What's new

Cutting the cord

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I don't have near the internet speed or data allowance to do Netflix or others of that type, and I'm too far from any broadcast stations to use an antenna for TV reception, so the only thing I'd have is the Dallas newspaper that I could pick up at the rural, corner store here or the local newspaper which is not enough to line a birdcage with and they charge as much as the Dallas paper.

If I cut out the fees for the satellite internet and TV the only thing I'd have available would be the radio and newspapers. That may not be such a bad thing.

I can get Dallas and local radio stations at home, even on an old portable radio I have from the '60s, and the car radios receive signals great...my truck radio even gets Dallas when I'm about 300 miles away.

Last edited:

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
If you cut the fees for internet, you would save some money.

My internet service costs me $50.99 every month.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
What.....are you intending to have no internet at all? That would be a big shock to my world but would adjust if needed. Banking online, B&B, working after hours from home......hold on, I can see some merit in it already.

What else does a man need? A morning paper, an evening paper, a pipe...and a few hours with the wireless.
I was always partial to Johnny Dollar, Inner Sanctum, Baby Snooks and Mercury Theatre myself...

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’ve tried this numerous times. Unsuccessful every time. The damn TV lures me in. Plus I gotta have cable because the roommates demand it. If I lived alone I would just have internet. But even then I’d have Netflix, Prime, HBO, etc. I just can’t shake my TV addiction!!

Legion

Staff member
If it were me I would cut out everything except internet. If you are in the USA there must be a better internet option, even if it costs a bit more, and all the other things can be found there.

Australia has pretty poor internet, for a developed country, but I still rely on it for most of my media and information

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Cable internet isn’t bad. But if you are on satellite you might as well call it dial up.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I don't watch any TV on the internet, but I could not do without the internet for this site, the usual selling site and all other selling sites. I just could not do it now. I can remember when the internet didn't exist and got by. I don't think that I could get by now. We have to choose who to go with, with the new National Broadband Network now in our area. I have not heard too many good stories without doing some line upgrades in the home.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I couldn't get by without high speed internet, it is critical for my business. My parents live 'in the sticks' and have satellite internet, painfully slow...

Not really cutting the cord, but we went full streaming for TV just a week ago. Spectrum app gives us local channels (including PBS, yay!), premium channels like HBO, Starz, Showtime, etc. plus cloud DVR. Their package is cheaper than our previous Dish with better options, for us. Still getting used to the new system but so far so good.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I only use Cable internet, I have Sling TV and Netflix and Oma (internet home phone) and Prime. Yeah we still have a home phone. the phone is only $3 to$5 a month and works flawless. Sling TV has a good selection of channels and is responsibley priced.
And we get local channels with a over air antenna. We are under$100 a month.
I could cut out Prime and Sling TV and Netflix and be happy with just the HS internet.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Dude. Do not leave me here alone with these weirdos on B&B. Keep your internet. I'll start passing the hat if I have to!

I don't have near the internet speed or data allowance to do Netflix or others of that type, and I'm too far from any broadcast stations to use an antenna for TV reception...
I can't believe you're too far away to pick up television stations. I can pick up stations over sixty miles away, and there are high powered aerials that claim over 100. Texas is pretty flat so it's ideal for long distance transmissions. There may even be/should have been/used to be rural boosters. Check with your local Tandy stockist, or look up Channelmaster or Winegard on the Web. You may not get as many channels as you'd like, though...

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I can't believe you're too far away to pick up television stations. I can pick up stations over sixty miles away, and there are high powered aerials that claim over 100. Texas is pretty flat so it's ideal for long distance transmissions. There may even be/should have been/used to be rural boosters. Check with your local Tandy stockist, or look up Channelmaster or Winegard on the Web. You may not get as many channels as you'd like, though...

Thanks. I live in a heavily wooded, hilly area and the closest broadcast stations are 80 to 100 miles away.

We're not that weird! True, we ask for bathroom pics of your stash, how often you shave, what cologne you like....oh, wait a minute. This does sound weird! :blink:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
How well is your cell service? One option is using your phone as a hotspot. For just a quick internet browse you won’t use that much data. I had to do it for a bit

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
How well is your cell service? One option is using your phone as a hotspot. For just a quick internet browse you won’t use that much data. I had to do it for a bit

I went through three cell phone services before I found one that was reliable out here. Sprint would be staticy and drop calls, and so would the U.S. Cellular that wife's work gives her. The Verizon cell phone and a mobile hotspot unit I got both would always say "no service available" when at home, and it would also do it a bit when I was closer to a city. The AT&T phone always works well wherever I am, even though I hate AT&T.

The satellite tv and internet have been cutting out from time to time the last couple of days, and it's not even cloudy. I used the cell phone hotspot a bit the last couple of days. And we're not getting CBS right now, supposedly due to a contract dispute between DirecTV and U-Verse.

Sherman stations are closest at about 80 miles, and Dallas is 100 miles away. There is an electronics shop where we got our two-way radios for the cars at the P.D. so I might stop by and talk to them. This antenna looks interesting...if it lives up to the hype.

https://www.amazon.com/ViewTV-Outdo.../B017JEF126/?tag=10bestlongrangetvantennas-20

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I wouldn’t mind being that far out. But to hell with going without a fast reliable internet.

When I lived in FL the Internet was slow and always having outages. In one month, we had 15 outages of at least two hours. The cable selection on our package was good and priced right. I moved to AZ and we have very fast Internet, few outages, and the cable package is expensive as is the total package. My next-door neighbor has satellite and although it is cheaper is always giving him grief. Another neighbor has an elaborate setup but you need to be an engineer to configure it. All to save $50 a month.

Top Bottom