What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

It has really heavy draw. I used to have one slightly under 5x2 I sold to a friend that looked similar to this but was glued. The bbw had lots of pinhead white dots. This one's a little different though. The draw is really interesting as it feels dead smooth and it has some citting power but I wouldn't call it fast. The heaviness of the draw sort of distracts from the other feedback. A bit of audio. It's going to take awhile to reach the potential of it.

Hard to tell from the pics, but if the thinnest part is 5mm that is plenty of mileage for razors. I’d probably just flatten the whole thing until it was flush.

the last one I did, the thin part in the middle was closer to 3mm, and the ends were about 9mm. I elected to cut the ends off for slurry stones, and flattened the middle, which was still close to barber hone size.

In hindsight I would probably have just cut off one end for slurry, have a bit longer main hone, and flushed the rest away to make it flat.

So I received this today, stone's a bit larger than I thought: 200mm x 48mm:

IMG-1993.jpg

On one side the thinnest bit is still a good 5mm:

IMG-1995.jpg

On the other though it goes down to about 3mm:

IMG-1994.jpg

The way it's dished makes it a bit annoying. As far as I can see my options are lapping it flat at an angle and lose about half the height of the coticule at the thick end:

IMG-1987.jpg

Or chop into two 100x48mm stones:

IMG-1989.jpg

Or something else... what do we reckon?

Legion

Staff member
So I received this today, stone's a bit larger than I thought: 200mm x 48mm:

View attachment 1297474

On one side the thinnest bit is still a good 5mm:

View attachment 1297470

On the other though it goes down to about 3mm:

View attachment 1297469

The way it's dished makes it a bit annoying. As far as I can see my options are lapping it flat at an angle and lose about half the height of the coticule at the thick end:

View attachment 1297472

Or chop into two 100x48mm stones:

View attachment 1297473

Or something else... what do we reckon?
Mine was about the same as that, but it was glued. Since that is a natural combo I would keep the finished stone as large as possible, and carefully lap the whole thing flat.

That also means it will still fit in its box properly.

Its a cool old stone though. Your hands and arms will be sore by the time you get it done, but it should be worth it.

Since you are a knife guy, you might start with lapping the bottom and trying the blue side. I use the blue on my natural combo for knives so I don't dish the yellow side.

Last edited:
Mine was about the same as that, but it was glued. Since that is a natural combo I would keep the finished stone as large as possible, and carefully lap the whole thing flat.

That also means it will still fit in its box properly.

Its a cool old stone though. Your hands and arms will be sore by the time you get it done, but it should be worth it.

Since you are a knife guy, you might start with lapping the bottom and trying the blue side. I use the blue on my natural combo for knives so I don't dish the yellow side.

Cheers mate! That was my inclination too... cutting it in half seemed silly for a good size natural combo, especially as you say when it has the box. People may be about to baulk at what I'm about to say, but if and when I do that - I'll probably do at least some of it on a fine grit belt. (I do use this for quite intricate delicate handle work, and have used on stones before so have some practice).

But before I build up the courage for that... good call - I'll definitely try out the BBW side properly, which is flatter anyway so will only need a min or two with an atoma.

The box it came with it quite nice too, looks like interesting wood once I clean it up a bit. And has a big '8' in the top, which I assume refers to the length in inches (?)

IMG-1996.jpg

Legion

Staff member
Cheers mate! That was my inclination too... cutting it in half seemed silly for a good size natural combo, especially as you say when it has the box. People may be about to baulk at what I'm about to say, but if and when I do that - I'll probably do at least some of it on a fine grit belt. (I do use this for quite intricate delicate handle work, and have used on stones before so have some practice).

But before I build up the courage for that... good call - I'll definitely try out the BBW side properly, which is flatter anyway so will only need a min or two with an atoma.

The box it came with it quite nice too, looks like interesting wood once I clean it up a bit. And has a big '8' in the top, which I assume refers to the length in inches (?)

View attachment 1297511

I zapped the last couple of Thuris I flattened on a belt before finishing them on a atoma. The last coti I did by hand because it was softer and cost me more money.

I zapped the last couple of Thuris I flattened on a belt before finishing them on a atoma. The last coti I did by hand because it was softer and cost me more money.

