What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Tuesday's shave was interesting.

I used two boar brushes. Zenith Short and Scrubby: 24mm knot. 43 mm loft. Omega Mighty Midget: 24mm knot. 47 mm loft. Very similar brushes. Both great (so far). Neither really broken in. If I had to pick one right now, it would be the Omega Mighty Midget which is unbelievable especially for a $7 brush.

View attachment 863719 View attachment 863720

My razor was the iKon X3 with a shim and a Polsilver. It was better, a lot better, with a shim, but still not in the league with an injector or my SS General (or maybe my SE1). But, I got a very good shave. I did cut my chin, not bad, but requiring the Styptic pencil.

I used Prosaso Red in a tub. Homemade shave oil. Witch hazel. Proraso Red splash. Cremo Moisturizer.

I will use the razor again, but it is not going to make the cut for the Fixed Four, nor is the Proraso Red in a tub. Both were good but not quite great enough to consider using every day for a month.

The brushes, maybe.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Good to see ya experimenting with the Ikon 3 slant, how do you like the Proraso Sandalwood splash?
I'm thinking of buying some on my next purchase, its a little unknown to some us.

Esox

I didnt know
I tried skipping the face towel today and just splashing my face 5 times. I ended up with 2 weepers and razor burn + razor bumps.

Sheesh, just when I think I am starting to get the hang of this thing I change one variable and walk away with a rough shave. Didnt help matters that I was using Voskhod blades which have not agreed with me in the past. But when I had the bad shave last week with Voskhod I blamed it on a bad lathering soap.

I spent my first 2 years of DE shaving doing one pass WTG and cleaning it up with an electric Remington. I guess you could call that cheating. But now in my 3rd year I have been trying to do it all with the safety razor only but most days end up with a not-so-close shave and a 5 o'clock shadow by Lunchtime or an acceptable shave accompanied by razor burn and razor bumps.

I Will keep at it, at least every day I get to try again. DE shaving is the only hobby that is still fun even when you are failing.

I see you have two DE razors. The RazoRock has a pretty solid following and its a copy of the post war Gillette Tech, so, on the mild side.

I wouldnt suspect Voshkod the best choice of blade in it, and it certainly wouldnt be mine. I did like the blade on its first shave, then shaves 2 and 3 became quite harsh, but shave 4 was good again. It did lack a bit of sharpness for me, but many blades do.

Try changing blades, but keep using the soap the performs the best for you. Use light pressure and focus on keep the angle right.

Might I suggest a Fatip? :)

That should be in my sig line hahaha.

I've given it a go with no response. They did however respond to trying to find a 1980's Fatip Classic. I don't think a slant is a priority for them. :07:

If you've mentioned it, I'll bet they're researching it. Fatip is a forward looking company but they dont make changes quickly. Each change they have made has been small but an improvement.

Look how long they've been making razors and the most complex change they've made thus far was introducing the Gentile head. Not a drastic departure from their OC head, but a significant design change. Among those that use them echo that. Seemingly as efficient and yet somehow, more comfortable. Thats an accomplishment. A lot of time would have gone into R&D, mold design and material, machinery, production line changes, staffing, QC and integrating that into their work environment, even with that somewhat small change.

A slant, is a huge change. It would affect their entire razor head design geometry, not only the comb/bar. You can bet they're looking into it but I wouldnt expect it for ......a while lol.

Might I suggest a Fatip? :)

That should be in my sig line hahaha.

If you've mentioned it, I'll bet they're researching it. Fatip is a forward looking company but they dont make changes quickly. Each change they have made has been small but an improvement.

Look how long they've been making razors and the most complex change they've made thus far was introducing the Gentile head. Not a drastic departure from their OC head, but a significant design change. Among those that use them echo that. Seemingly as efficient and yet somehow, more comfortable. Thats an accomplishment. A lot of time would have gone into R&D, mold design and material, machinery, production line changes, staffing, QC and integrating that into their work environment, even with that somewhat small change.

A slant, is a huge change. It would affect their entire razor head design geometry, not only the comb/bar. You can bet they're looking into it but I wouldnt expect it for ......a while lol.

If you watch this video they mention that the Fatip has been changed to a less aggressive head called version 2

So the only way to get the old version 1 that has issues with the plating coming off would be to buy a used one.

