What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday's shave was very good.

H.Diamond.9-13-19.Kit.JPG

My H. Diamond has a great edge (honed by the vendor). I think it's actually improved as I've used it.

What a great brush! Horse of course.

upload_2019-9-13_12-44-31.jpeg

What an angel number is is a mystery to me, but I like the information here. Also, it's Friday the 13th. Friday the 13th has sometimes been a very good day for me. Today it has so far.

Beach.NewBottle.480.7-13-19.JPG

This is a great scent for me. To me it smells like a coconut drink on a Jamaican beach (or what I imagine that to be like). I've been told it has a vanilla scent, too, and perhaps it does. I think I smell both right now. It's now about five hours after I applied the splash (in a palm-made balm along with Cremo Moisturizer).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday my shave was very nice.

9-14-19.M&M.Ouroboros.H.Diamond.Kit.Manchurinan.640.JPG

You'll notice the new soap. I like it so far. Today's razor was the same as yesterday's so as to be more apples to apple in the soap comparisons.

I used Grooming Dept Preshave.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sunday's shave was okay.

9-15-19.640.Tanifuji(white).M&M.Kit.JPG

This razor, my white Tanifuji, was honed today on the DCA (both sides) because when I last used it, Wednesday, I thought it could be sharper. I think maybe it is now.

upload_2019-9-15_18-9-5.png

It was an okay shave. I'm not entirely pleased with the edge, but I can and will do more work on it. I'm not really down on the edge, but merely want it as sharp as it can be (and as sharp as my sharpest razors).

Used GD Preshave.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday's shave was excellent.

9-16-19.Kit.Wade.M&M.CopperBoar.640.JPG

This Wade has a truly wonderful edge! The edge makes the straight razor shave.

Also used both GD Preshave and Serum. This soap is really quite good (two shaves into it). The brush is marvelous.

Cremo + Bay Rum (favorites). 480:Small..JPG

I love this bay rum!

What's not to like about shaves like this?

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday's shave was hurried but still pretty good.

9-17-19.Torrey(wide).640.Kit.M&M.JPG

My time management was poor, but the shave didn't suffer much. The edge on my wide Torrey is again very very good after the honing Sunday.

upload_2019-9-17_9-14-39.jpeg

I used GD Preshave and Serum + a new splash (I don't know its name right now and have no photo) + Cremo Moisturizer.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday's shave was excellent.

9-18-19.ERN.M&M.Horse.Kit.640.JPG

The ERN edge is stellar. Honed by me which makes it even better (in my mind, not that others can't hone to an excellent edge).

upload_2019-9-18_11-55-34.png

But, who's counting now that Cal @Cal has gone missing.

Used GD Preshave & Serum. Also used a splash.

888.RazoRock888.480-.5-31-18.JPG

This stuff is not long lasting, but it has the best skin feel and a very pleasant scent.

It's still early days with the M&M soap but it's impressing me. I'm also getting better with its scent. The horse brush is a delight.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My Thursday shave was interesting because I made a big mistake.

9-19-19.Herder(black).M&M.Mondial.Kit.640JPG.JPG

This razor was used by mistake. My other Herder has been honed (by me), but this one came to me as a factory honed NOS and I've not previously used or honed it.

It seemed sharp by my little shave tests, but my shave was not close. Not by a long shot. It was comfortable.

This Herder needs to be sharpened. It will be when I get around to it.

I'm glad I figured out what the issue was. Very glad as I was very puzzled!

GD Preshave & Serum.

Cremo + Bay Rum (favorites). 480:Small..JPG

The shave, even with a lot of work, was marginal, but I smell great.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim, do you have a system for keeping track of which razor was sharpened, by whom, how, and how many shaves ago?

Mike has been in my shave den, taking pictures!

My system is worse than that. I have to search through B&B to find my old posts. Fortunately that's not very hard.

I'm actually formulating a system, but I have not come across or found a way to record the information and keep it handy. Probably a notebook and a pen would work, but that's so low tech it would embarrass my daughter. She already thinks I'm a dinosaur.

Any good ideas?

Happy shaves,

Jim

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

:lol:

Mike has been in my shave den, taking pictures!

My system is worse than that. I have to search through B&B to find my old posts. Fortunately that's not very hard.

I'm actually formulating a system, but I have not come across or found a way to record the information and keep it handy. Probably a notebook and a pen would work, but that's so low tech it would embarrass my daughter. She already thinks I'm a dinosaur.

Any good ideas?

Happy shaves,

Jim

You know my system, Jim. Stick to one razor, but I can't see you adopting that somehow :p

If I were to put a system together for that, it would probably be index cards - one per razor. Start a line with sharpening date, and stones used, then put tally marks against them. After a while, you'll see which stones/methods give best results for that razor, and then be able to go for a simpler date and shave count system.

The problem with digital solutions, is there's more effort involved in getting the device, opening the application, opening the right file, and then entering the data, than there is making a quick mark with a pen. Just like the shave itself, just because it's old fashioned, doesn't mean it isn't the best way for you.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
:lol:

You know my system, Jim. Stick to one razor, but I can't see you adopting that somehow :p

If I were to put a system together for that, it would probably be index cards - one per razor. Start a line with sharpening date, and stones used, then put tally marks against them. After a while, you'll see which stones/methods give best results for that razor, and then be able to go for a simpler date and shave count system.

The problem with digital solutions, is there's more effort involved in getting the device, opening the application, opening the right file, and then entering the data, than there is making a quick mark with a pen. Just like the shave itself, just because it's old fashioned, doesn't mean it isn't the best way for you.

Nicely done, Al.

Hadn't thought of index cards.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents

I'm just getting started with straights, I am putting this together with WordPad as I only have 2 straights that I have been using on a semi-regular basis.......... 31 shaves into the journey.......
I use Google Calendar for my daily notes......

Straight Razor Honing
Log
Flat slightly rounded black Scales.
400/1k-4k/8k-Crox-DPB-linen/strop
What a fine edge it is!
Chosera 800-Norton 4k/8k-arkie/oil-naniwa 12k-linen-strop-DPB-linen-strop-arkie/dry-linen-strop.
Pass HHT.
Very nice edge now, the "Method" harshness is gone.
Chosera 800-coticule-arkie-crox-linen/strop.
Pass HHT
Not tested.

The way I figure it is this, I am already on the computer when I am using the forum, just 2 more taps and all my notes in one place!

prof

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm just getting started with straights, I am putting this together with WordPad as I only have 2 straights that I have been using on a semi-regular basis.......... 31 shaves into the journey.......
I use Google Calendar for my daily notes......

Straight Razor Honing
Log
Flat slightly rounded black Scales.
400/1k-4k/8k-Crox-DPB-linen/strop
What a fine edge it is!
Chosera 800-Norton 4k/8k-arkie/oil-naniwa 12k-linen-strop-DPB-linen-strop-arkie/dry-linen-strop.
Pass HHT.
Very nice edge now, the "Method" harshness is gone.
Chosera 800-coticule-arkie-crox-linen/strop.
Pass HHT
Not tested.

The way I figure it is this, I am already on the computer when I am using the forum, just 2 more taps and all my notes in one place!

prof

And then you add information to the information in each individual block?

Top Bottom