What's new

Damaskeene - does it really matter?

I have a GEM Damaskeene razor that was my great-grandfather's. My grandma kept everything and now I have it. That is her handwriting noting it was her Dad's razor - Horace.

Here is what I don't know. I have read of the Damaskeene razor but this one - it just says on the inside to buy Damaskeene blades. Does that make it a "Damaskeene" razor? If so, is there really any difference between this and the same razor that does not say to buy the Damaskeene blades?

I had an amazing shave with it just this morning for the first time. Surprisingly good! But how would a similar one match up, not Damaskeene?

IMG_8248.jpeg
am

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I find my 1912 open comb a nice tame mid range with a new Gem PTFE blade the shave is excellent. Glade you keep your Great Grand fathers razor and took it out for a spin.
Here is some extra information on the razor and it was the building block razor of the Gem cutlery company(ASR). You will notice there are no drain ports on the 1912 OC and the later models improved on the design with closed comb(for strength) and feels better on the face + they added drain ports. ASR brands sold millions of the 1912 through out the decades because they where just that good razor.
american-safety-razor-dating-chart-gem-ever-ready-kampfe-star.png

Have some great shaves!

I've had several Gem Damaskeene razors. They are highly spoken of and coveted by many shavers, but frankly they were somewhat disappointing to me. They were no better in performance, or otherwise, than the regular 1912 Gem SE razor.

I suggest the name Damaskeene permanently etched on the razor as being perpetual advertising for a certain blade. That's important, as the substantive profits are in the sales of replacement blades, not so much from the razors.

Many injectors and SE razors shave me better than the Gem Damaskeene. Personally I prefer the earlier injectors, the 1914 Gem, the 1924 Ever-Ready and the Gem Micromatic OC. I'm an old guy, with tough whiskers and thin skin.

Let's see what the others will say about the desirability and performance of the Gem Damaskeene SE razor vs. the regular Gem 1912 razor. Was the Damaskeene a genuine improvement, which generated a well-earned reputation, or a slight but well-intended exaggeration?

That’s an open comb damaskeene! It’s an awesome razor and looks like it’s in great shape. It’s an early version of the 1912 as the open comb version I believe was discontinued by 1915. I can’t tell by the photo, but it likely has the curved top that was replaced by a somewhat beveled top cap. It gives great shaves and I found it to be milder than the closed comb versions I had. The Damaskeene stamping was just an advertisement for Gem blades. The modern Personna/Gem blades work just fine in the Damaskeene razors.

I have two open-comb Damaskene razors, and they both are mild shavers compared to the closed comb versions - which are also mild, just not as much. Mine have longer, hollow handles that accommodated a stropping tool; the resultant lack of weight might explain the extra mildness.

That’s an open comb damaskeene! It’s an awesome razor and looks like it’s in great shape. It’s an early version of the 1912 as the open comb version I believe was discontinued by 1915. I can’t tell by the photo, but it likely has the curved top that was replaced by a somewhat beveled top cap. It gives great shaves and I found it to be milder than the closed comb versions I had.
Here is a profile shot @Jimm99 - give me some feedback on what this means, if anything. Having shaved with it several times now I get some amazing shaves with it. Right up there with the best of the DE razors I have.

IMG_8273.jpeg

That does have the curved head and, in my opinion, it gives the finest shaves out of all the Damaskeene razors. Scott, that razor is definitely a keeper!

I don’t know when or why Gem discontinued the curved heads, but I’ll guess it was probably cancelled by 1915 and probably due to the cost of machining it. From what I’ve seen, all of the open combs had curved heads.

The first patented 1912 Gem was called the Damaskeene, it had a curved cover plate and a warning/advertisement inside the frame to only use Damaskeene blades. The original patent referred to it as being convexly-concave. After the merger in 1919 ASR dropped the Damaskeene warning/advertisement and went to a straight cover plate with a slight bevel, and the name was changed from the Gem Cutlery Company to the Gem Safety Razor Corporation. Some of the later, smaller Gem Safety Razor travel 1912's came with the curved cover plate.

I’ve used both styles quite a lot over the last 12-13 years and do believe the curved cover plate feels different than the later straight ones, maybe not necessarily better but definitely different. I don’t know if anyone knows for sure why they changed the design of the cover plate after the 1919 merger.

I truly believe the 1912 patented ASR design is the single greatest razor of all time and the early Damaskeene model is the best of the best, in my not so humble opinion of course!

Last edited:
I was tempted to get the open comb version, but there are many version across several brands. The older lather catchers look the best. I prefer the Eveready brand on the standard style. It's a deep dive once you realize how many variations were made. Flat, semi or round top cap. Open comb, closed comb with variations. They are all pretty good shavers though.

You'll find a wide range of opinions on the Damaskene safety bar and many slight variations. I have one Damaskene and many non-Damaskene 1912's. I see no significant difference in how they shave but others will say different. What you have is different than most Damaskene's, yours is a "open comb" version, which is much more rare. I have not ever shaved with the "open comb" version like you have.

Top Bottom