What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tomorrow's soap:

Vitos.ExtraSuperCoco.SusanDarnell.640.2-17-20.JPG

I haven't used this one (it came from Connaught a good while back). I ordered just 100 ml; it's also sold in 1000 ml size. Both are cheap.

I have the green version, too, somewhere, but can't find it right now. I think I've used the green once or twice but wouldn't swear to it.

It's a croap (or so they say). Mine was wrapped in cellophane. I pressed it into an empty Maggard soap container using the pressure of my thumbs. It's barely soft enough to press.

Vitos Extra Super Cocco (Red) - forget YMMV, this is the best shaving soap currently in production by a country mile :biggrin1:. More slick than Cella with the same superb lather-ability, cushion and glide. For out of production shaving soaps either Shulton Old Spice or IColoniali Mango Oil.

Hope it's as good as one gentleman says it is. We'll see.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday's shave was great.

2-18-20.Vitos.Extra.Robeson.Man.640.JPG

Today's edge put the hurt on the edges of the past two days!

Is this one maxed out? Not sure, but it surely is Top of the Top or very close.

Vitos.ExtraSuperCoco.SusanDarnell.640.2-17-20.JPG

One shave is not enough to really really tell about a soap, but today's shave, the first with Susan Darnell's Vitos Extra Super Coco was great.

It's an excellent soap in all respects. Plus, it's very very inexpensive by the kilo. Besides that, you can buy a 100 ml sample (which is huge and fills a Maggard soap container) for about nothing at Connaught.

If I'd tried this soap first I might have only one soap.

It's that good. The scent? What scent. The shave performance is great. I see nothing wrong so far with the post shave either. However, I've used it just once so it's early days for too much excitement.

Dragonsbeard.SkinFood.Splash.HyaluronicAcid.480.JPG

These two products cover a multitude of sins, but they don't falsely convince me a soap's good when it isn't.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday's shave was very good indeed.

2-19-20.Tanifuji.Red.Vitos-ESC.MS30.640.JPG

I'm fumbling about with the soap to dial it in. It's so inexpensive I don't mind loading heavy, but I'm finding that unnecessary. It's a very rich and creamy soap. The shave qualities are excellent including glide and ghost lather.

One area problematic to me (in general) is immediate post shave comfort. Here I'm talking about the comfort from the time the shave ends until maybe ten minutes later. In general, I'd like the comfort during that time period to be better.

My comfort during most all of my straight razor shaves is great as is the comfort from about ten minutes after most shaves until the next shave. The only improvements (generally) need to be made in the little window immediately post shave. Not a big deal, but an area where I've not perfected things.

1582124588254.png

This edge is very smooth and certainly shave ready. My shave was top notch, but perhaps the edge could be maxed out a bit. I'll consider whether it's worth it.

Used the usual hyaluronic acid and Dragonsbeard Skin Food Splash. Both are wonderful products.

Happy shaves,

Jim

One area problematic to me (in general) is immediate post shave comfort. Here I'm talking about the comfort from the time the shave ends until maybe ten minutes later. In general, I'd like the comfort during that time period to be better.

Jim, I have a question if thats ok. How would you describe the discomfort during this ten minute window? Are there shaves, with certain soaps perhaps, where this period is better then others?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim, I have a question if thats ok. How would you describe the discomfort during this ten minute window? Are there shaves, with certain soaps perhaps, where this period is better then others?

Some shaves are better than others but I haven't isolated the variable(s).

The discomfort is very minimal as discomfort goes. I'd describe it as feeling like I've slightly overdone something. Kinda feels like - too much pressure, too many passes, a bit too dry, a bit burned - or something like that.

Really I want to make sure I emphasize how unimportant in the big scheme of all things shaving this is. All of my shaves and all three components of comfort (during the shave, immediately post shave, and until the next shave) are vastly better than they once were.

Also, this minimal discomfort does not persist.

It's just something for me to work on. I'm also working to improve every shave (and that's largely an edge issue as in some of my edges just aren't there yet).

1582138744444.png

Occasionally I think about just shaving with my very best edges and getting rid of all the others, but that's way too easy.

Satisfaction is a hard teacher.

Happy shaves,

Jim

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
That Vitos certainly looks an affordable product. Aftershave too, at les than a tenner for 400ml. That's a pricing structure that could tempt even me :D

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
A bit of honing this afternoon.

2-1-20.Honing(5 0f 7).640.DCA-Hard(only).JPG

I'm continuing to work exclusively with this group ^ of seven razors.

Here are today's victims...

2-19-20.Honing.DCA.Hard.640.5-Razors.JPG

The stone is the hard side of my Double Convex Arkansas 8x3 with some Ballistol and water mixture which is what I used today. Only this side of the stone.

The razors are top to bottom.
  • Robeson
  • Boker
  • Kinfolks #1
  • Tanifuji Red
  • Kinfolks #2
None were dull or anything, but all impressed me as not being maxed out.

I'm interested only in razors which meet three standards (my three standards).
  1. Shave ready. This is a higher standard than most so called "shave ready razors" I've purchased, but it's not very high.
  2. Top Drawer. A significant jump. Delivers a good shave.
  3. Top of the Top. Delivers a first pass more or less ATG shave good enough so I could quit and take my shave to work.
If I can't achieve #1 why bother; by this I mean some razors are just problem children so they go to the end of the line (Siberia).

Too many of my razors seem to get stuck in Top Drawer, or worse, bottom of the Top Drawer. This is in spite of my efforts to move them to Top of the Top.

Still, I have a fair number of razors in the Top of the Top category (#3) and plans to move as many as possible to that level. Eventually some Top Drawer razors may end up in Siberia. Only Top of the Top razors will ultimate remain in my rotation.

1582148766877.png

Shave tests are ongoing. Honing is ongoing. All seven of these razors have the potential I think to make it to the Top.

On the other hand, some are awfully slow (or I'm awfully slow which is more likely).

We'll see how the shave tests go. I'll consider doing something different with some razors if they don't make a quantum jump real soon.

Don't think I'm not having fun with this.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
That Vitos certainly looks an affordable product. Aftershave too, at les than a tenner for 400ml. That's a pricing structure that could tempt even me :D

I've not looked at the splash at all. Don't even know where I could buy it. Nor do I have any idea what it smells like.

I've been using my little 2 oz bottle of Dragonsbeard for months. Ten drops or thereabouts a day, most days. Occasionally something else. Of course, it's a skin food splash and not exactly a simple aftershave.

You might really love the Vitos soap. It ticks the boxes and works a treat.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Some shaves are better than others but I haven't isolated the variable(s).

The discomfort is very minimal as discomfort goes. I'd describe it as feeling like I've slightly overdone something. Kinda feels like - too much pressure, too many passes, a bit too dry, a bit burned - or something like that.

Really I want to make sure I emphasize how unimportant in the big scheme of all things shaving this is. All of my shaves and all three components of comfort (during the shave, immediately post shave, and until the next shave) are vastly better than they once were.

Also, this minimal discomfort does not persist.

It's just something for me to work on. I'm also working to improve every shave (and that's largely an edge issue as in some of my edges just aren't there yet).

View attachment 1064813

Occasionally I think about just shaving with my very best edges and getting rid of all the others, but that's way too easy.

Satisfaction is a hard teacher.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thanks Jim, much appreciated.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday's shave tested one of yesterday's victims.

2-20-20.tanifuji-red.kit.ABC.Z-Man.cop.640.JPG

The red Tanifuji is now Top of the Top (by my standards) but with caveats.
  • It's not quite as sharp as some of my Top of the Top razors (I think).
  • It's not quite as comfortable as some of my Top of the Top razors (although it's comfortable it could be more comfortable).
  • It doesn't seem to be maxed out.
  • Still, it delivers a very good first pass ATG shave which is the standard.
  • It's definitely better as a result of its time on the DCA yesterday; that's good of course.

I'll work on it sometime. Not right away. Maybe the strop will help as will perhaps another shave or two.

