What's new

Damaskeene GEM 1912 That Doesn't Accept Modern Blades?

Hey guys,

My dad got me a Damaskeene 1912 for Christmas in beautiful original casing that is in nearly pristine shape. A great gift, right? I was going to take her out on her maiden shave but I was unable to get a standard Walgreens Gem blade to fit. I've never had this problem with any other Gems. The blade seemed to just be a tad too big.

Have you ever heard of a Damaskeene that wouldn't take standard single-edge blades or am I just doing something wrong? Thanks in advance for any help!

Nevermind, I had a chance to play around with it a bit more this evening and I found a metallic tab that was somehow pushed too far forward and was preventing the blade from loading right. I pushed it back with a screwdriver and the blade loaded perfectly. False alarm!

What a great Christmas gift! Let us know what you think of it after a couple uses. Some of us consider the Damaskeene version of the 1912 as being the best of the best.

What a great Christmas gift! Let us know what you think of it after a couple uses. Some of us consider the Damaskeene version of the 1912 as being the best of the best.

I gotta thank Hoosier for writing about the differences in these razors. :thumbup1: I now enjoy using a 1912 Damaskene and appreciate the rounded cap on this razor.

Top Bottom