What's new

Daily ti shaver: Blackbird lite vs Yates 921-M vs Masamune w/ Nodachi cap

Hi all, long-time lurker but just joined Badger and Blade. @MikeFish was selling a Yates Winning ti that I couldn't resist.

Like many, I'm looking for a good everyday solution. The Yates 921-M ti and Blackbird lite ti are great, but both seem to run just a bit too hot (for me) with everyday use. I get a bit of irritation by day 3 and need to back off to something less efficient (Masamune ti, for example).

The Masamune is zero irritation all day long but (of course) not quite as efficient as I'd like. Would getting a Nodachi cap for the Masamune be a good interim step up? Or should I just stick with the Blackbird or Yates and work on my technique? Or heck, step up to the full Blackbird ti? I've been wet shaving for a few years but am certainly no expert. Still get the occasional nick if I'm stressed or not paying attention.

Of course the Winning ti arrives next week and that may solve all my problems. Darn this hobby :)

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions.

If I were seriously looking at ti razors I would strongly consider the Henson. I have their mild flavor in aluminum and love it, enough that I feel no need to upgrade to ti. Another excellent ti razor, one I actually own, is the Timeless .68 open comb.
It might be my desert island razor. I think the Timeless open comb design is best I've ever used. And their Crown handle is superb.

But seriously, wait till after the Winning razor you have on order arrives to buy another. Even if you plan to buy all the razors, it would likely be more fun if you spaced it out a bit.

I suggest concentrating on mastering the incoming Winning razor before looking at other options. One thing at a time. Of the other razors you mention, I have a titanium Masamune with a Nodachi cap. That one may hit the niche you seek as it is smooth yet efficient. I also have the stainless-steel versions of Blackbird Lite and Yates 921-M. I love my Yates. I have never gotten along well with the standard Blackbird; the Lite is better.

I don't want to complicate your life but honestly the best razors, now available, for smoothness and efficiency that I have tried are the Paradigm Ti Diamondback and the Lamda Athena. The best razors not readily available are the Paradigm 2020 Diamondback or the Charcoal Goods Everyday. Others say Wolfman WR2.

I also think a Timeless Ti with both a .68 plate and a.95 plate would be a good choice. Mine are SB. Hensons have been getting a lot of good reviews as well.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
I have the Blackbird Ti Lite and I agree with your assessment. It is way easier that the OG Bird, but, it is not even close to the smoothness of the aforementioned Athena, the 921-M (mine is stainless), or the .71 offering from Carbon. They are all very smooth but efficient for me.

Of all of them, my $0.02 is before you spend $400 on anything Ti, buy a Carbon Cx-316/Web in stainless. The webbed head and undercut handle will make it lighter than most stainless razors. I have the Ti and, while I absolutely love it, it borders on ridiculously light.

Hi all, long-time lurker but just joined Badger and Blade. @MikeFish was selling a Yates Winning ti that I couldn't resist.

Like many, I'm looking for a good everyday solution. The Yates 921-M ti and Blackbird lite ti are great, but both seem to run just a bit too hot (for me) with everyday use. I get a bit of irritation by day 3 and need to back off to something less efficient (Masamune ti, for example).

The Masamune is zero irritation all day long but (of course) not quite as efficient as I'd like. Would getting a Nodachi cap for the Masamune be a good interim step up? Or should I just stick with the Blackbird or Yates and work on my technique? Or heck, step up to the full Blackbird ti? I've been wet shaving for a few years but am certainly no expert. Still get the occasional nick if I'm stressed or not paying attention.

Of course the Winning ti arrives next week and that may solve all my problems. Darn this hobby :)

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions.

I had a Masamune with Nodachi top cap. A very well-made razor but not nearly as efficient as my Blackbird Lite. As mentioned above, take a look at the Lambda Athena.

I have the Masamune Dark (OC only) and the Nodachi (both SB and OC). The Masamune OC is slightly more blade gap than Masamune SB. I think the Masamune plate and Nodachi cap is a better fit for my face than the Masamune cap on the Nodachi plate. I wish I had the Masamune SB plate in dark - I keep watching BST but I'll probably have to wait for a sale at Tatara.