That’s reassuring then! :)

Also - I hadn’t realised how pretty BBW was until I lapped it just now. All sorts of green/blue/red colours going through it, and very purple slurry.

Bit tricky to see from this pic. But very pretty in person...

1DC8D759-B68F-4757-A47F-80DC5A390DDC.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
That’s reassuring then! :)

Also - I hadn’t realised how pretty BBW was until I lapped it just now. All sorts of green/blue/red colours going through it, and very purple slurry.

Bit tricky to see from this pic. But very pretty in person...

View attachment 1297521
Yeah, they can be nice looking. I’ve not had the very best results on razors when comparing them head to head with the yellow side, but they can be very good for knives, and woodworking tools.

From mail call today. I bought this alone with a smaller stone and a couple of beat up razors. The fella said it came from an estate sale, said they were with a bunch of antiques. The house itself was 200+ years old. Couldn’t really really by the pics so it was a hope and a prayer that it was what I’d thought it was. Sure enough, got lucky. And natural combo to boot

It’s got a bit of a pinkish hue to it.
081BAA13-9EB5-445E-902C-4C46C2D6D763.jpeg
845C79C3-66E8-479A-9C03-61DF376597DC.jpeg
CEE38B7A-DE6C-4749-9B6B-D554AC972B95.jpeg
BD9A9AAA-7F59-43DC-990F-DA0275124C54.jpeg

I've just got myself a no8 bout and I don't have a slurry stone with it. Could I ask if a Belgian chunk is the same as a slurry stone?
Sorry for asking on this thread but thought as you guys all got coticule you would be the best to answer for me.

Legion

Staff member
I've just got myself a no8 bout and I don't have a slurry stone with it. Could I ask if a Belgian chunk is the same as a slurry stone?
Sorry for asking on this thread but thought as you guys all got coticule you would be the best to answer for me.
I'm not sure I've ever heard the term Belgian Chunk. Sounds like an ice cream flavour.

I think Ardennes sells the smallest size bouts intending them to be used as slurry stones.

I think Belgian chunks is just the literal translation of the German word for coticule, (belgischer Brocken)
Rob

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I puts a smile on my face when I find grimy stones in the wild, clean and lap, than discover these beauty were waiting to be revealed. A 7” glued and a 2x4 natural worn down thin. Did not think much of them until I lapped and some impressive surfaces showed themselves. Have not played with them yet but the 7” was a bear to lap. Last picture wet to get the colors to pop

DC20364C-B66D-4AED-A023-70F730BB51BD.jpeg
A562D975-3064-4EFC-B2D0-322632BC5F26.jpeg
D9650801-3E0A-496D-8273-93F04DC3F068.jpeg

I puts a smile on my face when I find grimy stones in the wild, clean and lap, than discover these beauty were waiting to be revealed. A 7” glued and a 2x4 natural worn down thin. Did not think much of them until I lapped and some impressive surfaces showed themselves. Have not played with them yet but the 7” was a bear to lap. Last picture wet to get the colors to pop
Beautiful! I just started with coticules so i don't have a crazy collection but in my humble collection i do have these + la veinette hone and lat bout and la grise axe natural combo in the mail and im in the process of getting Rob to pick me out a lpb bout. The little broken bout is a lpb, dropped it after its first use but man was it a sweet finisher for the coticule past of my progression(when i hone on coticules for people). Im teaching my 7yo son to use them. Dry/wet pics..20210806_150058.jpg20210806_150108.jpg20210806_150112.jpg20210806_150114.jpg20210806_150125.jpg20210806_150231.jpg20210806_150235.jpg20210806_150130.jpg20210806_150136.jpg

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Beautiful! I just started with coticules so i don't have a crazy collection but in my humble collection i do have these + la veinette hone and lat bout and la grise axe natural combo in the mail and im in the process of getting Rob to pick me out a lpb bout. The little broken bout is a lpb, dropped it after its first use but man was it a sweet finisher for the coticule past of my progression(when i hone on coticules for people). Im teaching my 7yo son to use them. Dry/wet pics..View attachment 1307956View attachment 1307957View attachment 1307958View attachment 1307959View attachment 1307960View attachment 1307961View attachment 1307962View attachment 1307963View attachment 1307964

For just starting, very nice collection

Top Bottom