What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

I really like the look of those MS brushes. They are out of stock on the ivory handle. Should I wait for more? Tough question to answer I know. Does anyone know if the eBay seller has done round after round of sales for the same price point? Tough call.. JM.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Have I mentioned how nice this MS 30mm silvertip fan brush is?

It is so big and wide and fat and short lofted that it can't help having backbone. It's almost like it has the backbone of a pillow which is just the right shape and size so it doesn't need a backbone to be exactly firm enough.

Every time I use it, it blows my mind. Soft as a cloud. As gentle as a mother's whisper to her newborn. Built like an ox.

I feel the same about my Yaqi. How can they be so soft and yet so strong. I certainly understand and now appreciate badger brushes, but I still cant get my head around paying hundreds of dollars for one. I suppose if one had no other options or wanted a particular handle, but these brushes have to be the best deals in wet shaving right now.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I feel the same about my Yaqi. How can they be so soft and yet so strong. I certainly understand and now appreciate badger brushes, but I still cant get my head around paying hundreds of dollars for one. I suppose if one had no other options or wanted a particular handle, but these brushes have to be the best deals in wet shaving right now.

If you pay more for it that means its better.

upload_2018-3-2_16-18-25.png

I know this is strange to the uninitiated, but one of the other great deals is TWIN blades for the injector. The entry fee is high, but the blades go on and on, and are so sharp and smooth and easy. The price per really good shave is a deal.

Maybe some of the old hands who talk about their high end, very expensive brushes will have the last laugh and we'll eventually buy the brushes they brag on. Me, I doubt it. My guess is we'll one day be telling people how that expensive brush they are drooling over used to be $30, and we have all the handle styles and colors and knot sizes.

I don't know anything about brushes except what I've read, and the brushes I've used, but I like the brushes I've picked out, and I don't hear anybody who owns them saying they are junk.

Not saying the MS and Yaqi brush prices will zoom up, but demand will definitely go up, and there you go.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I really like the look of those MS brushes. They are out of stock on the ivory handle. Should I wait for more? Tough question to answer I know. Does anyone know if the eBay seller has done round after round of sales for the same price point? Tough call.. JM.

I like the horn a lot, and I have a black handed one in transit. I like the ivory handle, too, of course.

I've watched the MS brushes for a few months, but I've paid very little attention to supply and price. Mostly I was learning general information about brushes, and kicking the tires. Yours is a good question. I also wonder if the models available (handles, colors, knots) are consistent?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Not saying the MS and Yaqi brush prices will zoom up, but demand will definitely go up, and there you go.

The Yaqi Silvertip is now $39.05CAD. Its gone up a little, twice in the last two days. I paid $37.51.

When I checked the 30mm MS SIlvertip the other day it came to $78 or $79 something Canadian. It was under $80CAD. Its now $82.19CAD.

This is what the Chinese sellers do. They increase the price by small amounts often. People tend not to notice so much. The prices are rising and they wont stop...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
A simple satisfactory Saturday shave.

FixedFour.3-18.JPG

No basic kit choices to make.

I had a good bit of difficulty getting the hydration right today, but it didn't matter. I had time. It was fun playing with the brush, my beard, the soap, and water. Besides, it seemed to result in a pretty decent shave.

BBS except a bit of my chin and some of my neck. Only two lathered but a little jiggy passes.

My third pass, which is chin, jawline, and neck, and the most jiggy of my passes by far, didn't happen today.

Homemade shave oil.

LuckyTigerMine.JPG

I've not used Lucky Tiger in a long time. We'll see how using it today works out. This shave shouldn't stress the Tiger. My history with LT is that I like it a lot, but I'm not entirely sure it likes me. So, this is a test.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today I did an itsy-bitsy project I've been meaning to do. I got my little "portable" light box all set up in a permanent location so I can easily take photos anytime I'm in the room with the light box and have my super fancy vastly upgraded and modified iPhone camera.

This took a long time because I needed a gizmo. My light box has two lights both of which plug into a USB port for power. Fortunately, both plug into a Y adapter supplied by the vendor, which itself plugs into a USB port.

What was missing was the USB to wall socket adapter. I also needed a longish surge protector, multiple outlet extension cord thingy.

There was the usual cleaning of wires, and rerouting of wires and cables because now I have the lightbox next to my television on top of my big chest of drawers.

Ah, good question. Answer: An iPhone with a case. Any case.

It's going to lead to greatly reduced (actually zero now) rearranging of things to take a photo of a razor or something small like that. Plus, it's very obvious the light box likes living next to the tv on top of the chest of drawers. I've already taken some photos and tested the television and the Roku and Netflix. Everything works.

This was a tiny project, but now it's done.

Happy shaves,

Jim

A simple satisfactory Saturday shave.

View attachment 864743

No basic kit choices to make.

I had a good bit of difficulty getting the hydration right today, but it didn't matter. I had time. It was fun playing with the brush, my beard, the soap, and water. Besides, it seemed to result in a pretty decent shave.

BBS except a bit of my chin and some of my neck. Only two lathered but a little jiggy passes.

My third pass, which is chin, jawline, and neck, and the most jiggy of my passes by far, didn't happen today.

Homemade shave oil.

View attachment 864744

I've not used Lucky Tiger in a long time. We'll see how using it today works out. This shave shouldn't stress the Tiger. My history with LT is that I like it a lot, but I'm not entirely sure it likes me. So, this is a test.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I use Lucky Tiger in the evenings and really like it. I haven't used it after a shave in awhile since it doesn't have any alcohol in it and has that orange scent. I don't know if the scent will cause interactions with other aftershaves. I may have to try mixing it with my aftershaves as my skin seems to really like it. With an aftershave, that would solve the lack of alcohol issue.

Today I did an itsy-bitsy project I've been meaning to do. I got my little "portable" light box all set up in a permanent location so I can easily take photos anytime I'm in the room with the light box and have my super fancy vastly upgraded and modified iPhone camera.

This took a long time because I needed a gizmo. My light box has two lights both of which plug into a USB port for power. Fortunately, both plug into a Y adapter supplied by the vendor, which itself plugs into a USB port.

What was missing was the USB to wall socket adapter. I also needed a longish surge protector, multiple outlet extension cord thingy.

There was the usual cleaning of wires, and rerouting of wires and cables because now I have the lightbox next to my television on top of my big chest of drawers.

Ah, good question. Answer: An iPhone with a case. Any case.

It's going to lead to greatly reduced (actually zero now) rearranging of things to take a photo of a razor or something small like that. Plus, it's very obvious the light box likes living next to the tv on top of the chest of drawers. I've already taken some photos and tested the television and the Roku and Netflix. Everything works.

This was a tiny project, but now it's done.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Don't mean to pry, but I would love to see a picture of your photobooth setup.. JM

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Don't mean to pry, but I would love to see a picture of your photobooth setup.. JM

PhotoLightBox.3-18.JPG

LightBoxSide.JPG LightBoxTop.3-18.JPG

You can remove the circular insert on the top and take a photo from above. The light box is flimsy rubbery plastic held together by built in magnets. For what it is it is fine. I bought it on Amazon. I've seen similar set ups (maybe better, maybe a lot worse) for a lot less coin than I paid, but mine is okay for what it is, and any crummier would really not be a deal.

The sides are a lot straighter than they look in the picture, but they are a tad concave. There is another insert, white.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
View attachment 864855

View attachment 864856 View attachment 864857

You can remove the circular insert on the top and take a photo from above. The light box is flimsy rubbery plastic held together by built in magnets. For what it is it is fine. I bought it on Amazon. I've seen similar set ups (maybe better, maybe a lot worse) for a lot less coin than I paid, but mine is okay for what it is, and any crummier would really not be a deal.

The sides are a lot straighter than they look in the picture, but they are a tad concave. There is another insert, white.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thank you so much for the photobooth photos Jim. :001_wub: I just might have to go shopping for one. I've been enjoying the brush conversation, but I'm quite satisfied with my brush collection. It fits my OCD perfectly. The Omega Mighty Midget is a true gem though. Well of to search photobooths.:letterk1:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
A Sunday shave is an easy shave, sometimes.

L-3.Side.VeryNice.3-18.JPG

Homemade shave oil. Usual Fixed Four kit. Simple shave. N-S. S-N. Not too very jiggy.

I'm of mixed impressions regarding this soap. It is quite protective, and slick enough, and all that.

It is also a bit hard to get quite hydrated enough. It takes some time to hydrate, and, even then I'm not entirely sure I have it hydrated enough. I also know it is not a soap which holds an infinite amount of water. Too much water and it becomes runny. Still, I am pushing it to hold more water, as it seems to perform better quite wet.

Good thing I enjoy playing with the brush and the soap and the water on my face, and have the time to do so. I suspect over the course of the Fixed I will improve a lot with my management of the Formula T soap.

MS.30mm.Fan.Damp.JPG

It seemed to me that my brush was not entirely dry this morning. To be fair, my shave yesterday was even later than my early afternoon shave today so it hadn't been 24 hours. It won't be tomorrow either as I have work, and can't sleep in.

If there's anything important I don't like about the Fixed it is a brush not really dry. With my smaller Stirling fan I do not remember it ever not being dry. Perhaps I picked the wrong brush for this Fixed, but it is what it is. It's not like I picked a brush which doesn't perform perfectly well. It is an amazing brush, just a big knotted amazing brush.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My best photograph so far of the MS 30mm horn handled silvertip fan brush.

MS.30mm.Horn.Fan.3-18.Cropped.JPG

The photo was not photoshopped in any way, except it was cropped a little. I'm not wild about the light, but the angle is pretty good. The perfect angle eludes me, but this will do.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I am really enjoying and finding convenient my "permanent" light box set up. It is so much easier to take photographs now. Just what I had hoped it would be but even better. It turns out that the light box is now at very close to eye level which improves the setup even more.

L-3.TheGrip.HeadOnly.Cropped.3-18..jpeg

I find it interesting how the camera shows imperfections the naked eye misses (as some eBay vendors point out). This razor looks far better to the naked eye than it does in the photograph. I'm sure some of that is my substandard photography skills and iPhone camera.

I used to occasionally hang out for a bit in the back room of a professional photography studio. The people there had the kit!

upload_2018-3-4_15-18-52.png

Their monitors had a hood similar to the one pictured but a lot better and more functional looking. They were using some sort of photoshop software, too, of course. I don't know the brand or anything, but what I noticed was how they photoshopped every picture they didn't delete and some they deleted later. That was the minor thing I noticed. What was so amazing was how rapidly they went through the process, and how skillful they were.

I suppose all sorts of skills become very routine and automatic after thousands of repetitions.

My skills at all things photography related are not so hot, but I've improved trying to keep up with the many amazingly good razor and kit photographers on B&B.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The brush handle looks nice from a good angle, and it feels good in my hand, but in some photos it's dwarfed by the huge bloom.

I still cant get over how wide my Yaqi is when its bloomed lol. It barely fits into my Old Spice mug. Its 3 1/2"s wide. That worries me a bit with the CC creams. The tubs are only 2 1/2"s across. Your 30mm must be 4"s or wider. They're huge.

I think I'd like the shorter handle too.

Top Bottom