Excellent soap, excellent post shave products (the usual). Really good shave.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday's shave was very good.

Best.Tanifuji.Red.Off-ConvexCoti&DCA.640.1-8-20.JPGVitos.ExtraSuperCoco.SusanDarnell.640.2-17-20.JPGAP.Gel.Brush.New.10-14-19.640.JPG

My Tanifuji is good. It's edge is Top of the Top. Not maxed out. Yeah, I know that's paradoxical, but it's great steel, so I think it can be even better.

1582306989926.png

This is an interesting, super dense brush, AP-Gel 28 mm. It works well with Vitos Extra Super which is both a great soap and a very very inexpensive soap.

These are wonderful post shave products.

Happy shaves,

Jim

You can't use a DE the same way as a cart, especially on your neck. Multiple no-pressure passes is the key. Reduce, reduce, reduce, then eliminate. I have sensitive and very fair skin and getting close to a BBS without irritation is a non-issue. Let the razor do the work and keep your skin lathered for each pass, no cheating.

agree agree agree

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
agree agree agree

Ah, reminds me of Uncle Sam. Haven't seen him in years. He was one of my first B&B friends.

You're responding to a very old post (which is perfectly fine).

Just to update you: I've hardly used a DE or any other safety razor in a while. I do agree with what Uncle Sam wrote, and agreed with it when (and before) he wrote it.

Necks are an issue for many folks including me, but, thankfully, haven't been my problem is a while.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sunday my shave was very good indeed.

2-23-20.Kinfoks#2.VitosESC.Stirling26.Kit.640.JPG

Just the most basic and most simple and quickest of one pass, ATG, S-N shaves today. I'd skipped shaving yesterday, Saturday, so my growth was 48 hours.

My Kinfolks #2 has pretty scales, an ugly blade, and a Top of the Top edge with caveats and comments.
  • It's about as sharp as any of my Top of the Top razors (I think), but it might not be maxed out to its sharpness potential. Not that I care because the edge is so good.
  • It's not quite as smooth feeling an edge as some of my Top of the Top razors. I'm thinking here of the Bismarck and the Snap to Close Torrey 136. Whether the difference is the steels or my honing I'm not sure. It's still a very comfortable edge.
  • I'm not sure it's maxed out in smoothness or sharpness but it absolutely is a very pleasing blade.
  • I like how it sings. It's pretty noticeable in that department.
  • It delivers a very good first pass S-N shave which is the standard for Top of the Top.
  • It's definitely better as a result of its time on the DCA a few days ago; that's good of course.
Maybe I'll work it on the DCA again sometime.

1582477717513.png

Not right away. Maybe the strop will help as will perhaps another shave or two, but if it doesn't improve from here so what. It is definitely Top of the Top.

HyaluronicAcidForFaces.480.jpg

Just this one post shave product so far. Maybe a splash later.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Would the below have anything to do with it?

No. I think not.

I've now (a while ago) added a splash.

Beach.NewBottle.480.7-13-19.JPG

One of my favorites.

Almost always in recent months, since Frank invented one of these and told me about the other, I've used these two products post shave and nothing else.

Today's great shave was because of today's great edge, good steel, good razor and today's properly lathered and well hydrated lather with a really good soap, Vitos Extra Super.

Mike, Connaught has the soap in both actual samples as well as 100 ml chunks. The real size it's usually sold in is 1000 ml (which is not expensive at all).

Shaves like today's happen pretty consistently with my straights once I get them to the Top of the Top level of sharpness. I would like to be much better able to judge the sharpness of my edges without shave testing them. I'd like to be better at honing. I like to be better at shaving (but I'm better with some soaps and better with some edges). I'd like to win the lottery.

Etc.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday's quick shave was very good indeed.

2-24-19.Kit.Vitos.Bismarck.640JPG.JPG

Very nice edge on this great Bismarck razor. Excellent soap. Excellent little brush.

My post shave products added to the mix. Lovely scent, Dragonsbeard Skin Food Splash.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom