What's new

Couldn’t Wait

Best shave using three passes WTG and one ATG on neck. I would be satisfied for life getting this result. Many thanks to @steveclarkus for his suggestions, guidance, and instruction on prepping and maintaining a blade.

I just hope others are encouraged to begin this journey. If you have an interest in hobby shaving, don't not consider a SR because you think it is more dangerous than a Fat Boy. Once you begin to develop the skills to use a SR you will soon forget to even how to spell fat and boy. You will be a full hollow 15/16 man...LOL!!!

The "sub-mandible" area as @ScottChapin refers to them are areas where I must pay attention. I am now able to shave ATG on my neck and those sub-mandibles". Right now I can feel nothing but smooth skin from this mornings shave. Pretty cool result from sharpened steel. And, the best part, I did it myself.

The "sub-mandible" area as @ScottChapin refers to them are areas where I must pay attention. I am now able to shave ATG on my neck and those sub-mandibles". Right now I can feel nothing but smooth skin from this mornings shave. Pretty cool result from sharpened steel. And, the best part, I did it myself.

+1. Me too still, but I’m getting close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used a well worn and loved John Holler today. I say loved because it was not abused. It arrived undamaged, just some surface issues from disuse. I like to imagine it belonged to a professional or someone who respected the blade all its life. I'm trying to do due diligence to pass it forward the same as I found it. I figure that I am borrowing the blade because with adequate attention, it will last forever.

I made three pass WTG and one ATG on my neck. The 9/16 width makes navigating curves a breeze.

The honing was done by me on lapping films and finished on chromium oxide with the rough out leather paddle. I call the result "buttery sharp". Now, this is not the sharpest razor I have and takes more participation, but just as effective as it's other stable mates.

I am pleased with my SR evolution. I never suspected the positive experiences. I figured I would try it and move back to the SE GEM and Schick type. I've made a good friend and appreciate the communication and encouragement of @steveclarkus. I've also tried to follow his lead and encouraged other via the PM service. I trust others reading our posts will consider learning to use a SR and develop the skills to hone and maintain the blade. There is a "brotherhood of the blade" that we share with men going back centuries. From the old Sheffield grinders to the modern factories, stone makers, steel producers, and men learning the sparkle of using a "straight" we share a common experience. It is all good.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I used a well worn and loved John Holler today. I say loved because it was not abused. It arrived undamaged, just some surface issues from disuse. I like to imagine it belonged to a professional or someone who respected the blade all its life. I'm trying to do due diligence to pass it forward the same as I found it. I figure that I am borrowing the blade because with adequate attention, it will last forever.

I made three pass WTG and one ATG on my neck. The 9/16 width makes navigating curves a breeze.

The honing was done by me on lapping films and finished on chromium oxide with the rough out leather paddle. I call the result "buttery sharp". Now, this is not the sharpest razor I have and takes more participation, but just as effective as it's other stable mates.

I am pleased with my SR evolution. I never suspected the positive experiences. I figured I would try it and move back to the SE GEM and Schick type. I've made a good friend and appreciate the communication and encouragement of @steveclarkus. I've also tried to follow his lead and encouraged other via the PM service. I trust others reading our posts will consider learning to use a SR and develop the skills to hone and maintain the blade. There is a "brotherhood of the blade" that we share with men going back centuries. From the old Sheffield grinders to the modern factories, stone makers, steel producers, and men learning the sparkle of using a "straight" we share a common experience. It is all good.
Well, you’re obviously in it for the long haul. The beauty of it is that it is going to get even better! I just had salt pork and cornbread for breakfast to celebrate.

Well, you’re obviously in it for the long haul. The beauty of it is that it is going to get even better! I just had salt pork and cornbread for breakfast to celebrate.

You've just scored some significant toys this week, Sir. I cannot wait for a proper write up. Thanks for all you do and especially your international PIF program. :)

So, today's shave with the Celebrated Rifle Razor was exactly what I thought it would be. That have used the same honing method for every razor, this one is special....very sharp and requires a different approach from the John Holler near wedge I used yesterday. No pressure required. Just let the blade fall with the correct angle and it cuts effortlessly.

Not that it matters, but today I departed from my usual shave ritual and immediately did an ATG neck shave to start.

I continue to positively evolve. I try to concentrate on one area instead of hopping around. I think hopping around is the genesis of cuts. I still have to make sure I have the correct angle for each of those areas because one size does not fit all.

Also I am able to use the Schick E Type less but for a small area in which the hair has an odd growth due to a childhood accident in which I must have sustained a pretty bad cut. I also like to have a clean cut for my side burns instead of trying to set them with a horizontal stroke.

After shaving I always strop on linen and horse hide. Use a large pipe cleaner for between the scales, and put away in a dry areas.

I used the Wade and Butcher True Wedge for two passes since another pass was not needed as have been with the hollow type. This is an impressive razor that surprised me as it was easier to hone than expected given some of the feedback I had read. Using one piece of quality Scotch brand electrical tape, I went through my films.

So, I've learned much in the two months since using a SR. Not sure where to go from here. Probably just settle down and enjoy the varieties I've amassed.

Can't thank @steveclarkus enough for this generosity and tutelage. He outlined a path that was easy to follow and made an otherwise steep learning curve less steep and more fun.

Steve is the man for sure! Looks like you’re well on your way now, and have a great variety with which to work. The degree to which this is a daily task, or a hobby to pursue is going to be different for everyone, so where to go from here is totally in your cup. As you are well aware, this rabbit hole continues quite a lot deeper.

Steve is the man for sure! Looks like you’re well on your way now, and have a great variety with which to work. The degree to which this is a daily task, or a hobby to pursue is going to be different for everyone, so where to go from here is totally in your cup. As you are well aware, this rabbit hole continues quite a lot deeper.
I'm a about to the bottom of the hole when the Herder 15/16 arrives.

Top Bottom