If you watch this video they mention that the Fatip has been changed to a less aggressive head called version 2

So the only way to get the old version 1 that has issues with the plating coming off would be to buy a used one.
No there's a vendor in Germany who sells on eBay and still has stock. I just bought one. Look for the old box
proxy.php

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Esox

I didnt know

If you read the latest review on that video, you'll be reading my words.

I'm not sure about plating coming off any of the Fatips other than the gun metal finish that wears off rather quickly.

@Raven Koenes can likely speak to that. He even has an original Fatip from the 1980's.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
If you read the latest review on that video, you'll be reading my words.

I'm not sure about plating coming off any of the Fatips other than the gun metal finish that wears off rather quickly.

@Raven Koenes can likely speak to that. He even has an original Fatip from the 1980's.
...and three old stock. A Piccolo in nickel, a Grande in nickel, and a Retro in Chrome. The 1980's has stains from years of use, but otherwise there is absolutely zero nickel plating loss. From what I can tell the plating on Fatips is fine. Perhaps, it is even superior to Gillette (at least Gillette's plating from the 1930's). Like you have said Mike, that the plating on brass does not need to be as thick as on German zamak razors. In the looks department Fatip is right there with Merkur. Due to the thickness of the plating on Merkur they tend to compromise through cracking. When that happens the razor is done. Fatip's plating is fine with the exception of the gunmetal, but even the gunmetal wearing away will not compromise the razor. From my experience Fatip plating does withstand the test of time.

1980's Fatip Classic
rsz_008 (2).jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Good to see ya experimenting with the Ikon 3 slant, how do you like the Proraso Sandalwood splash?
I'm thinking of buying some on my next purchase, its a little unknown to some us.

I like the Proraso splash a good bit.

It goes just right with the Red in a tub, and sometimes with my mood or whim.

It's not my very favorite but it's good, and better than many things I've tried. Not terribly long lasting.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I like the Proraso splash a good bit.

It goes just right with the Red in a tub, and sometimes with my mood or whim.

It's not my very favorite but it's good, and better than many things I've tried. Not terribly long lasting.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I haven’t used my Proraso Red splash in awhile, but my wife found it potent for at least an hour after I used it. My only gripe with it is there’s no witch hazel component. To appease her nose, and my need for witch hazel, I’ll probably mix it in my hand with a squirt of Dickinson’s which is my usual for any splash that doesn’t have witch hazel. Didn’t have any Dickinson’s with me when I last used the Proraso Red splash, so I may give that a go with the cream tomorrow before the Fixed Four starts in earnest. I’ve been pretty consistent with my products for about a week so one minor deviation shouldn’t hurt, right? [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I haven’t used my Proraso Red splash in awhile, but my wife found it potent for at least an hour after I used it. My only gripe with it is there’s no witch hazel component. To appease her nose, and my need for witch hazel, I’ll probably mix it in my hand with a squirt of Dickinson’s which is my usual for any splash that doesn’t have witch hazel. Didn’t have any Dickinson’s with me when I last used the Proraso Red splash, so I may give that a go with the cream tomorrow before the Fixed Four starts in earnest. I’ve been pretty consistent with my products for about a week so one minor deviation shouldn’t hurt, right? [emoji23]

The Fixed Four allows endless variations in everything except razor, blade, brush, and shaving soap (or cream). Only those four things are fixed.

I will use lots of different pre and post shave stuff if and when I have the urge (which may be a lot and it may be none).

SpecialReserveMy.JPG Bay Rhum.jpg BriskSpice.jpg

If I had to use just one splash it would either be Brisk Spice or Special Reserve or my favorite Bay Rhum.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
If you've mentioned it, the idea of a Fatip Piccolo Slant, I'll bet they're researching it. Fatip is a forward looking company but they dont make changes quickly. Each change they have made has been small but an improvement.

I do not think it would be hard to design a Fatip Slant. Much of what the iKon X3 and several other slant razors have in their designs is spot on. Reverse engineer the best of the existing slants. Incorporate that stuff into a Fatip (no gap nor guard span to speak of). Bingo! Beta test it a bit (sign me up for that), refine it a smidgeon. Big seller.

I'll take three right off the top. The Fatip Gentile Slant in nickel. The Fatip Grande Slant in gold. The Fatip Piccolo Slant in nickel. Oh, and maybe the Plisson if it doesn't have nine teeth.

No, I'm not unaware of the issues. Nothing is ever as simple as some computer keyboard engineer like me might want it to be. There would be myriad issues and problems. Still, huge market. There would be zero real competition especially in their price range.

proxy.php

(Hey, Fatip, I want a check for my idea!)

