What's new

Curious about your bad choices

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
A lot of threads and posts about favorite tobaccos here, but not much in the way of "OMG, I'll never smoke THAT again!".
One man's trash is another man's treasure and all, so I realize it's purely subjective.
What tobacco have you tried which you do not intend to try again, and why?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
As a whole I like pretty much any blend commercially available. The only one I really can’t stand is Autumn Evening. It’s a mild maple syrup aromatic that just tastes metallic and chemicalish.

I can handle Macbaren "bite" with no problem, but just about any Stokkebye Aromatic tears me up. Same with the old classic, Velvet. I usually like the flavor, but within just a few minutes of smoking my mouth is on fire with them.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I've found almost everything I've tried, to be at least tolerable.
I had an issue with the 2021 Cringle Cake, but I now suspect that it was my newness to the hobby, and my inexperience with Perique heavy blends.
My palate has improved and I'm looking forward to trying it again in December.
I initially found Glass Slipper to be very bitey, but I tried a bowl yesterday that I had forgotten about in a pocket tin, and it was pretty dry. However, on smoking it anyway, I found it to be quite enjoyable and didn't have any bite at all - so again, it was user not product.

Match Prince Albert and the white burley I picked up at the local B & M were both far too strong for me. I'll use them again in mixes; I already have worked the MPA into a blend with Luxury Twist Flake.

The only one that has actively made me ill was Peterson Sherlock Holmes. Never again.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
When I first started, it was buy/try everything. So, I have a lot of "one tin wonders" in small mason jars that I didn't enjoy so much, and I'll possibly never finish off. But none of them were truly horrible and as tastes change and technique improves over time, who knows what may be better tolerated? I'm a lightweight when it comes to nicotine, and Petersons Perfect Plug made me so nic sick that I had to go to bed. Don't know if I'll ever have the courage or curiosity to try it again! I didn't really like My Mixture 965 when I first tried it, but I like many other English blends. So, I'm going to revisit it in the near future and see if my tastes have changed or my technique has improved enough to make any difference.

Last edited:
I learned early on that I can't smoke aros. Seems everyone I tried was like pure acid in my mouth. The only English blend I couldn't handle was Dunhill Standard Mixture. Made me sick at my stomach.

Pease's Jackknife Plug was a bit too much for me. It took a bit to figure out how to deal with the plug cut, but the taste and plug was a bit too much.

I am not a fan of straight black cavendish in a bowl. But I hesitate to mention that as it's supposed to be a blending tobacco, an ingredient rather than the meal.

Pease's Jackknife Plug was a bit too much for me. It took a bit to figure out how to deal with the plug cut, but the taste and plug was a bit too much.

I am not a fan of straight black cavendish in a bowl. But I hesitate to mention that as it's supposed to be a blending tobacco, an ingredient rather than the meal.
I used to smoke that straight black cavendish from Tinder Box back in my early piping days. Now I know why I could never seem to keep it lit: It's hard to dry out.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I haven't found anything that I would consider a bad choice, but there are definitely blends that I smoked more of earlier on. Lane 1Q is a good example. The only time I smoke 1Q anymore is when I'm around people (my wife) that don't appreciate the smell of a good English blend.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I learned early on that I can't smoke aros. Seems everyone I tried was like pure acid in my mouth. The only English blend I couldn't handle was Dunhill Standard Mixture. Made me sick at my stomach.
I've been wanting to try that Standard mixture.

Actually, it was Jackknife Plug that made me so nic sick, not 3P! But 3P was a close second IIRC.
I've got JKP lined up for tomorrow!

I'm with Kent on Autumn Evening. Blechh.

I also really did not enjoy 1792, which is pretty well-loved.
Yeah, the maple syrup thing sounds disgusting. I do love the 1792 though!

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I'll smoke anything. Then again, I like lawnmower beer. The ones I like, I smoke often and stock deep. The ones I like less, I set aside for my son, who loves them at the price.

My only caveat is the Rolaids Line. If it causes me a Rolaids afterwards, then it goes to the back of the cellar for a while to reflect on its bad behavior. But it eventually gets freed from tobacco detention at some later date.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Autumn Evening was a disappointment, much better tin note than taste.
When deciding on a purchase, I generally take the opinions of guys here who seem to like similar blends.
I try to avoid most "food" flavored blends, like cherry, maple syrup, candy corn and...
grape 🤮
Rum, hot cocoa, and that sort of thing isn't an absolute no - but it's not on my short list.
If there ever is a "Pumpkin Spice" tobacco, I suggest a lynch mob is the only option.

I can't recall them all, but one early "there goes $.35 I'll never get back" blend (this was the '70s after all) was the pouch of Paladin I bought, the first and last time I tried a cherry I forward blend. Awful stuff.

I tried Erinmore and threw it out, same with Grousemoor. Lucky I tested them in a cob or I'd have had to chuck the pipes too.

And don't get me started on Mixture No. 79.....

Top Bottom