What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

Thank You @David And @ables
I don't know noting about lion brand
The information That I have is that the stone has been imported to Bulgaria in between 1921-1926
Have no idea about producer and vein
Any information is appreciated
Thank you guys

Legion

Staff member
Ah cool, ty. I thought I might've heard that before somewhere about BBW that was next to the coticule (why I put the little disclaimer in).

I don't think I've got any non-natural-combi BBW atm. When you're next doing some SGs though - it'd be interesting to know what that thin one I sent you comes in at.
Measured that BBW. 2.92

While I was about it I measured that old coti in the paddle I traded off you, because its the only one I have that doesn't have another type of stone bonded to it. That came in at 3.00, on the money.

Last edited:
Measured that BBW. 2.92

While I was about it I measured that old coti in the paddle I traded off you, because its the only one I have that doesn't have another type of stone bonded to it. That came in at 3.00, on the money.

Ah interesting, so it isn't necessarily the case that BBW is higher then. As you say - it's a bit difficult to get a lot of data reference for this because they're so often stuck together.

The stone I use in the vid on the previous page is the one that's 3.22 (combi), it was the big 10" stone off Ausbay. And is quite extraordinarily fast, swarfs up almost like an SG500 while finishing as fine as any I've had.

Legion

Staff member
Ah interesting, so it isn't necessarily the case that BBW is higher then. As you say - it's a bit difficult to get a lot of data reference for this because they're so often stuck together.

The stone I use in the vid on the previous page is the one that's 3.22 (combi), it was the big 10" stone off Ausbay. And is quite extraordinarily fast, swarfs up almost like an SG500 while finishing as fine as any I've had.
Hmmm. My fastest coti is my LPB combo (I had another even faster from the same vein, but I sold it). I cant find in my notes if I ever measured it, so I might tomorrow.

Hmmm. My fastest coti is my LPB combo (I had another even faster from the same vein, but I sold it). I cant find in my notes if I ever measured it, so I might tomorrow.

That'd be interesting to know.

The theory here is sound I think... because spessartine garnet is so heavy in comparison to most other common minerals the SG of coticules and BBW should have a fairly close correlation with how quick they are. (Obviously hardness will come into play too).

Legion

Staff member
That'd be interesting to know.

The theory here is sound I think... because spessartine garnet is so heavy in comparison to most other common minerals the SG of coticules and BBW should have a fairly close correlation with how quick they are. (Obviously hardness will come into play too).
Possibly, yes. I've also read about the correlation between red colour, or blush, and the speed. Which would make sense since garnets are red.

I guess it depends on the % of garnet to mud ratio. I always assumed the garnets would make up about 1% of the rock, so it would have little effect on the weight.

Legion

Staff member
So, this one has been posted before, but I have it out of its paddle tonight, so here it is again.

It is clearly very old, but the thing that sets it apart is the hole. The hole makes me sure it predates the (antique) paddle, because why would a hone puttied into a paddle need a hole?

Does anyone have any info or other similar examples? It's not backed by any other stone.

The romantic part of me wants to imagine it hanging off some Roman or Gaulish soldiers belt 2000 years ago, but who knows. Some Belgian might have had it nailed to the floor to stop the door banging the wall.

D6FF8B05-9DD7-4945-8D5C-62281E660FA6.jpeg

Last edited:
Possibly, yes. I've also read about the correlation between red colour, or blush, and the speed. Which would make sense since garnets are red.

I guess it depends on the % of garnet to mud ratio. I always assumed the garnets would make up about 1% of the rock, so it would have little effect on the weight.

Yeah apparently it can be much higher, so could have a very large impact. There's actually an interesting little bit in G&H about this I notice:

Screenshot 2022-08-01 203027.png

Thats both interesting and confusing.

This made me laugh.

In fact I think in any matter: 'interesting' and 'confusing' also probably have a fairly strong +ve correlation.

So on a slate hone, what percentage is quartz (or whatever the cutting component happens to be)?

Good q... google tells me 20-40%. Which is surprisingly high again I think. The reason that slate is quite slow is because it's not very friable and the silica gets kinda compressed and flattened during lithification and metamorphic change.

Screenshot 2022-08-01 205417.png

Measured that BBW. 2.92

I've got a piece of BBW that also came in at 2.92. I measured it for kicks and giggles months ago

Well all this chat clearly brought me some good fortune...

I thought I had opened all the boxes of exciting new things, but just found another. And inside was a hefty old chunk of coticule :).

This has a very gradual transition to a thin layer of BBW on the bottom. Which I seem to remember being quite distinctive of a particular layer(?). Can any experts enlighten me...

3B7BE1DA-A182-40E0-BA23-FA1FB3751A7C.jpeg

C397C751-15D8-49B6-A7D9-072692EBB0EE.jpeg

FFFE9E1F-78A7-4325-A2FA-BC0DDBBA856C.jpeg

So, this one has been posted before, but I have it out of its paddle tonight, so here it is again.

It is clearly very old, but the thing that sets it apart is the hole. The hole makes me sure it predates the (antique) paddle, because why would a hone puttied into a paddle need a hole?

Does anyone have any info or other similar examples? It's not backed by any other stone.

The romantic part of me wants to imagine it hanging off some Roman or Gaulish soldiers belt 2000 years ago, but who knows. Some Belgian might have had it nailed to the floor to stop the door banging the wall.

View attachment 1497552

Was an interesting one that, how's it like to hone on? I obviously never used it on a razor myself.

I have since seen a couple of other stones with a similar hole, and they were also smaller, narrower hones. I assume it must have been for a bit of cord or leather, to have the stone attached to you in some way with easy access for use.

Makes me wonder... when were pockets invented?

Well all this chat clearly brought me some good fortune...

I thought I had opened all the boxes of exciting new things, but just found another. And inside was a hefty old chunk of coticule :).

This has a very gradual transition to a thin layer of BBW on the bottom. Which I seem to remember being quite distinctive of a particular layer(?). Can any experts enlighten me...

View attachment 1497579

View attachment 1497580

View attachment 1497581

La Grise perhaps...? (I shall update with more pics once I've cleaned it up).

Top Bottom