What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Aye but some tools offer better protection from the blade corner than others. I don't have to pay attention to this on any other razor and the E2 doesn't offer enough that I want to get used to doing so.
Well, my brother, the E2 is not just any other razor. I am kidding you. Have a good weekend.

Having a great one so far! British Ever-Ready 1909.
Well, my brother, the E2 is not just any other razor. I am kidding you. Have a good weekend.
proxy.php

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday's shave. Good enough for now.

10-6-18.GD66.Kit.640.JPG

I used the razor at a quite shallow angle. About one spine's distance from the skin was my intended reference point.
The razor seemed to fairly easily do its job on my cheeks and neck, but struggled on my mustache area and my soul patch area. My lower lip seems to have the toughest whiskers with my upper lip next.

Mostly I just did one pass with some touch ups and a bit more work on my lips.

If it takes 100 shaves to learn the straight razor I only have a few to go.
proxy.php

A few?

Compared to any shave I would consider smooth and close this was a lousy shave. However, it was not a lousy shave for a mostly one pass shave.

proxy.php

The main thing is it was entirely a SR shave with no blood. Comfortable enough, too. Certainly acceptable for watching football on television.

The razor was dried with toilet paper (not the edge), stropped on my linen strop a little bit, and then stropped a lot on my small English bridle leather board strop.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
"The phrase "reckless abandon" typically is applied to actions that are, well, very active. The word "reckless" comes from the same root as "reckon" (to account, to tally, to figure), and means "without thought to the consequences", or "thoughtless" in the pejorative sense."

I only have one Schick Type E-2.

E-2.Top.640.4-18JPG.JPG

Mine is an open to clean E-2; some are not. My understanding on the Schick E-2 is entirely based on my experience with mine + what I've read.

From what I've read the E-2 razors are quite variable. Some seem to be aggressive (as in prone to biting). Mine is very much not prone to biting me. Mine is extremely easy to use.

proxy.php

When I say I can throw mine about on my face and neck with reckless abandon I'm not kidding even a little bit. It's less prone to biting me than a Gillette Fusion.

That says nothing about any E-2 other than mine.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Pretty...

e5697774-b371-4b3e-830c-6a40c932dfa3-jpeg.917814

I have no interest in another lathering bowl. I have one I like and only use it for non-lathering purposes because I only face lather. However, these two bowls recently sold on the BST sure are pretty.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I used the razor at a quite shallow angle.
I took a pic of the point on my new Feather AC DX with a blade in to help me judge my angles. I've found it really helpful.
upload_2018-10-6_19-18-42.png

~33° seems like a good general angle for me and is easy to judge (about one spine width off the face). The shallowest angle I can get with the blade holder just touching my face (near the blade edge) is ~20° (also easy to judge at just under half a spine width off the face).

I don't know if the idea will help you any Jim, but thought I'd post it anyway.

I took a pic of the point on my new Feather AC DX with a blade in to help me judge my angles. I've found it really helpful.
View attachment 917924
~33° seems like a good general angle for me and is easy to judge (about one spine width off the face). The shallowest angle I can get with the blade holder just touching my face (near the blade edge) is ~20° (also easy to judge at just under half a spine width off the face).

I have found that when the best angle is used, the cutting is both smooth and effective. I learned this using the MMOC and transferred it to a SR.

Also, I use the term hover to describe how it feels when the glide it best.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
View attachment 917924

Everything's helpful, Cal. Good and useful photo and overlay.

Interesting that you bought the Feather DX, too. If I remember correctly I saw a post the other day, not a recent post I think, where you were using an actual straight razor. Was I dreaming? I know you have the SS.

I'll be interested in your impression of the DX as compared the the Feather SS.

So, far I think maybe I like the SR edge more than the AC blade's feel in this type of razor, but I sure see all sorts of advantages to the Feather if the shaves are much the same (not saying they are). No strop. No hone. No rust. No wondering if the blade is "shave-ready."

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
More stropping.

ChromiumOxide.SNation.640.jpg

This is the vendor's photo of my extra large chromium oxide bar.

I coated one side of my linen strop with this stuff. Then I stropped my GD66 razor. First, on the chromium oxide, then on the clean linen side, and finally on my small English bridle leather board strop.

Yes, I cleaned the razor after the first stropping to get the chromium oxide off. I used running water and then toilet paper, avoiding the edge. Even though I did this I wasn't able to actually see any chromium oxide on the blade.

We'll see if I like the edge better when I use it. That will likely be tomorrow.

Happy shaves,

Jim

9EA7113A-9579-4AAB-8A05-BCED615A3DD5.jpeg
How about a DSFS, Damn satisfying fine shave with the ivroid Demascara 5/8 from Fremont, Ohio....probably made by Clauss Cutlery.

Found this razor for $10, honing and stroppimg myself. This razor felt sharper than any I have used.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
How about a DSFS, Damn satisfying fine shave with the ivroid Demascara 5/8 from Fremont, Ohio....probably made by Clauss Cutlery.

Found this razor for $10, honing and stropping myself. This razor felt sharper than any I have used.

Nice photo.

Demascara 5:8.Members.640.jpeg

Nice looking razor, but the best part is this:This razor felt sharper than any I have used, honing and stropping myself.

If I recall correctly this is your first time to use The Method. Can that possibly be correct?

upload_2018-10-7_10-46-58.jpeg

Congratulations in any case for getting it right.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom