What's new

Couldn’t Wait

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
King Gillette gave many thousands of his razors to troops in WWI. Compared to shaving with a straight razor in a trench I’ll bet they were considered “safety”. In any case, I believe that marketing move was the beginning of the demise of the straight razor.

King Gillette gave many thousands of his razors to troops in WWI. Compared to shaving with a straight razor in a trench I’ll bet they were considered “safety”. In any case, I believe that marketing move was the beginning of the demise of the straight razor.

Yeah, in a trench yes.

I was also amazed at how easy it was for me to learn on a shavette with very little blood in my 18 shaves and my first five shaves with a straight razor. With this little experience, I can use both types of razors to shave my head. I have read and heard that it was difficult to shave with each type. I guess there are a few of us like twelvefret, steveclarkus and others who are just naturally gifted to quickly acquire the skills. Happy Shaving!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I was also amazed at how easy it was for me to learn on a shavette with very little blood in my 18 shaves and my first five shaves with a straight razor. With this little experience, I can use both types of razors to shave my head. I have read and heard that it was difficult to shave with each type. I guess there are a few of us like twelvefret, steveclarkus and others who are just naturally gifted to quickly acquire the skills. Happy Shaving!
If you can shave with a shavette without blood, a regular straight razor should be a piece of cake.

Thanks ScottChapin. However, it was my previous 18 shave experience with a half DE disposable blade Dovo shavette that made my transition to a straight easier. With my shavete, I had to learn to use the right angle and soft touch, otherwise, it is very unforgiving.

Thanks ScottChapin. However, it was my previous 18 shave experience with a half DE disposable blade Dovo shavette that made my transition to a straight easier. With my shavete, I had to learn to use the right angle and soft touch, otherwise, it is very unforgiving.
Learning on shavettes is definitely a trial by fire and, if you persist, makes the transition to a proper straight easier. I think most of us caution against it for fear that many, if not most, new shavers will not persist and get turned off to SR razors. Good on you.

Well there you go. I contemplated doing that, but just dove in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used a razor this morning honed by an experienced person using those JNAT type stones. This is a reoccurring observation, these razors are not what I prefer as much as those I've prepared myself using lapping films, Chromium Oxide, and stropping. Which leads me to say that "shave ready" is a broad designation. When we tell a new user his problem is technique, this may not be accurate.

That said, I had no problem achieving a great, effective shave this morning and I am not complaining about the condition of the bevel/edge.

Used a razor this morning honed by an experienced person using those JNAT type stones. This is a reoccurring observation, these razors are not what I prefer as much as those I've prepared myself using lapping films, Chromium Oxide, and stropping. Which leads me to say that "shave ready" is a broad designation. When we tell a new user his problem is technique, this may not be accurate.

That said, I had no problem achieving a great, effective shave this morning and I am not complaining about the condition of the bevel/edge.

That being said, I’m sure some dealers don’t want to get the blade sharper than most would be willing to accept. They don’t want a reputation of selling dangerously (however you want to define that) sharp blades.

That being said, I’m sure some dealers don’t want to get the blade sharper than most would be willing to accept. They don’t want a reputation of selling dangerously (however you want to define that) sharp blades.

Hadn't thought of that ,Scott. Just from the posts here it seems more are complaining the razor is not ready to go.

Hadn't thought of that ,Scott. Just from the posts here it seems more are complaining the razor is not ready to go.

That would be true of any product. The Nikon D200 was demonized even though it was a great camera at the time. You only heard from the unhappy owners.

I have found all of my shave ready blades from Straight Razor Designs (which sadly appears to be going out of business) capable of a decent shave, with good technique. Still, I’m an obsessing perfectionist always searching for the Holy Grail.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I believe the Holy Grail is The Method. It just doesn’t cost enough to catch on and is too simple. i.e. no MoJo.

Top Bottom