I haven't tried the Winning but the 'Merica is very efficient while still feeling really mild without irritation. The Winning and 'Merica like to be held at a steeper angle (the handle angled down more) while the Masamune/Nodachi seem to need the handle held up a little closer to perpendicular in order to get the blade on your skin - similar to a Gillette Tech.

If I were seriously looking at ti razors I would strongly consider the Henson. I have their mild flavor in aluminum and love it, enough that I feel no need to upgrade to ti. Another excellent ti razor, one I actually own, is the Timeless .68 open comb.
It might be my desert island razor. I think the Timeless open comb design is best I've ever used. And their Crown handle is superb.

But seriously, wait till after the Winning razor you have on order arrives to buy another. Even if you plan to buy all the razors, it would likely be more fun if you spaced it out a bit.
Yeah, makes sense. Much appreciated.

I have the Blackbird Ti Lite and I agree with your assessment. It is way easier that the OG Bird, but, it is not even close to the smoothness of the aforementioned Athena, the 921-M (mine is stainless), or the .71 offering from Carbon. They are all very smooth but efficient for me.

Of all of them, my $0.02 is before you spend $400 on anything Ti, buy a Carbon Cx-316/Web in stainless. The webbed head and undercut handle will make it lighter than most stainless razors. I have the Ti and, while I absolutely love it, it borders on ridiculously light.
That’s great, thank you. I didn’t have Carbon on my radar but their razors look super interesting.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Welcome to the forum!

This might give you an idea/ballpark where you are.

I don't have a Blackbird lite, I already find the normal one with the SB quite good for daily shaving. So for mild shaving needs other forum members are probably better sources of inspiration for you. I also have Tatara, but it is a Nodachi with SB and OC, no mix and match with baseplate and cap.

I agree with @Iridian about Blackbird. Have Ti original version and find it perfect daily driver. I do daily 3 passes but if I want to have relaxed shave I find perfect solution only 2 passes, WTG and ATG.

Recently use Yates 921-H and it's even more forgiving as Blackbird, probably more situated for skin friendly shave but with very good efficiency. Not sure if here 2 passes would be enough like with Blackbird.
Try to improve also other variables like skin hydration, lather preparation... Also if new in wet shaving you will see how skin adapt with time, it can takes couple months. Take your time. I spent lot money to finally understand mild razors are not good for me and they are more prompt to irritate my skin as middle or higher efficient ones..

Hello,

I have the yates 921 with the h and m plates. Owning both plates was very interesting for better understanding razors.

The yates 921 h was too much for me. It is very efficient but I found it too agressive, so I got the m plates. The thing is that I ended up with the same observation even with the m plate, I found it too agressive.

However I tried different blades and it changed a lot my perspective. The yates 921 m is not too agressive when I use a blade that works for me, the lord silver star.

What I am saying here is that maybe before considering that a razor is too agressive you should maybe experiment a little bit with various blades.

I find perfect solution only 2 passes, WTG and ATG
dean winchester good job GIF

I suggest concentrating on mastering the incoming Winning razor before looking at other options. One thing at a time. Of the other razors you mention, I have a titanium Masamune with a Nodachi cap. That one may hit the niche you seek as it is smooth yet efficient. I also have the stainless-steel versions of Blackbird Lite and Yates 921-M. I love my Yates. I have never gotten along well with the standard Blackbird; the Lite is better.

I don't want to complicate your life but honestly the best razors, now available, for smoothness and efficiency that I have tried are the Paradigm Ti Diamondback and the Lamda Athena. The best razors not readily available are the Paradigm 2020 Diamondback or the Charcoal Goods Everyday. Others say Wolfman WR2.

I also think a Timeless Ti with both a .68 plate and a.95 plate would be a good choice. Mine are SB. Hensons have been getting a lot of good reviews as well.
Have you tried the Karve Overlander? Wondering how it compares to the Paradigm Ti Diamondback. I’ve been very happy with the Overlander, smooth and efficient with really no blade feel.

