What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My shave today was the best shave I've had so far my newest soap, Dragonsbeard, and it was a good shave.

9-27-16.Dragonsbeard.Preshave.ERN.Kit.640JPG.JPG

Today my razor was the ever great ERN. My brush was the truly wonderful Zenith Manchurian (you should buy one).

Enablers R Us employee of the month.jpg

I win this award month after month, but that only means I work hard and have a lot of friends most of whom are every bit as crazy as me and probably crazier than you. Crazy or not, you need a ZM brush.

I also used the GD Preshave, but today I believe I was able to dial in the Dragonsbeard soap to a much better degree. That made a difference for sure.

Dragonsbeard.SkinFoodSplash.480.9-26-19.JPG

It's now about three or four hours after the shave. The only product I've used post shave is this terrific Skin Food Splash. I like it a whole lot. Mostly because it really does seem to be skin food, but it also smells good to me.

I'll use moisturizer later if I feel the need, but, so far I don't.

I used no other fragrance either but might later.

1569602086227.png

Chevy even named an engine after this shave so maybe it was better than I noticed.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday's shave didn't have to be good but it was.

9-28-19.Kit.Dragonsbeard + ERN.640.JPG

That's the total kit. Noting else.

As I get this soap dialed in it becomes more impressive. In terms of its slickness, cushioning, and ghost lather it's nothing especially impressive but in terms of its total package it's a very impressive shaving soap. I really like it.

The skin splash is the bee's knees. The ERN is a great razor. The brush is my favorite of all my brushes and that's saying something.

1569685982938.png

@Dragonsbeard!

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sunday's shave was nice.

9-29-19.Herder76.Drangonsbeard.Kit.640.JPG

My Herder 76 performed well as did the entire kit. The Herder was honed by me (and was no easy to hone razor, quite the contrary).

1569784969289.png

Dragonsbeard is growing on me. I liked it from the get go, but it's improved as I've learned to use it and used it for a few days. Stellar soap? I think it might be, but in combination with the Skin Food (which is definitely stellar).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Gotta do it. Today's the last day of Slantember, 2019. ATT slant...Blade is an old Polsilver.

9-30-19.ATT-Slant.Kit.Dragonsbeard.640.JPG

Just an easy and simple N-S & S-N shave + some extra on my lips and chin.

My SR shaves are not as good in terms of initial smoothness and closeness!

Simple kit.

The Dragonsbeard soap continues to impress.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Gotta do it. Today's the last day of Slantember, 2019. ATT slant...Blade is an old Polsilver.

View attachment 1021381

Just an easy and simple N-S & S-N shave + some extra on my lips and chin.

My SR shaves are not as good in terms of initial smoothness and closeness!

View attachment 1021382

Simple kit.

The Dragonsbeard soap continues to impress.

Happy shaves,

Jim
That is a beautiful Zenith Brush. So is your ATT slant. They go well in the photo with your Dragonsbeard aftershave and soap (which I definetly am not looking at).
tenorFC5TN52I.gif

Raven Koenes

My precious!
You must think we don't know you.
I'll admit I've been out of control this week. I ordered another Fatip Grande in chrome and another Grande in nickel. You might think why do you need to more of models you already own? The answer is simple. The Grande's I own were both purchased when the Mk2 was first released. Therefore, the caps are 19mm wide. I want to see if the new ones I've bought will have caps that are 19.5mm like a lot of my Wood and Nobile models do. I like the 19.5 cap for added rigidity conversely I also like the 19mm cap. So that is a conundrum I resolved by buying more. You could say just swap heads, but the truth is the finish is better on the Wood and Nobile models and are slightly brighter.

I also ordered: Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite Shave Soap and Fine Accoutrements Lavender Pour Homme Shave Soap.
This is all being sent to my work. If it gets sent home I'm cooked.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The Grande's I own were both purchased when the Mk2 was first released. Therefore, the caps are 19mm wide. I want to see if the new ones I've bought will have caps that are 19.5mm like a lot of my Wood and Nobile models do. I like the 19.5 cap for added rigidity conversely I also like the 19mm cap.

18mm caps vs 19.5mm caps. Either way, all Fatips have enough blade exposure for anyone. The difference in blade stability with the wider caps though, is undeniable.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'll admit I've been out of control this week. I ordered another Fatip Grande in chrome and another Grande in nickel. You might think why do you need to more of models you already own? The answer is simple. The Grande's I own were both purchased when the Mk2 was first released. Therefore, the caps are 19mm wide. I want to see if the new ones I've bought will have caps that are 19.5mm like a lot of my Wood and Nobile models do. I like the 19.5 cap for added rigidity conversely I also like the 19mm cap. So that is a conundrum I resolved by buying more. You could say just swap heads, but the truth is the finish is better on the Wood and Nobile models and are slightly brighter.

I also ordered: Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite Shave Soap and Fine Accoutrements Lavender Pour Homme Shave Soap.
This is all being sent to my work. If it gets sent home I'm cooked.

My wife long ago cooked my goose.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday's shave was very good.

10-2-19.H.Diamond.Dragonsbeard.640.Kit.JPG

Today's razor is the excellent H. Diamond. Honed by Corey (the vendor) it's a great edge, and a really nice razor. In all respects I like it very much.

This MS silvertip brush never fails to delight. It is way way oversized. A wall of dense silvertip. As such it's soft as a cloud with plenty of backbone, but it's also a lather hog. No way around that with a brush of this size. I think the vendor says it's 30mm but it's more like 33mm or so. I like it very much.

Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 11.10.48 AM.png

Counting SR shaves, and noticing they're improving. With regard to smoothness and closeness my SR shaves are not as great as my good safety razor shaves nor are they as fast. They are more comfortable. They are gradually becoming closer and smoother and faster.

I'm not sure my SR shaves will ever get to the safety razor shave level of closeness and smoothness but I'm okay if they don't. Comfort Rules!

SR shaves are a lot more fun of course but you already know that (or should). It is quite interesting to find mine improving.

Frank @Dragonsbeard has made a really fine soap on his first attempt. His Skin Food Splash is perhaps even more remarkable, but both are very very good products.

I took my time with the shave today but tried not to over do anything. I believe I'm improving a bit in my ability to approach my whiskers with the straight from the angles needed, but I have leagues to go in fully developing that skill. I think the H. Diamond is the perfect length for a SR blade, but I'm sure something about it is extra good.

It's really easy to see how shaving another person's face with a straight razor would be far easier in some ways than shaving your own. Angle of approach issues disappear for the most part when it's not you you're shaving. Not that I've ever shaved anyone else, but it seems obvious.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday's shave was really very good.

10-3-19.Wade.Dragonsbeard.Jade.640.Kit.JPG

This razor is my old Wade. Oh, my, what a nice razor and a great edge.

The rest of the kit is just as good.

1570119969928.png

As the number of straight razor shaves climbs my shaves are improving.

This new Dragonsbeard soap may have something to do with how great most of my recent shaves have been. I'd actually prefer the soap to be a bit slicker + I've used it with my preshave (GD) enough to believe a preshave of that quality improves the soap, but the soap is great without any additional help.

Today someone mentioned to me they liked my aftershave. I'm had compliments about my aftershave from just about nobody ever. This is maybe the second or third compliment since I began at B&B over two years ago. I like the Dragonsbeard Skin Food Splash's scent, too, but its effect on my skin far outshines its great scent.

Frank @Dragonsbeard is a superstar in the making as well as a B&B member.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom