarian options including both of the ones I mentioned.

I'm not vegetarian as I eat seafood pretty often and occasionally eat some turkey, but I like vegetarian and vegan food when it's well done. Most of what my wife cooks at home is vegetarian. She is also especially skilled at cooking fish.

I'd hate not having the local options. Why do you not have them there, Mike?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Why do you not have them there, Mike?

The usual suspects, all chains. The Outback and The Keg for steaks but they dont know how to cook one. Casey's, Kelsey's, Jack Astors, are all about the same. Theres only one smallish diner I go to, Harry's. Good food and good prices. You never leave wanting more and its less than $20 a head.

Sometimes, but very rarely anymore, Mustang Sallys, but its more the typical sports bar these days. Since they renovated, the food quality hasnt risen with the prices.

I use to enjoy East Side Marios. Their Firecracker Shrimp was damn good and came in a huge pasta bowl for $16.95. Now the same dish comes in a soup bowl for the same price.

There are two more upscale places, Under the Volcano which I've heard as dropped a rung or two in the last few years and La Casa, which is owned by a guy I went to school with. When we in grade school, his uncles, this is a large Italian family, ran Vito's Cave and Tony's Pizza. Tonys is still around the corner from me but it was sold about 15 years ago and they kept the name. At $35 for the panzarotti I used to order for under $18 and change, they no longer get my business. It use to be a fantastic, real Italian restaurant. When you walked in to order take out, you basically walked right into the kitchen, only separated by the counter where you pay. For years, the only person that spoke English was the daughter of the owner. Imgaine a busy Italian kitchen and that was it, great place. No longer though.

Vito's Cave was an experience back in the 70's for me. The storefront was ...a cave lol. You walked into a cave like opening that was lit with red lights. It was a steak house and a good one.

Now there isnt a good steak house in 100 miles, literally. The last time I went to The Keg I ordered a ribeye, charred medium. I stopped and looked directly at the waiter and said "I cannot stress charred' enough". I like my steak cooked fast over direct flame then basted with butter. I want to see black on the edges and red/pink in the middle. That $45 ribeye came to me like it had been boiled. It was grey, and the only black on it was like it had been sprinkled with pepper. I'll cook my own for $20 since they were never taught how. It was chewy too. Ribeyes shouldnt have the same constancy as Round lol.

The independent owners just cant compete with the chains. The typical chain restaurant here is so busy on Friday and Saturday nights theres a line up out the door for frozen microwave food and the old mom and pop pizza joints like Papa's are going broke. The father even still grows his herbs in the front window! A large deluxe thats so heavy the box will fold if you dont carry it right and will feed 4 people with leftovers for $14.95 and Pizza Hut cant make pizzas fast enough. Its a sorry state of affairs.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Some years ago at a sushi bar a couple were talking about the restaurant franchise they'd bought. The huge selling point for their purchase was the fact that everything on the menu arrived frozen and was then microwaved. No need for any chefs or cooks or adults. Just low cost teenagers. Literally.

People say it's good. I doubt it.

Sounds like you have at least a few good places. Prices have risen a lot here on restaurant food pretty much leaving us out when it comes to the expensive places (which used to be a lot less expensive).

NachoMamas.Door&Glasses.480.JPG

This is the front door (from inside the joint) of the counter service burrito place we went tonight. Two burrito dinners, one shrimp, one chicken, with rice and beans (which I love) + small guacamole and small cheese dip + one Coke + one dinner salad with fish cost me about $50 including a tip. It's a generous amount of food as the burritos are very large, but it's really gone up in price. The menu hasn't changed at all in decades except for the prices.

It's a quite successful local business.

The glasses are from when the location was an optician's shop or something like that, many decades ago according to what I've heard.

That Italian place with not much English sounds very cool.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday's shave was another shave test of a razor honed last week on Wednesday (I think it was Wednesday).

2-27-20.Kit.BokerTree.Extra.640.Vitos.Z.Boar.JPG

This Boker Tree, Extra Hollow Ground, Fully Warranted is now Top of the Top. No doubt about that, but I also suspect the edge can be further maxed out.

I'd put it a tad below the 136 and the Bismarck, but slightly above the two Kinfolks razors. Still, it's a very nice, and smooth shaving, sharp edge. Very pleasant and effective.

Dragonsbeard.SkinFood.Splash.HyaluronicAcid.480.JPG

My brush was grand and worked wonderfully well with the Vitos soap (both being Italian, don't you know). The post shave products were, as always, perfect.

My Dragonsbeard Skin Food Splash is getting pretty low (this is an old photo).

A very very good shave.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Chain restaurants and franchises are pyramid schemes. The ones at the top make the most money. I dont like any of them here and it wouldnt surprise me in the least if the food at all of them originated in the same place. They're all priced the same too. When I was going to them more often it was $30 a head, drink included without a tip. At The Keg, for that ribeye and a drink was $62. For a steak with fries, a spoonful of Green beans and a Tequila Caesar. The Caesar wasnt even a Caesar, it was a Bloody Mary. For a drink originating in Canada, you'd think they'd get that much right! I can make the same meal at home for $20 and have it done right.

The thing that gets me about it all are the lineups. People cant wait to eat at those places. It baffles me.

I went to Five Guys once with a friend. Two bacon cheese burgers, two fries and two medium drinks was $28 and change. For take out burgers! That place was in a new strip mall and was closed in less than a year. That storefront, incidentally, is still empty three years later... I wonder which corporation used it for a loss.

We have a couple gourmet burger places, but theres no way in Hell I'm paying $30+ for a burger and they're franchises too.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I went to Five Guys once with a friend. Two bacon cheese burgers, two fries and two medium drinks was $28 and change. For take out burgers!
We had a Five Guys open up in here in SoCal, lasted about 2-3 years. If I want a burger it is In-n-Out, usually $24 for 4 of us.......
In-n-Out.jpg
1512436_10200498617228382_193795843_n.jpg

Top Bottom