What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Scars from straight razors. Stitches from knives. Are you sure you've been authorized for the use of these implements Jim? lol

Absolutely not.

1579983668466.png

Before ^ she went to nursing school and released her evil ways.

1579983220717.png

Big Nurse allows straights galore in the seclusion room.

For what that's worth.

Here's a secret picture I took one night. Yes, that's Big Nurse.

1579983428259.png

That's all you need to know.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Honing today began with my red Tanifuji.

Red-Tanifuji.640.Honing.1-26-20.JPG

This edge has been a problem for me. It's been at best marginal. Sorta kinda almost shave ready at best. Nowhere near the top of the top drawer.

Okay, okay...I get it. Top of the top drawer is meaningless to you.
  • Top Drawer (at the moment) means truly shave ready by my highest standards. Very smooth and comfortable + an excellent and easy shave.
  • Top of the Top drawer (at the moment) means my more or less first pass which is more or less ATG leaves me with a shave where I could quit after that one pass and feel very well shaved all day. A truly glorious edge.
Neither necessarily mean maxed out, but Top of the Top is so maxed out that who cares.

What was my honing procedure today?
  • I began on the convex coticule (stone to the far left) onto which I placed slurry made with the slurry stone and bout (on the right).
  • Next, came the soft side of the Double Convex Ark 8x3. Ballistol and water.
  • Then, back to the convex coticule with slurry.
  • Next, more soft side of the DCA.
  • Then, the convex coticule with water.
  • Eventually, the DCA hard side.
  • Then, back to the convex coticule with water.
  • Finally, finishing on the black side of the DCA.
Throughout I tested the edge with my finger-pad comparing the edge with my Kinfolks #2 (which is at least Top Drawer).

1580059951960.png

Also used was a black Sharpie.

I don't often use a Sharpie and am very aware that my skills with it are rudimentary at the very best. A tutorial on how to use it wouldn't hurt me at all. I know I've asked questions about using the Sharpie and gotten good answers but that's not the same as really understanding the tool or having experience with it.

In particular I need to understand how to use the Sharpie with my convex stones (since those are the stones I use). I don't know the Sharpie has a place with the convex stones, but I used it today and discovered spots needing more work.

Fumbling about with stones is really my level of expertise (or reflects my lack of expertise). If the Sharpie helps me at all I'm all for using it.

Red.Tanifuji.1-8-20.Off-ConvexCoticule&DCA.640..JPG

I'd say the thumb-pad test is better with this razor after today's honing, but I'm not sure if the edge will prove shave ready much less Top Drawer when I shave test it. We'll see.

Considering how much work I've done on this razor - including a true and complete bevel set - I'd think the edge would have been great a long time ago. I've done well honing other Tanifuji edges.

I don't think the razor was ruined by heat or anything such as that (but how could I really know). My suspicion is the steel is very hard and I've just not gotten it where I want it. Yet! The key word here is yet, and maybe I finally have.

We'll see.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
More Sunday afternoon honing...

1-26-20.Honed 2 of these 3 razors.640JPG.JPG

The top razor, my Kinfolks #2, was used only as a thumb-pad reference point. It was not honed at all nor does it need to be.

The Robeson (Rochester, bottom) was honed on the soft side of the DCA, and not just a little bit. It was also honed a bit on the convex coticule with water. It was finished on the hard, black side of the DCA.

The Kinfolks #1 was honed only on the finishing side of the DCA.

Used a Sharpie again.

I believe there was some improvement (going by the thumb-nail test) in both edges. I have more confidence in the Kinfolks #1 than in the Robeson. A couple of shave tests will tell the tale.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday's shave was good.

1-27-20.Kinfolks#2.DB.CopperMan.640.JPG

Kinfolks #2.

Ugly blade, but very good edge. Last Wednesday I worked on maxing it out. Not sure it's maxed out but it's a Top Drawer edge (maybe not Top of the Top).