Welcome to the forum @Benwustl ! Enjoy your time here. Like others mentioned it is a good idea to keep honing at your technique, but you have been doing that for some time now if I understand correctly so your skin should be adapted by now.

If the Blackbird Lite gives you hot skin by day 3, I don’t think the original will be better to your skin unless you factor in less passes because it should be more effective. They do say Ti is a consult different razor to the stainless version and I only have the stainless.

The Athena is an amazing razor accomplishing many things that puzzle us lot here (such as blade feel while the razor has neutral blade exposure). Deceptively effective razor. It is on the heavier side if that is a factor for you.

Upping the gap but reducing the positive exposure gets me to a Timeless .95 which I find to shave superbly while leaving my skin ok too (I don’t mind a little burn).

And of course excellent vintage equivalents are out there as well like the Super Speeds, the Rocket HD or your everyday Tech.

I would first keep the majority of money in my pocket and check out the other parts of the shave first such as prep, lathering, blade, and technique. Could you disclose some more about those parts perhaps? Switching to face lathering for example made a difference for me in preparing in addition to my preshave routine.

Cheers,

Guido

Have you tried the Karve Overlander? Wondering how it compares to the Paradigm Ti Diamondback. I’ve been very happy with the Overlander, smooth and efficient with really no blade feel.
I have not tried the Overlander. I keep hearing good things about it. I would like to try that one along with a Wolfman WR2 .95 SB. That said, I have a plethora of modern razors and I am in a use-what-I-have mode.

Hello,

I have the yates 921 with the h and m plates. Owning both plates was very interesting for better understanding razors.

The yates 921 h was too much for me. It is very efficient but I found it too agressive, so I got the m plates. The thing is that I ended up with the same observation even with the m plate, I found it too agressive.

However I tried different blades and it changed a lot my perspective. The yates 921 m is not too agressive when I use a blade that works for me, the lord silver star.

What I am saying here is that maybe before considering that a razor is too agressive you should maybe experiment a little bit with various blades.
This is an excellent point. Experimenting with blades is something I am now doing. Specifically, I am now seeing what a Bic Chrome Platinum, a very sharp blade, does in my Timeless Ti .68 SB, a relatively mild razor. If you have good technique and good equipment, you can really tune your shaving experience by your choice of a blade.

Welcome to the forum @Benwustl ! Enjoy your time here. Like others mentioned it is a good idea to keep honing at your technique, but you have been doing that for some time now if I understand correctly so your skin should be adapted by now.

If the Blackbird Lite gives you hot skin by day 3, I don’t think the original will be better to your skin unless you factor in less passes because it should be more effective. They do say Ti is a consult different razor to the stainless version and I only have the stainless.

The Athena is an amazing razor accomplishing many things that puzzle us lot here (such as blade feel while the razor has neutral blade exposure). Deceptively effective razor. It is on the heavier side if that is a factor for you.

Upping the gap but reducing the positive exposure gets me to a Timeless .95 which I find to shave superbly while leaving my skin ok too (I don’t mind a little burn).

And of course excellent vintage equivalents are out there as well like the Super Speeds, the Rocket HD or your everyday Tech.

I would first keep the majority of money in my pocket and check out the other parts of the shave first such as prep, lathering, blade, and technique. Could you disclose some more about those parts perhaps? Switching to face lathering for example made a difference for me in preparing in addition to my preshave routine.

Cheers,

Guido
Super helpful. Yeah, I just watched another Kevy Shaves video and my lather is nowhere near that good. Better than it used to be, but I can step it up.

I've been face lathering, using mostly Noble Otter soaps the past few months. I generally try to shower before shaving but regardless always prep with Ach Brito pre-shave soap beforehand. That seems to work better for me than the pre-shave oils I've tried in the past.

I'll work on building up a better lather as a good next step. Kevy has clearly shown me the way! :)

Hello,

Super helpful, and thank you. So many variables to this stuff...

Top Bottom