What's new

Curious about your bad choices

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I can't recall them all, but one early "there goes $.35 I'll never get back" blend (this was the '70s after all) was the pouch of Paladin I bought, the first and last time I tried a cherry I forward blend. Awful stuff.

I tried Erinmore and threw it out, same with Grousemoor. Lucky I tested them in a cob or I'd have had to chuck the pipes too.

And don't get me started on Mixture No. 79.....
Paladin is pretty gross. It's not bad as a very slight addition to another codger blend, but on its own... Nope.
It's kind of like the analogy @Price made about 5100 and some other tobaccos blended, or saying "These bugs don't taste bad when you wrap them in bacon". Why not just eat the bacon?

Erinmore... meh. I like Grousemoor.
I knew that Mixture 79 was going to make a showing here. I'm morbidly curious about such a roundly disliked product!

Sutliff makes one.

YQRBW3HAUEI6LPKD4XUEIAJMOY.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The worst of the worst, was 1792 Flake. That stuff is gruesome. There was some aged Burley (?) thing, I think. I can't remember if it was one of the HH MacB's, or Solani, but it tasted like mud with diesel in. Not as bad as 1792, but pretty damn grim.

Anything with "too much" Lacackia... Nightcap springs to mind... is utterly unsmokable for me. In fact, I would say "too much" is anything more than Squadron Leader. Dark fired can be the same if It's from Burley, but I'm OK with dark fired Virginias. Lacackia is worse than dark fired though. As can be seen by me not having to tweak the name of dark fired to emphasise how bad it is...

Honourable mention goes to Royal Yacht, with that repugnant topping while fresh. I do have some ageing, but will only open that (and two Nightcap clones I mistakenly bought), if I live long enough to smoke everything else first, and other tobacco sales have been completely abolished. Hopefully, they'll be tolerable by then.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
There have been 3 blends that I’ve questioned why I got it after trying it. 2 are Lane Limited blends and for the most part are the same thing. In the LL realm, it was the Captain Black Black Seas tin or BS-005 as a bulk of the same blend. Yeah, that turned me off to Latakia blends for the most part although I’ve tried a couple Lat blends now that have made me reconsider.

The 3rd one was Davidoff’s Argentina aromatic. I got a pouch at a duty free shop on South Korea a few years back. Sadly, I have no idea how long the pouch was in the shop, but when. I tried it the blend had a very strong chemical taste. Just wasn’t pleasant.

I still have all three blends jarred up. Maybe they’ll even out with a bit of time.

The first pipe tobacco I purchased back in 1972 was Paladin Black Cherry. That decision nearly derailed my future pipe smoking. My ignorance of proper technique undoubtedly contributed to my horrible experience, but I’ve not given Paladin a second chance, or any other goopy aro for that matter. High quality aros I’ll smoke occasionally, but not often.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I'm with Kent on Autumn Evening. Blechh.

I also really did not enjoy 1792, which is pretty well-loved.

You still have a couple tins cellared tho, right? Or was that sample you sent me years ago the last of it you had?

I generally view all of my bad choices as a learning experience.

Early on, I bought pouches of many "Codger" blends that seemed popular and were easy to find locally, with many being aromatics. I've settled on a favorite - Prince Albert, and rotate that with an occasional bulk or tinned aromatic.

All that to say: the only tobaccos that I purchased, and don't like (but plan to revisit at some point) are Half & Half and Mixture 79. Not crazy about SWRA either.

Again, no regrets, just a continuing journey to discover what I like.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Everyone is different, but some of the worst blends I've had are some of the beloved Boswell's blends--Christmas Cookie, Cupcake, Boswell's Best, etc. They just taste like hot steam to me and I don't get any flavor, any nicotine, or any enjoyment out of them.

Everyone is different, but some of the worst blends I've had are some of the beloved Boswell's blends--Christmas Cookie, Cupcake, Boswell's Best, etc. They just taste like hot steam to me and I don't get any flavor, any nicotine, or any enjoyment out of them.
But that Northwoods though.......

Top Bottom