Any problems resultant from today's shave were user and technique related. In other words this was not a perfect shave, but it was a very good shave.

Plenty good enough.

Dragonsbeard.SkinFood.Splash.HyaluronicAcid.480.JPG

Excellent software - particularly the Dragonsbeard Soap and Skin Food Splash - and very enjoyable shave. I'd not shaved for 72 hours, so I needed a good shave.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday. Now we're talking.

1-28-20.torrey136.Snap.DB.Kit.640.JPG

Really good edge. Top Drawer. Maybe Top of the Top.

Excellent kit all around today.

Dragonsbeard.SkinFood.Splash.HyaluronicAcid.480.JPG

The last few times I've used this 26 mm brush I've wondered why I liked it less long ago than I like it now. I doubt it's changed, but my appreciation of it has. It's not very dense at all, but it feels great and performs admirably. Nothing not to like about it. It reminds me of the olive handled Zenith Manchurian but it sure cost a lot less.

A good two band is a wonderful thing.

No, I'm not saying this Stirling is as good as a Zenith Manchurian, but it's close. I'm also not saying this brush is insufficiently dense, but it's not as dense as my 24 mm Stirling finest brushes or my 24 mm Yaqi two bands (two bands and finest being the same thing as far as I can tell).

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Tuesday. Now we're talking.

View attachment 1057183

Really good edge. Top Drawer. Maybe Top of the Top.

Excellent kit all around today.

View attachment 1057184

The last few times I've used this 26 mm brush I've wondered why I liked it less long ago than I like it now. I doubt it's changed, but my appreciation of it has. It's not very dense at all, but it feels great and performs admirably. Nothing not to like about it. It reminds me of the olive handled Zenith Manchurian but it sure cost a lot less.

A good two band is a wonderful thing.

No, I'm not saying this Stirling is as good as a Zenith Manchurian, but it's close. I'm also not saying this brush is insufficiently dense, but it's not as dense as my 24 mm Stirling finest brushes or my 24 mm Yaqi two bands (two bands and finest being the same thing as far as I can tell).

Happy shaves to you,

Jim
Fantastic!!!!!!

Sharpie confirms your bevel is near set or set. You will want to see no sharpie marks at tip of bevel. And usually clean bevel. At this point razor should be shaving. Rough but shaving. Razor should be biting from heel to toe. Thumb pad. Arm hair...Do you have a 5k is stone synthetic or other wise. Once bevel is properly set. I have found that my problem children need time at 5k. Once turned up there they started to behave on the convex ark and or other stones or hones. I have a feeling either your bevel set or
Mid range is your issues

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sharpie confirms your bevel is near set or set. You will want to see no sharpie marks at tip of bevel. And usually clean bevel. At this point razor should be shaving. Rough but shaving. Razor should be biting from heel to toe. Thumb pad. Arm hair...Do you have a 5k is stone synthetic or other wise. Once bevel is properly set. I have found that my problem children need time at 5k. Once turned up there they started to behave on the convex ark and or other stones or hones. I have a feeling either your bevel set or
Mid range is your issues

Thanks. That's helpful. Could be the midrange. Yes, I have a 5K SS.

Just fumbling about and did it right huh? lol

There really are a lot of variables, Mike. It's hard, maybe impossible, to know the impact all of 'em have. The grind, the steel, the razor's history, what I do and don't do, my mistakes, etc.

I know a number of my very best edges, but not all, had their bevels reset by me to the degree I was 1000% certain the bevels were perfect and also sure that the edges from toe to heel were as visually straight as I can appreciate with only minor magnification (10X).

1580250020948.png

It seems reasonable to me to assume that not all razors are as good as others. There are certain brands and models which seem to stand out in the crowd of folks talking about how great their shave with certain razors are. Maybe some brands and models are just "better," and subject to being honed more easily and to a better degree.

In terms of all that I'm like a toddler fumbling about with stones trying to sharpen a stick. Having fun with it of course, and learning, but kinda unsteady.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Arrived yesterday...

