What's new

Crabtree & Evelynn Sandalwood ??

Hi!
My name is Peter, and I am quite new to this forum.
I have been using "Art of shaving" stuff for a while and are very satisfied with that product.

I just bought Crabtree & Evelynn Sandalwood shaving soap, and rushed home to tried it. Soaped up and started to shave, hmm felt strange and not to good, I thought maybe a bad blade... Tried a second time 2 days later with a new blade and my face felt like :eek: , well I don't know, not comfortable at all, it stings and hurts. Not that nice feeling I get with "Art of shaving".
Now the question.
Does anyone had the same experience?
Any suggestion of nice soaps to buy?
Thanks for a very nice forum, and an excellent site for info.
Regards Peter

Hi Peter. Welcome to B&B. I have not tried the C&E soaps. I have some of their shave creams and they are excellent. As far as quality soaps, I have used Floris, Trumpers, DR Harris, QED and Saint Charles.

I would recommend trying QED and/or Saint Charles. Both are reasonably priced. Good luck.

Too bad that the C&E Sandalwood disagrees with you Peter. I have used it for years without any ill effect. As a matter of fact, I have C&E's Sandalwood, Sienna, and Nomad soaps and creams and find them to provide excellent, close-cutting, lather. That is not to mention their delightful fragrance. There are a large number of fish in the ocean though, and I am sure you will find some to your liking.

Welcome Peter, this is THE place to be. You've just found one of the interesting features about wetshaving. Not all folks like or can use all products - many love sandalwood, I dislike the scent myself so I never use it. It sounds like you had a bad reaction to it so, I'd stay away. Some folks have had reactions to lime scented creams and soaps, I love them and they don't bother me. Unfortunatley this is one area where you have to find your own way.

Good hunting - it's the fun part :thumbup:

Sorry to hear of your bad experience with C & E Sandalwood. It's one of my all time favorite soaps. It gives me nothing but pleasure every time I use it.

Like today! :wink:

I would take it back to the store where you purchased it from and swap to either another Sandalwood or another scent altogether.

I use the C&E Sandalwood soap about twice a week. I love the stuff....but I didnt at first.

If it is your fist soap, as this was for me, give it some time...I didnt get superb shaves at first but then figured it out. Bottom line, I love the stuff.

There is a little bit of a learning curve switching from cream to soap. By the way, my first creams were AOS too. So, you are following my footsteps.

Give it some time....its good stuff.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I think the C&E sandalwood soap is a very good, but not great soap. It does have a lovely fragrance, and provides a more than decent lather and shave. I don't think it can match the QED's (or, for that matter, the Willi G.) for closeness of shave, and, overall, it's not in the same league as, say, a Harris, T&H, or Trumper soap. Still, it's no slouch. I find it to be a particularly good deal- around $8 for a cake that lasts a very long time. Most of the big boys will run you double that.

Hi again!
Thank's for the replys!
I'm still in the beginning of the learning curve, :blushing: it seems that I did apply to much pressure on the DE, tried just 5 minutes ago, and did'nt use much pressure at all. Very smooth and nice. It's fun to learn new things every day!! :tongue_sm

I live in Sweden and it's really impossible to find some good shaving stuff.
Talk to you guys later!
Regards Peter

ouch said:
I think the C&E sandalwood soap is a very good, but not great soap. It does have a lovely fragrance, and provides a more than decent lather and shave. I don't think it can match the QED's (or, for that matter, the Willi G.) for closeness of shave, and, overall, it's not in the same league as, say, a Harris, T&H, or Trumper soap. Still, it's no slouch. I find it to be a particularly good deal- around $8 for a cake that lasts a very long time. Most of the big boys will run you double that.

I guess the opposite is true for me. C&E soaps and creams perform better for me than all the other soaps I own (QED, T&H, Tabac). Everybody is different.

Hi Peter!
let me give you a suggestion, try Crabtree & Evelyn almond soap or cream, because that gives a very soothing, pleasant lather. It's especially good for sensitive skin.

Jeff

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
roughrider said:
I guess the opposite is true for me. C&E soaps and creams perform better for me than all the other soaps I own (QED, T&H, Tabac). Everybody is different.

That's why there's chocolate and vanilla. The C&E sandalwood cream has to be one of the best examples of that scent.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I used it about 30 years ago. And don’t recall any problem except that the wooden bowl it came in warped.

C&E Sandalwood was a stinger for me, too. I could use the soap, and I finished it, but it certainly wasn’t the most comfortable soap I’ve used. I am a couple weeks into a puck of Nomad, and it is not a stinger, thankfully.

Top Bottom