What's new

Custom Straight Razor artisans.

Hello gents,

I was looking around at custom razor makers.
Even contacted 2 of them. Jerry Stark, who strongly specified he won't do anything outside his box. And zowada who apparently doesn't make customs anymore.
Maybe someone could help me find an artisan who would do little bit of extra smithery.

I want a good quality blade, that's a given. No fancy serations or spine works or w/e. Smiling near wedge with a baber notch and rounded ends. 7/8.
Scale wise is where it hurts. I want a tainted hardwood scale with brass hardware. The usual shape of a Thiers-Issard (simple flat scale with triangular ends). But i would like a brass cap at the ends like you would see on old Solingens. No fancy caps, just a flat cap with 2 prongs or something.

Anyone could give me an idea where to start?
At this point i'd be ready to order scales and blade seperatedly if it came to it.

Thanks for your time,
Benoit.

Koraat would be my choice I had one custom made and very happy with it..

20180714_122408.jpg

Home

Worth sending him a mail.....

I did contact the guys at Koraat, and got a complete opposite response. He agreed to do it and even laid out my options i didn't think about. Speaking of which, anyone with a Koraat honed them?

They have 4 types of steel as i understand it, sheffield standard, 1.2842, 1.2510 or 1.2210.
The standard steel is the base price but the others are almost double the price of the razor.
So basically i'm asking if anyone has experience honing those different steel.

Thanks,
Benoit.

I own several Koraats made with their standard silver steel .I find them fairly easy to hone .The quality of the grind is excellent and hold an edge for a long time .They shave great .You will not be disappointed in their product .Good luck with the tough choices .If it were me I would just get the silver steel and save some money .I do not think shave quality will change by a noticeable factor with the different steels .I think the type of finishing stones would be more of an impact on edge quality .

Thanks for your input and duely noted.

And i agree the shave itself is more of a honing and stroping job razor wise.
Maybe i'll try a different steel another time.

Benoit

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've already bought the last thing.

No, I can't even count how many times.

I'm convinced I'm the only one.

Happy shaves,

Jim

yeaaaah kinda hard to resist the temptation to have a brand new blade with your favorite features.
And yes L.A. Jones i feel you. I've told that to myself too many times these last months. Oh welll...

I did contact the guys at Koraat, and got a complete opposite response. He agreed to do it and even laid out my options i didn't think about. Speaking of which, anyone with a Koraat honed them?

They have 4 types of steel as i understand it, sheffield standard, 1.2842, 1.2510 or 1.2210.
The standard steel is the base price but the others are almost double the price of the razor.
So basically i'm asking if anyone has experience honing those different steel.

Thanks,
Benoit.

I have a Koraat and they are very easy to hone. He has a configurator on his site which is very handy when you want a new razor.
He finishes his razors on a Naniwa 10k and then strops on a strop with crox. For the 5/8 and 6/8 models he makes he uses Ballbearing steel (DIN 1.3505) and for the 7/8 and 8/8 he uses Silversteel (DIN 1.2210)
The silver steel he uses is one of the best steels in the market for straight razors. See also here for more information:
This is my razor by the way

Last edited:
I first tried to contact B.Brown, never had any reply.
I'm deffinitely gonna have more razor made though.
I'm currently waiting for my Koraat to be finished, it has a few intricacies.
Blade is fairly classic, scales not so much.
Loved the clear exchange and understanding of my needs by Ulrik, great guy.
Can't wait to get some pictures to share, and more importantly, a fresh blade to hone and shave with.

Benoit

Top Bottom