Oh, the razors should start at an introductory price a dollar less than the regular Fatip counterparts, and then maybe jump to $10 more than their counterparts once the word got out.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
I do not think it would be hard to design a Fatip Slant. Much of what the iKon X3 and several other slant razors have in their designs is spot on. Reverse engineer the best of the existing slants. Incorporate that stuff into a Fatip (no gap nor guard span to speak of). Bingo! Beta test it a bit (sign me up for that), refine it a smidgeon. Big seller.

I'll take three right off the top. The Fatip Gentile Slant in nickel. The Fatip Grande Slant in gold. The Fatip Piccolo Slant in nickel. Oh, and maybe the Plisson if it doesn't have nine teeth.

No, I'm not unaware of the issues. Nothing is ever as simple as some computer keyboard engineer like me might want it to be. There would be myriad issues and problems. Still, huge market. There would be zero real competition especially in their price range.

proxy.php

(Hey, Fatip, I want a check for my idea!)

Oh, the razors should start at an introductory price a dollar less than the regular Fatip counterparts, and then maybe jump to $10 more than their counterparts once the word got out.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Yes but these are Italians. Italians do many things better than any others in the world. Michelangelo didnt paint the Sistine Chapel in a day. The best takes time and many, many, bottles of wine and quiet contemplation.

michelangelo-david-renaissance-sculpture-17.jpg

Tantum igitur perfectum.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Except me.
The street that taught Latin was across the tracks from the streets I grew up on lol.

In my rough and tumble high school the smart Catholic boys took Latin so they could understand the mass. Mass was still in Latin back then. Actually, the really smart Catholic boys took shop and mechanical drawing and math and became engineers, but I didn't know them.

I got my daughter to take Latin in high school, and bought her Rosetta Stone to help. She was able to learn a fair amount of conversational Latin, and also help herself establish a much better base for vocabulary building, understanding word origins, and such.

Had I been smart I would have been well served to have studied Latin in high school myself instead of spending years struggling with Spanish, and ending up not able to order a burrito in a Mexican restaurant. The only thing I learned in high school which I still remember was how to type.

Since then, I've learned to Google.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Except me.

In my rough and tumble high school the smart Catholic boys took Latin so they could understand the mass. Mass was still in Latin back then. Actually, the really smart Catholic boys took shop and mechanical drawing and math and became engineers, but I didn't know them.

I got my daughter to take Latin in high school, and bought her Rosetta Stone to help. She was able to learn a fair amount of conversational Latin, and also help herself establish a much better base for vocabulary building, understanding word origins, and such.

Had I been smart I would have been well served to have studied Latin in high school myself instead of spending years struggling with Spanish, and ending up not able to order a burrito in a Mexican restaurant. The only thing I learned in high school which I still remember was how to type.

Since then, I've learned to Google.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I quit school at 15 and went to work. High school wasnt working for me and I actually ended up in court over it. I refused to go and I said to the judge, "Your Honour, if I'm smarter than the teachers and I cant learn what I want too learn, I see no point and I may as well go to work." After a few minutes discussion with him, where I used the two points below as reference, he agreed and let me out a year early.

The geography teacher pointed at the African continent when he referring to Brazil on a globe. I corrected him and was chastised for it out of his own humiliation.

I had to take an "arts" class so I chose music because I wanted to play the sax. The teacher insisted I should play the trombone instead, I refused. Needless to say I didnt bother going back to either of those classes.

The only high school credit I left with was welding, which was going to be my major. Mr.Brooks was my teacher and I had missed 22 days in a row when I decided to go back. He told me I'd never catch up and not get a credit anyway so what was the point because I couldnt do it if I tried. However, he said if I did want to try, I could stay after class until caught up. So, for spite, I did. I was fully caught up in two weeks and I ended that class with a 98 average.

I only know one phrase in another language, French. "Je mal a la tete", and only because my teacher said it so often, its the only thing that stuck LOL.

That was in Grade 4 or 5, a Catholic school and we still had nun's as teachers, but not for French. I was also an alter boy for several years. You did not want to misbehave in Sister Margarets class! She was a very good teacher, but very strict. She was always prowling the aisles between desks with her hands behind her back. A wooden ruler in one and those soft silent soled shoes on lol. Quick as a cat she was...

Top Bottom