Antica Barbieria Colla. Yes, this is the famous ABC Hard Shaving Soap. It's not the much more widely available softer version.

1-29-20.ABC.Label.Puck.640JPG.JPG

This soap is very hard.

ABC.Back.Label.640.1-29-20.JPG

It's not sold in a container but in a beautifully wrapped puck with labels front and back.

ABC.Ingredients.Soap.Hard.1-29-20.640.JPG

My understanding (unconfirmed by homework) is the softer version has the same ingredients.

This morning I grated the puck. I noticed right away it grates in a manner different from any soap I've previously grated. It may be the driest substance on Earth and you notice this grating it.

Using a little water (drops) and a spoon and a good bit of pressure I was able to get the entire puck into an empty container.

Hawk.AC.ABC.8-12-18.640.JPG

This container, which already had within it the tiniest amount of ABC soap from the sample I bought long ago from Shave Dash, a sample I tried to convince myself wasn't better than the similar Italian soaps Connaught sells for a fraction of the cost of ABC.

You know how that went...

I believe the container was purchased at Maggards. Anyway, shortly into beginning to fill the container it became obvious I wouldn't be able to get all the soap into the container, or so I thought, but, amazingly enough, all the soap managed to fit. Just barely, and with a lot of mashing, pushing, and compressing with my spoon.

1580311370969.png

The soap is a bit wet now. Not a lot wet but wet enough to sit opened for a few minutes or a week drying. Silly to do this of course, but that's what I'm doing unless I change my mind and use it before it's totally dry. Well, totally dry is a joke. I can't imagine it ever becoming as dry as it was when I opened the package.

The scent, as I already know from the sample, is very minimal. Almond? Well, that's what they say, but, to me, it smells like soap although an exceedingly pleasant soap smell. Maybe it's an exceedingly expensive soap scent. Yes, that sounds more correct.

There were within the package I received from Italy a number of free samples of other ABC products. I gave them only a glance and will look at them closely (and use them of course) later.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today's shave was a very Mondial shave test.

Tanifuji.Red.Kit.Mondiall.Soap&Brush.640JPG.JPG

This red Tanifuji was last shaved with last week. I was not pleased with the shave. Since then it's been honed, see this post, during which time it received a great deal more of my careful attention.

The razor was beginning to worry me. Would it be a true Problem Child? Would I abandon my efforts (or indefinitely postpone them) to make it truly shave ready?

1580320646522.png

It's shave ready now.
  • It's not maxed out.
  • It's not Top of the Top.
  • I'd say it's Top Drawer, but maybe bottom of the Top Drawer.
  • The edge is very smooth and comfortable.
  • The edge is certainly sharp enough.
  • It will get more work in an effort to max it out, but it's made the cut.
I'm very glad I was finally able to get this one into some kind of decent shape. Today's shave with it was nice. Nice indeed!

This Mondial soap is mostly sold in huge blocks, but Connaught has small tubs for about $8.50. At any price it is a very good shaving soap. The little tub is too small for my taste, but it works adequately well. The soap loads easily enough and lathers nicely. In those departments don't confuse it with MdC or ABC, but it's still decently fast.

I added lots of water to the lather on my face. The soap can take the hydration and it improves with loads of added water. The scent is very mild, but lemony to me. Not unpleasant at all. The lather is very rich and creamy. It's plenty slick. The ghost lather is good. It gives me a very good shave.

Truthfully, if this were my only soap I'd be a happy camper, but I'd put it into a larger (wider) container.

The post shave is as good as any of the non-artisan, non super-fatted soaps I've tried (other than the notable exception, Dragonsbeard, which manages to have stellar post shave qualities without being super-fatted, hard to rinse, and prone to stopping up my drains).

I will be using some of my Italian soaps more in the next little while as I attempt to compare them with the recently purchased ABC.

