What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

Legion

Staff member
Was an interesting one that, how's it like to hone on? I obviously never used it on a razor myself.

I have since seen a couple of other stones with a similar hole, and they were also smaller, narrower hones. I assume it must have been for a bit of cord or leather, to have the stone attached to you in some way with easy access for use.

Makes me wonder... when were pockets invented?
The kangaroo was invented in 1799, by Sir Elliot Kangaroo of Kensington. He envisioned a creature who could follow him around court, while holding his essential every day carry.

Last edited:
How I love cotis and how easy they are to clean and lap. I can't really find something definitive about what the layer might be; it doesn't have the La Grise surface pattern I don't think, so any thoughts appreciated...

7 x 2 x 3/4". SG is 2.99

IMG-0030.JPG

IMG-0031.JPG

IMG-0002.JPG

IMG-0001.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking stone! I chuckled when I saw the line about 'butlers and barbers'. I'm guessing they intended 'cutlers' since I don't tend to think of butlers having much need for whetstones.
Actually, I don't think it was a mistake. I found this passage from Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management, first published in 1861. Now, it describes here the valet, not the butler, as being responsible for making sure "all the articles of the toilet should be in their places, the razors properly set and stropped..." Later it describes that the valet should be prepared to shave the master if he wished.

Other sources attest that within a few decades, with serving staffs getting smaller, that the butler generally took on the duties traditionally assigned to the valet and footman as well. And he would have been responsible for the silverware, including the carving knives, (as opposed to the cook who would deal with the other kitchen cutlery).

Mrs_Beeton's_Book_of_Household_Management.djvu.jpg

The kangaroo was invented in 1799, by Sir Elliot Kangaroo of Kensington. He envisioned a creature who could follow him around court, while holding his essential every day carry.

Ah yes, Sir Elliot... famously unwavering in his admiration of the pocket, be it on man or beast!

The pocket itself seems to have become popular some 300 years before the invention of his 'Kangaroo'. Though to this day we still struggle for pocket equality between the genders. So perhaps your coticule belonged to a lady whetter...

Screenshot 2022-08-01 232620.png

Screenshot 2022-08-01 231238.png

Actually, I don't think it was a mistake. I found this passage from Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management, first published in 1861. Now, it describes here the valet, not the butler, as being responsible for making sure "all the articles of the toilet should be in their places, the razors properly set and stropped..." Later it describes that the valet should be prepared to shave the master if he wished.

Other sources attest that within a few decades, with serving staffs getting smaller, that the butler generally took on the duties traditionally assigned to the valet and footman as well. And he would have been responsible for the silverware, including the carving knives, (as opposed to the cook who would deal with the other kitchen cutlery).

View attachment 1497602

Nice find!

Legion

Staff member
That'd be interesting to know.

The theory here is sound I think... because spessartine garnet is so heavy in comparison to most other common minerals the SG of coticules and BBW should have a fairly close correlation with how quick they are. (Obviously hardness will come into play too).
The LPB came in at 2.99, but to be fair almost 2/3 of the stone is BBW, so I don't know if that tells us much.

Umm... why is my coticule translucent? Does anybody else have a translucent coti?

Admittedly it’s not massively translucent, though it definitely passes light at the edges. And tbh I've never tried shining a light through one before, but they don't strike me as stones that would normally do this.

IMG-9890.jpg

IMG-9893.jpg

3D4340AA-8A06-4C5E-BDFC-36D5DADCE106.jpeg

Last edited:

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I’ve see it on a few brittle cotis that were oil soaked but only about 1/8” of penetration. Your is a rare example indeed.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Post a few more pics of that stone when you can Oli. That’s a strange one. Is that two little su bubbles toward the end?

I’ve see it on a few brittle cotis that were oil soaked but only about 1/8” of penetration. Your is a rare example indeed.

This sounds about right... I'd say the light goes down somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4, and after lapping and cleaning it a bit more than the pics above - it's developed a flaky appearance under the surface. You can't feel those bits, but it certainly looks brittle.

Though the two little dark marks at the end you can feel under a fingernail, as kinda pock marks / su. Also has a few bright orange sploges on it, and some leafy patterns up the other end.

Certainly a slightly strange stone, and clearly pretty old. It's on the softer side, cuts quite quickly and coti-like, though one of the most strange things is that it has an SG of 2.67. Which is far, far lower than any coticule I've measured before - not even in the same ball park.

IMG-0191.jpg

IMG-0194.jpg

IMG-0196.jpg

IMG-0199.JPG

Legion

Staff member
Umm... why is my coticule translucent? Does anybody else have a translucent coti?

Admittedly it’s not massively translucent, though it definitely passes light at the edges. And tbh I've never tried shining a light through one before, but they don't strike me as stones that would normally do this.

View attachment 1499309

View attachment 1499310

View attachment 1499305
PDSO?

An all yellow coti should have an SG of about 3.00. I’d have to think, along with all the other visual weirdness, that must be something else.

View attachment 1499309

View attachment 1499310

View attachment 1499305

Quick put it online for sale as a Translucent Butterscotch Arkansas Coticule! Just wait till the $$$ comes rolling in!!!

For seriousness, it might be related to the hybrid coticules which are primarily silica and this happens to be a highly translucent type. I don't think I've ever seen one quite like that however. It has alot of novaculite features such as the arkansas cracks and flakes that happen on idwals, but the color is pure coticule. The sg also tells of it being more novaculite. It looks like a killer finisher stone to me.

View attachment 1499309

View attachment 1499310

View attachment 1499305
I bet that's a khaki Charnly. The little flakes in the surface scream novaculite imo. Either way fantastic score.

Top Bottom