What's new

Cut Advice

Two days ago, I messed up at the end of my shave by hitting my middle finger on the toe of my straight razor.
Bleeding was quickly controlled. Wound was disinfected and then antibiotic cream was applied. Have been using
a bandage to try and press the cut together so the seam won't show after healing.

I keep the bandage on for about 12 hours and then take it off to air the wound for a few hours. I've also kept the 'finger
100% dry. Please have a look at the damage and let me know if you think this would need stitches...and if so, can I still do
this 48 hours after the cut. FWIW, the cut looks very benign now...not as red, no pain but I am concerned that the cut won't close
up fully, if left to its own devices. I thought Id check here first before going to see a doctor.

Cut.JPG

Looks like it should heal OK on its own, but I am not a doctor. It wouldn't hurt to have a doctor or nurse take a look, just to be certain.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

No point in stitching that, its already closed.
Keeping it closed will be the big job. A steri-strip or similar I would leave on for a good while till you're sure it won't open again

You can also use New Skin or some other skin adhesive. It's basically super glue. I've used it for cuts like this before and it works about as well as anything I've tried. If you apply it right it'll stay on for at least several days and holds the edges together at least as well as a butterfly bandage.

I was going to suggest superglue. It's really nice for fingers because they see a lot of movement.

Good that a butterfly kept it closed, and for that very reason, I have two fingers programmed into my phone and laptop haha!

Always keep the band aid on unless it become wet or the gauze pad become saturated. Change it whenever it does. Wounds actually need moisture to heal and leaving it to air out can dry out the new surface cells forming...YMMV of course

Always keep the band aid on unless it become wet or the gauze pad become saturated. Change it whenever it does. Wounds actually need moisture to heal and leaving it to air out can dry out the new surface cells forming...YMMV of course

This is true for cuts and burns. A lot of people think they need to "air out" their wounds. This is a bad idea. Wounds should stay moist and covered. Uncovered leads to the wound drying out which promotes scab formation which promotes scar tissue and slows healing. Just wash the wound with soap and water and re-cover with a fresh bandage as necessary. The wounded area is receiving all of the oxygen that it needs from that which is dissolved in your blood. On a related note, don't pop burn blisters. The fluid inside the blister is full of all kinds of stuff to fight infections and begin the healing process. Cushion and cover the blister and keep it in tact the best you can for speedier healing.

To the OP - Your wound looks like it is starting to heal nicely. I don't think stitches are necessary either. The pads of your fingers recover very quickly from injury generally speaking.

Tape and a piece of a paper has always been enough for me(put a little more preassure on the sides so the wound closes), even a deep cut on the finger with a straight is a clean cut that heals fairly easaly, or has been atleast in my cases.
I bet that will heal just fine on its own.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Looks like there is no inflammation, so little chance of infection. Keep it moist and covered and clean.

Just a real bad place my friend! Ouch.

Usually past 24 hours no stitches as the skin edges start granulating in and it won't heal well. There are medical adhesives that work pretty well, they are basically sterile crazy glue.

All bleeding eventually stops, either by coagulation or lack of pulse pressure.

All wounds heal, either by primary or secondary intention.

With any cuts the key is to hold pressure to stop the bleeding (5 minutes is the minimum), then as long as infection does not set in in the wound will heal.

But it needs to be said

proxy.php

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Usually past 24 hours no stitches as the skin edges start granulating in and it won't heal well. There are medical adhesives that work pretty well, they are basically sterile crazy glue.

All bleeding eventually stops, either by coagulation or lack of pulse pressure.

All wounds heal, either by primary or secondary intention.

With any cuts the key is to hold pressure to stop the bleeding (5 minutes is the minimum), then as long as infection does not set in in the wound will heal.

But it needs to be said

proxy.php
Yes it did!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Two days ago, I messed up at the end of my shave by hitting my middle finger on the toe of my straight razor.
Bleeding was quickly controlled. Wound was disinfected and then antibiotic cream was applied. Have been using
a bandage to try and press the cut together so the seam won't show after healing.

I keep the bandage on for about 12 hours and then take it off to air the wound for a few hours. I've also kept the 'finger
100% dry. Please have a look at the damage and let me know if you think this would need stitches...and if so, can I still do
this 48 hours after the cut. FWIW, the cut looks very benign now...not as red, no pain but I am concerned that the cut won't close
up fully, if left to its own devices. I thought Id check here first before going to see a doctor.

View attachment 1045770
I think I’ve got you beat. A few days ago, I reached in the “razor” drawer and grabbed a fistful of razors. Apparently, one was open a bit and cut through the nail on my little finger and then into the quick. I never cut my face but my fingers have suffered honing mishaps but this one really hurt.

Top Bottom