1580322036614.png

A 1000ml block of A B Mondial can be purchased from Connaught for a good bit less than the cost of a 4.1 oz puck of Antica Barbieria Colla! Is ABC worth the additional cost? That's up to you. I guess it is to me because I have both, and I'd say ABC is better, but I'd also say it's not that much better if price is a factor.

I'll know more about this as I continue to use these and the other Italian soaps I own, but Anitica Barberia Mondial is very good soap and also very cheap soap (buy the 1000 ml size at Connaught for under $33 and have a lifetime supply?). Buy the small size or a sample to find out if you like it; Connaught has all three.

Perhaps a small tub of ABC will outlast 1000 ml of ABM, but I doubt it. Perhaps over time one or the other or both will be drying. All I know is there are some good shaves to be had with both. ABM is no slouch + it is really cheap for such good soap.

1580322205649.png

Well, I just grab one, but I've recently been grabbing badgers. Today's boar went with today's soap. Generally I really like my two Mondial boars. It took me a minute to dial in the brush today. It's not a badger for sure. Anyway, I like this boar, but, were I making one for myself with this knot I'd set it a good little bit lower. Not that is doesn't work well and feel great.

My other Modial boar has a slightly lower loft height.

My post shave products were the usual great stuff I mostly use.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This is the set of straights I'm working on now.

1580324945486.png

Just these. They're my only focus until they're shave ready or better.

I think maybe they're all either there (that is, shave ready) or very close. Some are Top Drawer. Some are Top of the Top (higher than Top Drawer).

1580325155710.png

My short term plan with these razors is to shave test them and max out their edges in terms of comfort and sharpness and overall quality of their shave.

Don't know how close I am but I'm closer than I was. The red Tanifuji was a stumbling block. At least three of these razors haven't been shave tested since their last honing if memory serves.
  • The Robeson.
  • The Boker.
  • The Kinfolks #1.
As I recall the last honing of all three was just on the hard side of the DCA. Maxing out stuff, not fixing bad issues stuff.

1580325420423.png

My last shave with the Kinfoks #2 left me wondering about whether it's comfort and smoothness could be improved?

We'll see.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Arrived yesterday...

Antica Barbieria Colla. Yes, this is the famous ABC Hard Shaving Soap. It's not the much more widely available softer version.

View attachment 1057451

This soap is very hard.

View attachment 1057453

It's not sold in a container but in a beautifully wrapped puck with labels front and back.

View attachment 1057452

My understanding (unconfirmed by homework) is the softer version has the same ingredients.

This morning I grated the puck. I noticed right away it grates in a manner different from any soap I've previously grated. It may be the driest substance on Earth and you notice this grating it.

Using a little water (drops) and a spoon and a good bit of pressure I was able to get the entire puck into an empty container.

View attachment 1057454

This container, which already had within it the tiniest amount of ABC soap from the sample I bought long ago from Shave Dash, a sample I tried to convince myself wasn't better than the similar Italian soaps Connaught sells for a fraction of the cost of ABC.

You know how that went...

I believe the container was purchased at Maggards. Anyway, shortly into beginning to fill the container it became obvious I wouldn't be able to get all the soap into the container, or so I thought, but, amazingly enough, all the soap managed to fit. Just barely, and with a lot of mashing, pushing, and compressing with my spoon.

View attachment 1057455

The soap is a bit wet now. Not a lot wet but wet enough to sit opened for a few minutes or a week drying. Silly to do this of course, but that's what I'm doing unless I change my mind and use it before it's totally dry. Well, totally dry is a joke. I can't imagine it ever becoming as dry as it was when I opened the package.

The scent, as I already know from the sample, is very minimal. Almond? Well, that's what they say, but, to me, it smells like soap although an exceedingly pleasant soap smell. Maybe it's an exceedingly expensive soap scent. Yes, that sounds more correct.

There were within the package I received from Italy a number of free samples of other ABC products. I gave them only a glance and will look at them closely (and use them of course) later.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Looks good enough to eat

Top Bottom