What's new

D.I.Y corner show me your creations

I posted some pictures last week with my not finished starter shave den, and thanks to my FIL's efforts and craftsmanship, its finally finished. It even leaves a little room to grow with the option of adding dowels on the side for razors or brushes should my RAD/BAD get worse (though I doubt that it can).
$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg

I posted some pictures last week with my not finished starter shave den, and thanks to my FIL's efforts and craftsmanship, its finally finished. It even leaves a little room to grow with the option of adding dowels on the side for razors or brushes should my RAD/BAD get worse (though I doubt that it can).
View attachment 307179View attachment 307178View attachment 307177

Wow! She really is a beauty! Especially love how the ends of the shelves are so much lighter than the rest, kinda reminds me of spats shoes...in reverse...well I still like it :D

Thanks guys, I'll have to let him know that others approve, he said he was just piddling around and that he was just. Happy that its functional lol. I told him he needs to go into business. This is just scrap wood that he had lying around the garage! I can only imagine what he could do with some specialty grade.

When I asked him if he would mind building something for all of my shave stuff, I had no idea it would turn out this well. I almost look forward to expanding so that we can build a matching piece to house it lol

My FIL said that he might be interested in building some for sale as a kit, finished or unfinished all you would have to do is screw it together. If there is any interest, I may move this to the vendor thread.

Thanks guys, I'll have to let him know that others approve, he said he was just piddling around and that he was just. Happy that its functional lol. I told him he needs to go into business. This is just scrap wood that he had lying around the garage! I can only imagine what he could do with some specialty grade.
1+ on that should do custom work as that is beautiful peace of work esp out of scrap wood : O

Well, Soldierdan is a tough act to follow, but this is my simple solution for hanging my shave brush. Whereas many guys like to display their equipment on razor stands and open shelves and whatnot, I prefer less clutter in the bathroom. Nevertheless, I needed a place to hang my brush to dry, so I came up with a magnetic holder to attach it to the underside of my cabinet.

I press fit a small rare earth magnet into a countersink that I drilled into the back of my brush, and covered it with a touch of epoxy (the clear epoxy fills to the top of the countersink hole, so the back surface of the brush is continuously smooth):
$IMG_1151.jpg

For the holder, I discovered that I couldn't just glue another magnet directly to the surface of the cabinet because the back of the brush was slightly concave (like many brushes), which kept the magnet in the brush too far removed from the cabinet surface to get a strong magnetic attraction. So I epoxied another magnet to the end of a small wooden dowel, which I press fit into a hole that I drilled on the underside of the cabinet (viewed from below):
$plug.jpg

The dowel protrudes just enough to bring the two magnets in contact when the back of the brush sits flush with the underside of the cabinet. Nice and clean:
$IMG_1149.jpg

I can easily hang the brush without paying much attention, or bothering to look under the cabinet, since the receiving magnet snaps the brush into place when the magnets are in vicinity. Works great! The rest of my gear (razors, cream, blades, etc.) just sits on a shelf in the cabinet.

Well, Soldierdan is a tough act to follow, but this is my simple solution for hanging my shave brush. Whereas many guys like to display their equipment on razor stands and open shelves and whatnot, I prefer less clutter in the bathroom. Nevertheless, I needed a place to hang my brush to dry, so I came up with a magnetic holder to attach it to the underside of my cabinet.

I press fit a small rare earth magnet into a countersink that I drilled into the back of my brush, and covered it with a touch of epoxy (the clear epoxy fills to the top of the countersink hole, so the back surface of the brush is continuously smooth):
View attachment 308162

For the holder, I discovered that I couldn't just glue another magnet directly to the surface of the cabinet because the back of the brush was slightly concave (like many brushes), which kept the magnet in the brush too far removed from the cabinet surface to get a strong magnetic attraction. So I epoxied another magnet to the end of a small wooden dowel, which I press fit into a hole that I drilled on the underside of the cabinet (viewed from below):
View attachment 308168

The dowel protrudes just enough to bring the two magnets in contact when the back of the brush sits flush with the underside of the cabinet. Nice and clean:
View attachment 308169

I can easily hang the brush without paying much attention, or bothering to look under the cabinet, since the receiving magnet snaps the brush into place when the magnets are in vicinity. Works great! The rest of my gear (razors, cream, blades, etc.) just sits on a shelf in the cabinet.

Ive seen something like this before, and the idea is intriguing. I thought about doing it on my shelves that I built, but it would have killed the space for everything else. Looks awesome though.

Ive seen something like this before, and the idea is intriguing. I thought about doing it on my shelves that I built, but it would have killed the space for everything else. Looks awesome though.

Looking back at your shelf (beautiful, by the way!), I totally agree that hanging your brushes in slots on the lip of each shelf, the way you've done it, is best for maximizing usable space. It still allows you to access and store stuff on both the above and below shelf space. Plus, it brings the brushes out from the more enclosed space within, probably allowing them to dry faster.

Thanks, I really like the way it turned out. The only downside to keeping the height at 18 inches is that if I want something out of the back, I have to move a brush. Other than that I have no complaints. 3 useable shelves plus 8 brush slots, and 13 holes for razors. Also thinking about drilling into the sides and adding some dowels to expand the number of brushes or razors it can hold. But for now I'm using it as a "don't buy anything else" guide lol

Top Bottom