What's new

Croap vs Stick vs Triple Milled: A Preference Poll...

Which Soap Form Factor do you Prefer?

• Croap

Votes: 35 26.9%
  • Shave Stick

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • Triple Milled

Votes: 65 50.0%
  • Creams

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Non Triple Milled Puck

Votes: 10 7.7%

• Total voters
I voted triple milled because.....SV.

And I can't forget to mention Fine Accoutrements too...

I have used some excellent croaps for sure, and the Speick stick is wonderful, but my triple milled soaps are my favorites.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

At the risk of seeming like a dunce, what's SV?

I judge a soap, not by it's density but by it's performance. I've tried Dr. Harris and Tabac, great soaps but performance I find is no better than Cella but a bit better than VDH. Lately I have settled to 3-4 soaps, kilo of Cella (on my third kilo), Arko stick shaved and bowl pressed, Van Der Hagan Deluxe. and a kilo Vito's Red w coco. These soaps are great performers and as a bonus, easy on the budget One of these days I'll go back to using just one soap, but it's too hard to choose just one of the 4.

I'm actually keen to try this too. I was kidding about the pasta making stuff above, but I'm guessing I can really speed up the drying time just by putting a tub of Cella on a piece of wax paper and rolling it out to 1/4" thick with a rolling pin. Next, roll it up into a "jello" roll with the wax paper still affixed to keep things tidy and stick it a drawer. Anything that increases the surface area exposed to air will help. Probably some scent loss involved, but it's a compromise I'm willing to make.

I'm sure just leaving the lid off for a few months will get the job done too, but I'm curious to see how much I can expedite the process. I love the croap selection available to us these days, but I like firmer soap for making shave sticks. :)
Keep in mind that increasing the surface area/volume ratio will also increase the rate at which you lose the fragrance, and fragrances are typically more volatile than water.

Keep in mind that increasing the surface area/volume ratio will also increase the rate at which you lose the fragrance, and fragrances are typically more volatile than water.

I'm not too worried about that. It's a tradeoff I'm willing to make in the name of science.

My larger concern is what my wife will do if she catches me milling Cella in the pasta maker... 😋

One day, I'm sure the bowl lathering bug will bite me, but until then, I'm really happy with a shave den full of sticks. :)
What is this "bowl lathering" you speak of? I've only ever shaved my face. Why in heaven's name would I shave a bowl? :001_unsur

... and as you already know, I'm a croap man. :001_tt2:

Favorite modern soap by far is Speick stick... but only because they don't offer it in a triple milled puck form. If they did, I'd use that over it (assuming cost was ~=)... so I voted triple milled. (Speick shaving bowl is a different soap from the stick).

Why every single person doesn't use shave sticks is beyond me.

I'd be more prone to use shave sticks if they were all in that nice fat format of the Tabac and former Irische Moos stick. That's a nice stick to apply to my face. I think I'd still prefer loading the brush and face lathering, but it'd be much closer.

With the little <1" diameter cylinders that most shave sticks come in...often just wrapped in paper or foil? No thanks... mash those right into a bowl.

Why every single person doesn't use shave sticks is beyond me.
Same here. One day, I'm sure the bowl lathering bug will bite me, but until then, I'm really happy with a shave den full of sticks. :)
What is this "bowl lathering" you speak of? I've only ever shaved my face. Why in heaven's name would I shave a bowl? :001_unsur

... and as you already know, I'm a croap man. :001_tt2:
I often say that the first time that I used a soap as a stick and face lathered... was the day after the last time that I used a bowl.

Nearly 100 votes cast, and croap has narrowed the lead considerably, but 3x milled is still ahead by a healthy margin.

Who would've thunk it?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I guess I like what I like. I'm not a fan of sticks in general, simply because I don't like rubbing soap on my face. Hard soaps are probably my favorite, but really I like any soap that I like. If it's a stick like La Toja or Speick I grate it and pack it in a mug. (As fast as @FarmerTan can make sticks, I can make them into mug soap. LOL) I have some of every format that I like, but my favorites tend to be hard soaps, be they milled or just dried for long periods of time such as MdC.

50% of people prefer tripple milled soaps.

90% of the talk is about artisan croaps

Also, why artisans don't make tripple milled variants?

Ironically, I enjoy both hard soaps and shaving creams from tubes. It's those croaps in the middle that I dislike. 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom